PDA

View Full Version : My new best friend, Patsy the bulldog!

stinkyattic
12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I got a new dog from the animal shelter this weekend. She's a 3 year old bulldog, looks like an OEB, who was a stray covered in fleas and she had 3 kinds of worms, but she's getting better and putting on some weight. She is a sweet mush ball and likes to sleep with her head on my pillow and her little wrinkly snout pushed up under my chin. She's dumb as a stump, unlike my old dog Tess, but she is very gentle and doesn't seem to have any dominance issues at ALL. I can take her food bowl away while she is eating and she just snorts at me. I think we are going to get on well!

birdgirl73
12-26-2007, 04:36 PM
She's cute as a bullly button! I like that first picture, especially. I hope y'all have a long and happy life together. Since she's young, perhaps she'll smarten up with repeated instruction and good pet mastery. I am still holding out hope on my four-year-old Chihuahua.

psteve
12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
She's beautiful!
What a great Xmas gift!

birdgirl73
12-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Others have probably already mentioned this upon meeting her in person, but I thought I'd state the fact here after further reflection on her photographs. Patsy has perfectly charming feet.

I think dog feet are the cutest things.

Dutch Pimp
12-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I told my dogs...they need to get a job. All they did is look away.

birdgirl73
12-26-2007, 05:49 PM
My husband says the same things to my dogs, Dutch P! He tells them they need to be looking for work at every opportunity. He also sometimes asks them, "Well, how were things today at 6839 East Street while I was out supporting you?" when he comes in from work. He doesn't like to acknowledge how much joy they add to his life.

stinkyattic
12-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Patsy has GINORMOUS feet. They belong on an English mastiff.

That's funny about the job; I call my tenant's Staffie 'Employee of the Month' because he is so attentive and obedient. His skills (and lack of opposable thumbs) leave something to be desired, but he gets an A for effort.

MVP
12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Very cute doggie. I'm happy for you (and Patsy too) that you found each other around the holidays. Hopefully she is not too much a bedhog...

stinkyattic
12-26-2007, 08:30 PM
lol! She IS a bed-hog, but I've got a king. There's almost enough room for both of us! :D

Weedhound
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
That an overbite? One of my chihuahuas has one...;) So did my favorite horse.

Well shes ADORABLE :thumbsup: LOVE the eye patch!! Don't be surprised if she really blossoms under your care. They always seem to be quiet, fearful animals when you first bring them home and then after awhile......where'd that quiet animal go? They've unpacked their suitcase and moved in. :D

Rescued dogs always seems to make the best pets. ;)

Weedhound
12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
overbite....underbite....i can never remember which is which.....:D

Weedhound
12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Ha ha GREAT head!! I could go on and on but I'll stop now...:wtf:

stinkyattic
12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Underbite, almost 3/4". A true bully. Yup, The Tess became a totally different animal after I had her about 10 months and got through her infected spay scar (total butchery, vet oughta be de-certed), skin allergies, and hand-shyness. Patsy shows no signs of having been abused, only neglected, so any emotional problems she may have simply manifest as clinginess. Today is the first day that I've left her alone at home for a full work day, and I'm taking bets on the condition of my house when I return. Here are the odds:
1-1 She's happy to see me and wants food when I get home
4-1 She's dug all the socks out of my laundry basket and hidden them
5-1 She's dug all the socks out of my laundry basket and eaten them
8-1 She's laying belly-up on the sofa in a puddle of drool snoring like a freight train
12-1 She WAS snoring like a freight train, but it bothered my tenants so much that they took her downstairs for playtime with their Staffie just to shut her up

Weedhound
12-26-2007, 08:49 PM
You like to live dangerously don't you? :D

Neglect shows its own way I've found.....I am still betting she will blossom greatly under your care. (Ps....socks are GONE babe, buried under the 6 foot pile of carpet that's been torn away from the floor...now the CARPET PADDING that you can't find....she ate.) :S2:

PS...I am a terrible owner. My 4 chihuahuas got into some hershey's kisses the other day and ALL had to go to the hospital and vomit and get some charcoal. Those bastards!!!!!! :mad:

stinkyattic
12-26-2007, 09:05 PM
OMG that must have been some excitement you could have lived without.
I beat her to the punch on the carpet; I tore it out a while ago and never got around to replacing it.... that was back in ehhhhhhhh.... June? It's asbestos tile now, but our own dear Chron has apparently picked out a crate of Brazilian cherry laminate flooring to go with the dark stain on my Mission-style furniture. So I will have a nice floor again soon. What are friends for, if not to give generous yet un-subtle hints that indeed it is time to stop whining about having to look at 60 year old asbestos, and DO something about it, already! hahaha.
As for the socks, I gave her a giant rawhide bone right before I left. We'll see how long it kept her occupied.

