PDA

View Full Version : Dogs & Fetch

hydroponicphx
12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Okay, so my Golden Retriever is a year old on Xmas day. He's a great dog, has never chewed things up, doesn't bark bad, doesn't bite, and hardly jumps up on people (still working on it with him)...oh, and did I mention that he's SMART. Was house trained at seven weeks old.
I have been working more and more on fetch with the tennis ball. He knows "find it" "bring it here" etc etc...everything except DROP. I have read and tried just about everything...pressure point, having him on a lead, treating, etc, but nothing seems to reach him as he always thinks it is a game and ducks out whenever I go for the ball. Does anyone have any advice? Maybe something I'm missing?
Thanks in advance!

MadSativa
12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
try using 2 balls. always keep one out of his sight, such as in your back pocket. When he brings the ball 2 you, then take that ball out and motion it so he can see it. hopefully he will drop the ball in his mouth and wait for the throw again. My dog has problems with bringing the ball back, she takes it to different places and drops it and then comes to me. So I play fetch with 2 frisbees, 2 balls, and some times 2 other toys. I just walk to where she stacks up the toys and then start all over again. I think she doesnt like that I stay stationary and she has to run, I dont mind she always leaves the toys within 50 feet so its not like im walking allover and forever. Her motions are funn sometimes, I think she is trying to throw the ball back to me. she has the ball in her mouth and she starts to jump in an odd manner like if she would realse the ball it would be thrown. shes frkin funny

dylan
12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Does your dog try to run with the ball when you try to grab it, or does he try to play tug?

If he is running you should practice Come; Sit; Stay, then pet on the head.

If he is playing tug you should get a tug toy, play tug, and practice Out, or Drop, manually opening his mouth with your hand on his snout in the begining. Then Sit; Bite.

Try to seperate the game of fetch with the innapropriate behavior. Then when you play fetch use the commands you tought in a different situation and only accept the correct behavior. You can be more lax at first, and give praise, but as he learns what you want become more strict before you reward him.

Hope this helps....let me know how this works.