PDA

View Full Version : Can fans blow too hard?

HateHeaven
12-21-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm using a 12'' fan at the moment, and I was wondering when its possible for the wind to be too strong? The fan isn't pointed directly at the plants, but when it hits the wall it moves the air around the plants and makes them shake slightly.

deaner
12-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I was told you want them shakin a bit to help built them strong to hold the heavy buds that you want hanging from them. Plants grow short and strong when they are in the wind alot, at least thats what I've noticed hiking around here.

cloud3648
12-27-2007, 02:33 AM
yea thats what i heard too

HateHeaven
12-28-2007, 02:47 AM
I know its good for them to shake slightly, but I was wondering if its possible for them to shake too much and if it could ruin a plant.

Jouryokujin
12-28-2007, 02:54 AM
I was having a problem where my fan was drying out my plants. The bottom leaves (the only leaves my fan was still blowing on as the plant got pretty tall) would turn yellow, dry up, and die. I checked my temps (day and night), my pH (and runoff), made sure I wasn't overdoing the ferts, and I was going crazy because nothing I did made a difference. One day I moved the fan to get in the back of the room and forgot to put it back...the problem immediately stopped.

HateHeaven
12-28-2007, 02:58 AM
wow, that actually sounds like what could be happening to me, ill move the fan and see if it makes any difference

ilovetv247
01-29-2008, 01:34 PM
My suggestion would be to not have the fan blow on the plants. Instead of pointing the fan towards the plants, point it away. If will still create the airflow you want, but you won't be stressing your plants as much. Just my 2 cents. :)