PDA

View Full Version : Passage of medical mmj laws result in long term reductions in teen pot use

Markass
12-15-2007, 06:00 PM
In your face John Walters...now we wait to see what they're going to say now..

Passage Of Medical Marijuana Laws, ??Deprioritization?? Measures, Coincides With ??Significant, Long-Term Reductions? In Teen Pot Use

December 13, 2007 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: Self-reported rates of adolescent marijuana use are declining at the same time that numerous states and municipalities are removing criminal penalties on the use of pot by patients and minor offenders, NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre said today in response to a White House report touting a 25 percent reduction in teen cannabis use from 2001 to 2007.

"The sharp decline in adolescent marijuana use cited by the White House actually began in 1997 ?? one year after voters in California enacted legislation approving the legal use of cannabis by authorized patients ?? and this downward trend has continued since that time," St. Pierre said. "During this same period, twelve states ?? that??s more than one-fifth of the US population ?? have enacted laws allowing for the authorized possession and cultivation of medical marijuana. In addition, numerous large municipalities ?? such as Denver, Colorado and Seattle, Washington ?? have enacted laws making the investigation and prosecution of minor marijuana offenders the cities?? ??lowest law enforcement priority.??

"In every case, these measures were opposed by law enforcement and the Drug Czar??s office on the premise that they would greatly increase teen marijuana use. However, as this week??s White House briefing shows, these legal changes have coincided with a ??significant, long-term reduction?? in adolescent pot use."

St. Pierre concluded: "It is evident that the Drug Czar??s fears were unfounded then and they are unfounded now. The continued opposition by the White House and law enforcement personnel to the enactment of these compassionate and common sense legal reforms has nothing to do with protecting public safety or addressing teen drug use. These groups?? zealous opposition to marijuana law reform is more closely tied to their addiction to bloated budgets and maintaining control over the general public through the coercive tactics associated with criminal prohibition."

Storm Crow
12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Cannabis prohibition keeps teen use UP! :eek:

Legalized medical use LOWERS teen use!!!... :dance:

OH MY GOODNESS! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! The world is turning upside down!:upsidedow What's next??? LEGALIZED recreational use? :D - Granny:hippy: (giggling)

WhiteWindica
12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Why do they believe that the removal of criminal penalties and the decrease of teen usage of marijuana has any connection? Are the dealers reducing their selling of marijuana because of law changes, decrease in demand or what?

Markass
12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Why do they believe that the removal of criminal penalties and the decrease of teen usage of marijuana has any connection? Are the dealers reducing their selling of marijuana because of law changes, decrease in demand or what?

No, and not only do they believe, it's true, if you actually read more than the title of this, you would know that.

I think it's seen as more pointing out the fact that they said changing the laws would result in catastrophic increase of marijuana use, however it had the opposite of that..How? I can't tell you, but dealers certainly aren't selling less, I would imagine that the change in laws takes the 'fun' out of it? I don't know buddy, but teen use has declined over the past years despite decriminalization and legalized medical use...and every politician and drug warrior claiming that teen use would skyrocket if such legislation is passed