PDA

View Full Version : Water Restrictions

sarah louise
11-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm so sorry miss mary jane, but I am only allowed to turn a tap on outside on a tuesday or a saturday, between 7 and 8 pm. If you're thirsty in between times you'll just have to wait... :wtf:

Fat chance. The lawns can die, the shrubs can die, heck some of the trees can die (so long as they aren't the ones screening the back garden from prying eyes), but my dope plants need water.

Towns watering off this end of the Murray are at Stage 4 with a residential garden exemption of 2 hours per week.

http://www.vicwater.org.au/uploads/Water%20Restrictions/Stage%204.pdf

Interested to know what sort of water restrictions are people growing with this year?

Kenn
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
In Sa we got stg 3 restrictions only allowed to water by bucket or drippers for 3hrs on sunday between 6-9.. it really pisses me that because of lack of planning and care by our government..we suffer ..fuck it I will fill my kids pool ,why should they miss out all summer because of apathy by the federal and state government. they should pay for a rain water tank for every house to relieve the murray not tellin us...:mad: DONT WATER YOUR GARDEN!

sarah louise
11-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Last summer we remained at the ridiculous requirements of stage bloody one. You could water lawn at any time of the day, just so long as you had the hose in your hand and you could fill a 2,000 litre spa, but kids were allowed NO water toys. No slip and slide, no running under a sprinkler and no water pistols or water bombs.

Fukin stupid. The crabby old bastard two doors up would stand out the front and pour water on the grass in the middle of the afternoon, while abusing the kids across the street for 'breaking the law' by throwing ice cream containers of water at each other.

Strangely enough, immediately following the council elections we went to Stage 4 with no exemptions. Many locals surmise that the restrictions had little to do with the water level in the Hume Weir and lots to do with not upsetting rate payers before they went to the ballot.

We do lose an enormous amount of water to evaporation out of the Murray thanks to idiotic structures like Lake Moccoan and open irrigation channels. Yet Mr Brumby is only interested in improving the infrastructure in the MIA (Murray Irrigation Area) if he gets an iron clad guarrentee that he can pump the water out of the MIA and into Melbourne's storage system for the next 10 years (regardless of whether the improvements result in a net water saving or not).

Probably one of the reasons the Greens vote rose here twice as much as the national average. Country people say fuk that when politicians try to divert resources away from country areas :S4:

RUTBpiping
11-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Water Restrictions are crap the politicians dont want to spend the money to secure our water and expect us to pay more for it.Here is the thing we have enough water we have not invested in the sufficient infrastructure to do it.

I mean where is the desal plants,more dams etc etc.

Kenn
11-30-2007, 02:21 AM
South Australia has been promised a desal plant ...ahh but theres a catch...they have to decide on a site for the thing that everyone can agree on..And as we all know politicians never agree on anything so it could be 10 years before we see any desal in S.A...by then the Murray will be lost forever .Maybe its already to late for S.A only monsoon rains can save her now and with the drought thats not likely.Even if we had all the money we could need to throw at the problem I dont think we could save the Murray..does anyone know how to save a dying river???.

dakine
11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
i try to avoid using tap water and have seen better results with bottled water
but thats just me
good luck !

sarah louise
12-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Maybe in an indoor setup, in my situation, I have a feeling it would be cheaper to buy dope than to try and grow it outside with bottled water.

dakine
12-01-2007, 10:31 AM
that sounds ((((BIG))))

sarah louise
12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
pretty deadly eh, cuz.

dakine
12-02-2007, 10:22 AM
may i ask what you are using for food ?

sarah louise
12-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a feeling it would be cheaper to buy dope than to try and grow it outside with bottled water.

ok an exaggeration, but I'd be looking at buying 150 litres of water a week and seeing as my only problem is access to water, not water quality, bottled water wouldn't be of advantage.

food?

Mainly compost ~

I keep chooks and pidgeons for natural manure sources (and eggs for the table) which I blend with various green waste from house and garden (with extras from a couple of neighbours), spent mushroom compost, shredded newspaper, twig and bark charcoal, small amount of blood and bone meal, dolomite, rock phosphate, seaweed extract, molasses and few chopped up carp. Giving the chooks access to the heap speeds up the process and produces a compost that would make Peter Cundell cry.

Other than preparing a bed with the compost, every second watering has seaweed extract and a little fish emulsion if the plant looks like it wants extra nitrogen and mulched with sugar cane waste, over a layer of clover hay, then top dress as necessary with lucerne pellets.

Coming into flowering I add a commercial liquid organic bloom mix to the watering schedule.

I'm going to trial one plant with a 1/2 teaspoon of molasses replacing half the seaweed extract in the watering schedule. If the results are good, it might be a way of reducing the risk of salting up the soil too much with the seaweed extract.

I don't know if it qualifies as complete nutrition, but the plants seem healthy enough.