So for comparison, here's a pair of side-by-side pictures of Miss Tess and Patsy. Tess is the one with the brown ear as well as a patch on her left eye, while Patsy has one only on her right. But both are white with brindle eye patches, and have speckles in their coats, and black spots all over their skin. Both were strays from the same small run-down city. Both have very distinct OEB traits, and that's a pretty rare breed. I think there's someone breeding these bullies and then letting them stray, and I strongly suspect both came from the same 'breeder'... look for yourself; I don't believe in coincidence.

Psycho4Bud
12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
VERY nice looking dogs!! My buddy had one kind of like that.......feed it some rawhide and it got TERRIBLE gas. lol

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

stinkyattic
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
That's 2 different dogs. Don't they look uncannily alike for a pair of strays?

And they BOTH could clear a room. Pheeeeew!

Psycho4Bud
12-26-2007, 09:20 PM
That's 2 different dogs. Don't they look uncannily alike for a pair of strays?

And they BOTH could clear a room. Pheeeeew!

LOL....just enough time for an edit.

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

Weedhound
12-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Boy they certainly DO like eerily similar.....that's pretty impressive. Do you live in a "small town" type thing.....in other words....a small spca? If so I bet you're right that those dogs could be twins and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were somehow related. So much for not getting a similar dog.....:D

You are going to LOVE your laminate flooring!! :thumbsup: Best thing in our house....bar none. Almost up there with the tractor......almost. ;) Say hi to Chron for me.......I see him sneak in and out but that's about it. :)

Hey, did Tess have an underbite?

Dave Byrd
12-27-2007, 03:11 AM
My husband . . . doesn't like to acknowledge how much joy they add to his life.
Was my response to this
a. Hysterical scoffing laughter?
b. A tender moment of reflection on canine affection?
c. Nausea and vomiting?
d. A tension headache from suppressing further unpleasant physical responses to your claim?
e. All of the above?
f. A, C and D above?*

Congrats on your new dog, Stinky. That's what I call a real dog. The little chihuahuas that Bird has trotting around here are not my idea of man's best friend. They're definitely the lady's. I'm glad they make her happy but I cannot honestly say they add joy to my life. They mostly add noise, odor and turds to it. Daisy, the fat one, can clear a room with her gas.

I'm getting more and more fond of our orange tabby. Your picture of Patsy makes me want a bulldog or a boxer or a lab--a nice solid, educable dog. Glad to hear you're a new mama after your loss.

* If you answered F, you win the grand prize. A first class ticket to Dallas to claim your two slightly used Texas Chihuahuas and all their paraphernalia plus an all-expenses-paid weekend with the Byrds.

Weedhound
12-27-2007, 03:53 AM
i'm sorry Dave I BEG to differ......my best friend's hubby is 6 feet 2 inches and you should SEE him and his chocolate and tan chihuahua "Tink'. What a pair!! :D

Dave Byrd
12-27-2007, 04:49 AM
I know they CAN be fond of men. I wish these two were. They don't like me, though, and never have. I compete with them for Bird's attention. That's why I say that here at home, they're the lady's best friend. They are her devoted protectors and defenders, and they think I'm to be defended against. I leaned over Bird in bed this morning and put my hand on her shoulder to wake her up (she was 3/4 asleep), and one of the little savages emerged from under the blanket and growled and bared her teeth at me. For talking to my own wife!

This is why I need a more laid back dog that'll appoint itself my best friend and protector. I want a dog that likes to ride in pickup trucks and golf carts. Maybe one with some training as a caddy.

Weedhound
12-27-2007, 05:38 AM
I have four and I have to admit....an asshole chihuahua is an ASSHOLE chihuahua. :wtf: Even my guys have no trouble copping a 'tude when it suits them......and it suits them a fair amount. :D

Weedhound
12-27-2007, 05:43 AM
This is why I need a more laid back dog that'll appoint itself my best friend and protector. I want a dog that likes to ride in pickup trucks and golf carts. Maybe one with some training as a caddy.

