PDA

View Full Version : New York: Veteran for Medical Marijuana Access

Breukelen advocaat
11-22-2007, 04:28 AM
The following, by a Veteran for Medical Marijuana Access, is from: New York Governor | Smokedot (http://smokedot.org/blog/07/11/21/new-york-governor)

Wed, 11/21/2007

Governor Spitzer has been reaching National News lately. This is all due to the new law in New York he has been trying to get passed to proposal to grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. This although has been dropped has been a very sensitive subject for me. I have written many letters and forwarded many article's to Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno on this subject and he has responded in kind to me on all of the issues I am having with Governor Spitzers first term in office, from this drivers license to medical marijuana and even the treatment of Veterans here in NY.

Last Month I was invited to the State Capitol to discuss my views as a Veteran for Medical Marijuana Access. As a Korean War Veteran Sen. Bruno was very interested in my story and very sympathetic to my situation. These two politicians have been at each others throat for the past year since Governor Spitzer took his place in office. Watching the news and the views on the issues here in NY it looks like if this Senator (R) will fight anything that is proposed by this Governor (D).

Except this one issue they both agree on, and with the power in this state they both have I am in hopes that they could actually agree to push the issue.

Two years ago Sen. Bruno was one of the few leaders in NY that was pushing for humane treatment of marijuana use for serious ill patients. Gov. Spitzer coming from being on of the top prosecutors in the state was running for office completely against the medical marijuana use. This past summer the NY State Legislature voted and passed this bill. This has not been passed by the Senate yet. The bill has been changed for the Senate that would actually render the bill unworkable. The bill that has been passed by the legislature would be the most strict out of all the states that have legalized the use of marijuana for medical use.

So by now you are wondering why this is brought up with the issue of driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Well, my feeling is this. This bill that the Gov. was trying to push though without allowing a vote to me and many other New Yorkers shows that the Gov. has no compasion to the many members of the legal New York residents. But on the other hand the way Spitzer has totally reversed his view on Medical Marijuana has shown that he does have some compassion. Why can't Spitzer and Bruno work together as the 2 most powerful elected officials in New York? These two powerful officials are letting serious ill patients suffer because of past arguments and disagreements. These two officials will work their hardest to make the other look bad to the media with out taking into consideration that the NY voters that have put them in office are asking for Help!!! While we suffer with medication that doesn't work fully or gives us side effects these two elected officials put this bill on hold because they are to busy making the other look bad.

I have news for Sen. Bruno and Gov. Spitzer, We put you in those offices that you hold, We thought you were the best for the job, We thought you had our best interests in mind and would make sure that what the majority of New Yorkers wanted would be granted. I have talked to both of your offices and you are both of the same view when it comes to Medical Marijuana along with 70% of the New York registered voters according to the latest polls. Why can't you both team up together to get a bill that is acceptable for all involved so we can stop the suffering of those that are taking chances with arrest?