PDA

View Full Version : kangaroo Island is burning

Kenn
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
South Australia's most famous island is burning out of control ,it now has been burning for 4 days.A state of emergency has been called and the Australian army is going in to help.More than 20,000 hectares have already been burnt and now endangers tourist resorts and residents.Fire fighters from Sydney Tasmania and Victoria are also heading to the Island today.This is a huge fire experts are predicting the fire to be still burning at the end of the week,lets hope our fire fighters get in under control and all make it home safe.

MadSativa
12-10-2007, 03:20 AM
thats sad kenn hope it gets better.........the picture is still very beautifull though, even if it is on fire.

happiestmferoutthere
12-10-2007, 04:04 AM
OMG!! Kenn.... :eek:Thats terrible! I, of course, remember Kangaroo Island from your tour. One of my favorite stops.
Wow. I'm sorry. Do they know how it started?

Kenn
12-10-2007, 04:36 AM
OMG!! Kenn.... :eek:Thats terrible! I, of course, remember Kangaroo Island from your tour. One of my favorite stops.
Wow. I'm sorry. Do they know how it started?
lightning strikes happi .nature started it .

happiestmferoutthere
12-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Awww.. Thats too bad! At least it's not arson. No one to get mad at. Good luck to them. I hope they get it out soon.

RUTBpiping
12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
That sucks man. :(

I live on the eyre peninsula in Port Lincoln we had the black tuesday fires near here not long ago an acquaintance of mine died in them twas sad. :(

snowblind
12-10-2007, 06:41 AM
That is raelly bad dude, hope they manage to get it under control, if not the brit's will send out fireman sam, hes a firefighting legend

Kenn
12-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Day six and the fire still burns on K.I. the army has been held off for now but fire crews from all over the country are heading to the Island ,grave fears about the forecast for Friday 38 degrees and strong winds Could make it near impossible to contain.

Kenn
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
K.I still burns ..fark ..lflinders chase national park is out of control and winds are pickin up heres some latest pics from K.I.yesterday.

sarah louise
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think I am up for another high alert fire season, we've come close to losing our little farm twice in the last four years.

I really hope the predicted storms bring more rain than lightning and wind to you guys. Best of luck tomorrow and over the the weekend.

Kenn
12-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Day 7 and still our beloved Island burns ..the smoke from K.I can be seen on the mainland Adelaide city is covered by a smokey haze.70,000 hectares and no sign of stopping.Evacuations have now started And weather conditions are set to make things worse.If this fire doesnt stop soon there will be no Kangaroos left on K>I, what would we call it then..black Island .Heres a satellite photo of the fire on Kangaroo Island.

Kenn
12-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Just got hold of the latest shot from K.I check this out ..man ..those fire fighters are brave men.

sarah louise
12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
The pictures are chilling Kenn :(

Bloody well hope the weather doesn't result in lightning strikes around here too soon...

I just got an email from the country fire authority (vic) calling up inactive members for refresher training before xmas. We have 34 cfa crews over in SA atm and the service is really stretched to cover rural vic.

I've put my name in for office duties, I'm not fit to work on a rake hoe or a hose anymore.

i can't imagine K.I. without these guys... :(

Kenn
12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
day 10 and the efforts of our volunteer fire fighters and some rain the fires on K.I are under conrol at last. well done to them and Ki is safe .....phew!!

TheDefiler
12-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Wonder what it would have been like had it continued to burn.

sarah louise
12-15-2007, 01:27 PM
That's really good news Kenn, I was wondering whether you got any rain (we've only had enough to pump up the humidity).

Wonder what it would have been like had it continued to burn.

Pretty obvious really, without rain a bush fire burns until it runs out of fuel. Simple.

TheDefiler
12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I think it would be pretty sweet to see an island go up in flames. Not an island that is inhabited or a major tourist attraction or anything like that but an uninhabited island. It would be quite a sight to see.