Your basic retriever works well for this....;) :)

Shovelhandle
12-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Great thread folks! Congrats on your new housemate Stinky, I love her. Patsy, cute name too.

I'm jealous. Someday...

Shov

stinkyattic
12-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I'd recommend AGAINST a purebred Boxer if you want a laid-back dog. You want to add ODOR? Boxers are also known for a sensitive digestive tract (That's putting it politely). I love them, but they are really intelligent and energetic and bore easily. A bored boxer, weighing in at 80 pounds of precise German engineering, will find a way to entertain himself that often involves furniture, drapes, shoes, woodwork...
Get a bulldog- American, Olde English, or Olde Boston. In fact, you are lucky to have an incredibly well-respected breeder right there in Texas, called Wired Kennels, that breeds Olde Boston Bulldogges. They are a smaller bulldogge that is built exactly like a scale model of Patsy, and bred for health and athletic ability. They also make great housepets. Here's a link, check out the gallery. SO cute. They breed OEBs on a limited basis too. Wired Kennels | Home of CH. Wired's Kodiak!!! (http://www.freewebs.com/boston_bulldogges/)

psteve
12-27-2007, 03:49 PM
I'd recommend AGAINST a purebred Boxer if you want a laid-back dog. You want to add ODOR? Boxers are also known for a sensitive digestive tract (That's putting it politely). I love them, but they are really intelligent and energetic and bore easily. A bored boxer, weighing in at 80 pounds of precise German engineering, will find a way to entertain himself that often involves furniture, drapes, shoes, woodwork... Here's where we finally disagree.
BOXERS ARE BEST!
We love boxers so much, we babysit other people's boxers when they go on holiday! We're watching one right now!
Yes, they're higher maintenance than some other dogs, but WELL WORTH IT!!!
Laid back? No. But they're not out of control.

Weedhound
12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
psteve that about pins them perfectly imo.....although Stinky makes a very good point about their.....digestive systems....:D

psteve
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
psteve that about pins them perfectly imo.....although Stinky makes a very good point about their.....digestive systems....:D
If you really want a stinky dog...
http://sirchumpsalot.unsquare.com/stink.jpg

But seriously, Dalmatians are the worst.

stinkyattic
12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE boxers. Tess was half boxer from the looks of things btw. She was MUCH MUCH smarter than Patsy. But I am at work 8 hours a day and can't be there to spend the time one needs to be a happy dog. OMG that pic is awesome.

the image reaper
12-27-2007, 04:53 PM
nice one, Stinky ... she got a sister ? ;)

birdgirl73
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
This thread just gets funnier. (Loved that picture, Steve!) I was not as taken by my husband's multiple choice attempts at humor.

I think Dave would have his sights on a Boxer mix, more likely. He is going to look at that bulldog site, I'm sure. Thanks for that!

Would a bulldog be apt to want to eat small, portly chihuahuas?

stinkyattic
12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Bulldog breeds. The different types of bulldogs. (http://www.bulldoginformation.com/bulldog-breeds-types.html)
^^ great resource for bully lovers, also check the 'molosser breeds' link on that site for boxers and other mastiffs.

Look what I found by entering the Houston zip code and 'bulldog' into petfinder!

Adopt Tupelo - Boxer,American Bulldog Dog [Mix] - Petfinder.com PetNotes (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9802749)
Boxer/Bully cross

Adopt *BINDI* - Boston Terrier,English Bulldog Dog - Petfinder.com PetNotes (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8251791)
Listed as Boston terrier/bully cross... what a gorgeous dog!

Weedhound
12-27-2007, 07:16 PM
LOL LOVE that photo!!! :thumbsup:

BG.....I think that depends on the bulldog.....;)

xcrispi
12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Sis .
New buddies rock !!!
Crispi :jointsmile:

texas grass
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
pretty little puppy
im glad you found a playfull little buddy and hope yall are best of friends for a long time to come

texas grass
01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
how has patsy been recently, have yall been having fun. got any more pics of her playing!

stinkyattic
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
My digicam just croaked but she is LOVING the snow. She got her first bath yesterday morning and was a proper lady about it, if a little put out by the indignity of having her spay scar inspected. lol. She loves riding in the car and the drive-through attendants always want to give her treats. She's putting on a little weight finally and is just the cutest, softest snugglebug EVER! I'll get some good pics when I figure out what's wrong with the cam.