PDA

View Full Version : a quick question

Cannabis-Sativa
11-18-2007, 09:29 PM
ok I'm just wondering if it is safe to download software from a file sharing program such as Microsoft word, it is a zip file, and my AVG didn't detect viruses, but i mean is it safe as in getting caught by the government?

i wasn't sure where to put this i hope its ok here thank you

killerweed420
11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Big Brother is every where. I bet he's hiding under your bed right now.:wtf:
I would immediately flush all contraband down the toilet. I see the feds walking up your sidewalk right now.:jointsmile:

Gundari
11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Ive downloaded Maya (graphics program) microsoft word, windows vista, mac office, and a number of other things. Sure the chance of getting caught its there but its astronomically low.

I do suggest using bit torrent rather then something like bearshare though.

Im fairly sure we're not supposed to be talking about this sort of thing though. You know the whole Civil disobidience vs breaking the law sticky...

affasd
11-18-2007, 11:01 PM
ya ive downloaded multiple high end programs that are worth like thousands of dollars and im clear so far. i would say its pretty safe

4drian
11-20-2007, 07:41 PM
also you can try open office from sun microsystems free to download and you can save your documents with a Microsoft Word extension compatible

snowblind
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
ive downloaded office 2007 and it was fine

if your really worried doa quick search for word freeware. theres loads of word processing programs that are free.

but if your worried. turn off your automatic updates as it stops microsoft scanning your computer.

peace

imitator
11-21-2007, 05:02 AM
ive downloaded office 2007 and it was fine

if your really worried doa quick search for word freeware. theres loads of word processing programs that are free.

but if your worried. turn off your automatic updates as it stops microsoft scanning your computer.

peace

It also prevents your computer from getting updated to prevent security holes from being exploited.

You have nothing to worry about. MS isnt going to find out downloaded MS Office. The only actual threat would be coming from the software version of the RIAA coming after you, and even that is slim to none. MS doesnt actively scan for software on your computer, otherwise Id imagine Id have gotten a few letters or knocks at the door long before now.

Be careful though, like others said, whatever it is you are planning on doing, dont do it through p2p software. Bittorrent or mIRC are very good viable options for that instead, and provide less of a risk if you take the proper measures.

Not that I have any clue what you are talking about at all, it was puppies right? Puppies zipped up in jackets with words written on them? :p

imitator
11-21-2007, 05:03 AM
also you can try open office from sun microsystems free to download and you can save your documents with a Microsoft Word extension compatible

Open Office is a very good very viable alternative if you dont want to do anything shady. I actually prefer using OpenOffice more then I do Office 2007.

/grumbles about MS feeling it neccessary to completely change the UI and where everything is located with Office 07

Cannabis-Sativa
11-24-2007, 02:59 AM
ok thanks a lot, i got it and finished my paper on time :D

MasterKief
12-11-2007, 02:58 AM
The only source I trust is the private BitTorrent community I am a member of. The doors are completely closed to the public, and from there I've gotten about $20,000 dollars worth of music and high-end commercial-grade software. ;)

You can go to public places like The Pirate Bay but you run the risk of getting caught.