PDA

View Full Version : question for anyone who knows pc's

halfassedjediknight
01-06-2008, 06:05 AM
well, long story short..i got a trojan and some malware or something somehow, and basically it messed with my video cards drivers and did all sorts of crazy stuff to my pc and its now basically out of commission. i have a burned copy of windows xp pro but for some reason my pc, when powering up and asking me to boot from cd, wont read the disc. is it because its a burned disc? or maybe the virus messed with my disc drive? im not too up to par with pc tech stuff so im not sure if i need to buy a new copy of windows or just go crazy and get a new hard drive or what.

killerweed420
01-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Its possible a bad burned disc. You can download some bootable discs from the web. And then try to run the install from your cd and see if it works. If you can get to install make sure you do a complete reformat of the harddrive.

halfassedjediknight
01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
i heard that if you need the bootable discs (i think theyre called setup discs) then thats a big red flag.

job1.5
01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
i have a version of xp you can download to the usb memory stick and boot from it. if you need it shoot me a pm and i will email it to you with the instructions

halfassedjediknight
01-08-2008, 01:31 AM
i have a version of xp you can download to the usb memory stick and boot from it. if you need it shoot me a pm and i will email it to you with the instructions

i dont get how that would work haha

babystarbud
01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
you need to tell the pc to boot from the cd/dvd drive first, in the BIOS settings, have you done that?

halfassedjediknight
01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
you need to tell the pc to boot from the cd/dvd drive first, in the BIOS settings, have you done that?

yeah i did that. i messed around in the BIOS forever. nothin doin there. i even took the hdd off the boot queue so it wouldnt boot my existing copy of windows, but it still didnt work. it just gives me an error message saying it cant read the disc or i need to insert the disc and hit enter to retry.

i think the problem is that its a burned disc. sometimes when you burn programs like windows, etc, onto a disc, other pc's have a hard time reading the program. you need like a top-of-the-line, brand new disc drive to read them. at least thats what ive heard. doesnt make sense to me, ive burned discs in that drive a lot of times.

Daveracer
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
You can't boot from a USB stick, c'monnnnnn.

It's your CD, or even the image you burned onto the CD. If you want a bootable version, let me know. I have one.

BUDSHOTS
01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
well, long story short..i got a trojan and some malware or something somehow, and basically it messed with my video cards drivers and did all sorts of crazy stuff to my pc and its now basically out of commission. i have a burned copy of windows xp pro but for some reason my pc, when powering up and asking me to boot from cd, wont read the disc. is it because its a burned disc? or maybe the virus messed with my disc drive? im not too up to par with pc tech stuff so im not sure if i need to buy a new copy of windows or just go crazy and get a new hard drive or what.
WAS THE BURNED DISK READABLE IN ANOTHER MACHINE..HOW OLD IS THE DRIVE IS IT DVD OR CDR..WHAT CDR..RW- OR PLUS...SOMETIMES RE JUMPERING THE SLAVE OR MASTER JUMPERS... BAD SECTORS GOOD LUCK I SPENT 17 HOURS ON MY KIDS COMPUTER!

halfassedjediknight
01-09-2008, 10:15 PM

It's your CD, or even the image you burned onto the CD. If you want a bootable version, let me know. I have one.

what do you mean exactly? a bootable version of windows that you could send me in email or something that i would have to download?

Daveracer
01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
what do you mean exactly? a bootable version of windows that you could send me in email or something that i would have to download?

I can send you a burned CD.

4drian
01-11-2008, 02:35 AM
copy all the files inside of the windows xp cd and download nlite it's a free program, this programs creates a personalized windows xp installation cd and have an option to create bootable cd: :jointsmile:
nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Download (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html)

epxroot
01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
What kind of disk are you trying to boot from? Does your drive support this type of media? Is it a DVD, or CD?

12345-54321
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
2 quick things:

1. check that your cd/dvd drive is still good with another disc
2. have someone send you a winxp cd, I can or someone else, get in touch.

If you have a copy of win 2000, you can use it to boot with.

lost_coast
01-23-2008, 04:53 AM
You may have a boot sector virus. If that is the case you need a bootable antivirus disk.

halfassedjediknight
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
if i had a windows disc i could just use that to repartition reformat and reinstall but my disc drive wont run a burned version of win xp because sometimes older disc drives wont run burned discs that are burned from other pc's ive heard. i forgot if it was this forum or another that i heard that on. so the burned win xp pro disc i tried to use wouldnt boot.

the virus that pc has is a trojan prorat virus, or a RAT (remote administrative tool) that gives other pc's access to your pc. it can get in undetected by firewalls and antivirus progs, so i need to just reinstall windows and wipe the drive. thats the problem. the virus has decayed some files too..like my video card driver..thats all it got to. so after i install a new copy of windows, i need to find the driver to my video card, etc.

but yeah, im having problems finding a disc for some reason. everyone is stingy, it sucks. haha.

i might have to downgrade to win xp home. its not much worse than xp pro, but meh. im used to pro.

halfassedjediknight
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
2 quick things:

1. check that your cd/dvd drive is still good with another disc
2. have someone send you a winxp cd, I can or someone else, get in touch.

If you have a copy of win 2000, you can use it to boot with.

1.i tried to boot on a burned disc but that didnt work..the disc drive is still good, im pretty sure of it. it just wont run a disc burned from another pc.

2.that disc was sent from a close friend so yeah, ive tried to have someone send me a disc. i think ill need to buy a new copy, or find a real winxp disc, not a burned copy. :wtf:

Funkmaster H.O.H.N.
01-30-2008, 04:34 AM
You could try booting from the win98 diskette that has cd-rom support, and make sure the xp disk is in the cd drive, and try accessing the cd from the CLI, and see if you can execute the setup program in that way. If not then, well, find a legit copy, or maybe ask one of the computer savvies in this thread to send you a known working disk.

dopedupdan
05-10-2008, 01:06 AM

you can boot from a usb stick, ive done it noob

Kingplush777
06-23-2008, 08:42 AM
No see...what you do is you boot that shit into safe mode. Then you RUN AVG safe mode (while in safe mode). Let it do a full scan, rid yourself of that bullshit. Then you get spybot S&D and run it in safe mode AGAIN and then get rid of that crap and you're all good.

Saves yourself an XP install.

Mindbender
07-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Download it and buy it. SpywareDoctor.com If anyone needs PC help email or message me.

stonerreakinhvk
03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
download malwarebytes anti-malware it works wonders