PDA

View Full Version : Bud density

kushy420
12-21-2007, 10:58 PM
what determines whether a type of bud will be dense or not? is it the strain, growing, sorry just never actually thought about that

Cyclonite
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
First off...light intensity then strain.

kgb420
12-24-2007, 08:01 AM
as far as i know, it's strain first, and nutrients second.. indicas will generally produce tighter nugs, while sativas buds are a lot less dense than indicas'.

LIP
12-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Indicas are generally, [almost always] more compact. Then you've got your lights. The wattage, lumens and how close the lights are to the plant will make a big differnce.

Nutes will make some differnce, but not as much as the lighting. The nutes are more for just making the buds bigger, or increases calyxs.

But, if your buying from a dealer no doubt it's probably been compressed at some point, and then theres no real way of knowing if it was how it was grown, or how it was stored.

Theres lots and lots of factors. LOTS!

stinkyattic
01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Genetics first- Indica background promotes tighter buds.
Next, light intensity and type. Intense light in the spectrum produced by a HPD lamp is ideal for promoting bud density.
Last, fertilizers, including carbon. The grower must provide ample Phosphorous and Carbon for the plant to put on bud mass.

Density is not always a good thing, though. For example, strains meant to be grown outdoors in areas of frequent rainfall or higher humidity must have fluffy buds to dry out quickly before rot sets in.

FUNKNUGGET
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
^stinky knows her shit... i had a green crack plant outdoors a few years ago, the main cola was longer than my arm ad just about as wide as my head.... anyways it was dense as hell and one day i went out for watering and half of it was black/brown from rot.... lost a good 3-4 ounces of that cola alone...

J-dubb206
01-16-2008, 12:11 AM
actually one of my uncles friends who grows medicinal stuff says he either pinches or cuts the tolp of the bud off (dont remember which one he said exactly). which makes them rock hard...

kushy420
01-16-2008, 01:59 AM
ahh thanks for that, now i know, and ya knew for sure about the being compressed by a dealer, cept for when i get through a dealer that grabs straight from a grower love when im able to grab that :jointsmile:

stinkyattic
01-16-2008, 03:52 AM
actually one of my uncles friends who grows medicinal stuff says he either pinches or cuts the tolp of the bud off (dont remember which one he said exactly). which makes them rock hard...
That's not how it works. In fact, pinching off the top cola in early flower actually hurts yield- it's called 'topping' and redirects the plant's energy to lower nodes, but there's a tradeoff in lost yield from the prime cola, and the stress on the plant can cause hermaphrodites as well as slowing bud production.
There are all sorts of myths surrounding grow techniques...

smokenss
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
That's not how it works. In fact, pinching off the top cola in early flower actually hurts yield- it's called 'topping' and redirects the plant's energy to lower nodes, but there's a tradeoff in lost yield from the prime cola, and the stress on the plant can cause hermaphrodites as well as slowing bud production.
There are all sorts of myths surrounding grow techniques...

wow that sounds like a cool experiment .grow 2 plants in the same conditions cloned off the same mum, top 1 at say start of week 3 of flower and dont top the other,c wat dif in total yield :jointsmile:

:smokin:ss