PDA

View Full Version : FLOWERING = CO2 amounts????

kuri
02-04-2005, 02:41 AM
i just have a very basic question. when i put the plant into the flowering cycle, does it need more CO2 during the 12hour 'lights on' than if it was in the vegetative state? thanks for any responses. take care

IthoughtIknewitall
02-05-2005, 04:20 AM
definetly.. CO2 speeds up photosynthesis like oxygen to fire.

Sensi Super Skunk
02-05-2005, 04:43 AM
There have been complaints however, that C02 supplementation during flowering reduces potency. Therefore, C02 should be stopped when the lights are turned to 12/12.
http://greenmanspage.com/guides/indoorv1.html

IthoughtIknewitall
02-06-2005, 02:23 AM
I dont believe for a second that it decreases potency. It increases yield for sure.

kuri
02-06-2005, 02:29 AM
LOL okay, i like this, i ask a question and get answers from both sides. so now what? anyone else have opinions on CO2 during flowering? or anyone have any sites on this topic? keep it coming as the more opinions, then the more easier for me and others to make an educated opinion. thank you

Sensi Super Skunk
02-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Go with who sounds more legit. Go with your gut.

heartsurgerysurviver
02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
CO2 use should be when the lights are on, that is when the plants use it. I heard that co2 should only be used during the growth stage. I am currently useing it in flowering and it definately has increased the size and growth rate of buds. i won't know about potency effect untill i test this batch.
i keep the co2 at 1500 ppm.
the grow room must be air tight or you're just wasting the co2
also a small fan on the floor pointed upwards keeps the heaver co2 dispersed well.
peace
heart

Nosehit
02-19-2005, 08:46 AM
definetly.. CO2 speeds up photosynthesis like oxygen to fire.
It may speed up photosynthesis, but SSS is right there is evidence to suggest a decrease in potency.
However, HSS is also right it will definitely increase yield. And since potency has always seemed somewhat subjective to me, I think if you have the equipment why not.

kuri
02-19-2005, 09:08 AM
thanks for the input. since i use vinegar/baking soda and candle burning in coffee can as co2 devices, i think i'll be fine. sounds like a common ground place. but thank you for your inputs on both sides. that is what i like to hear. take care

newgroweroldsmoker
02-19-2005, 09:26 AM
i guess that with vinegar/baking soda you can't really control the levels of co2 in the rom, right? is it going to be a problem if you (not you kuri, generally speaking) give them too much co2?
i am thinking to go in the market and buy a few gallons of vinegar and baking soda enough to bake a few thousands of bread......what is the exact percentage for the mixture? vinegar/baking soda....?????????i tried it once and noticed that the co2 release does not last long....how often should i use it?will the plants double in size?what are going to be the results now that i am about to finish week one into flowering?

Nosehit
02-21-2005, 07:03 AM
You can also use the CO2 cartridges made for BB guns. They can make it a little easier to control the flowrate :D .

kuri
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
newgroweroldsmoker, what i have done, since the baking soda vinegar thing doesn't last long in releasing co2, then i only use a little at a time. usually a heaping teaspoon and enough vingar to get all of the soda. i tend to put it next to the plant where the airflow will go to it and i do it whenever i think of it since you cannot overdo the co2 with this method. sometimes i'll put a scented candle in a coffee can and burn it also as that releases co2.

however, i've just learned a couple things. you are past the first week in flowering. if you give them co2 in flowering, it will help the plant grow faster of course and the buds will form faster, however, there are some thoughts that a good amount of co2 during flowering can lower your potency. so i play the middle ground and give them plant co2 sparingly but not as much as i do in veg. state. hope this little cheap idea helps you in your growing. take care

newgroweroldsmoker
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
thanx kuri.....i will apply the burning candle method starting from tonight....so far i was paying them around two-three half hour visits every night and i was talking to them...breathing onto their leaves, checking them out giving them co2....today i finish week number one....from tonight i go into my second week...still though the only smell i notice is 'green' smell....not anything in particular.....should i start buying candles?

kuri
02-21-2005, 10:00 AM
newgroweroldsmoker... i know you know, but let me just say it to get it out of the way. watch out with the candle burning. make sure it is safe and all that yada yada.. okay, got that out of the way. you said 'starting from tonight' you were starting the candle method...two things come to mind... one, burning at night? while you are getting ready for bed? and two... co2 does nothing at night with the plants. so if it is dark and you are adding co2 or breath on them, it does nothing. all co2 should be implemented during light hours for the plant.

although i love to hear that you are talking to them, breathing on their leaves...did you know that they breath the co2 from the BOTTOM of the leave? so breath upward under the leaves.

as for the smell, i have the green smell as well at week 3 of flowring ,but the bud smell is starting to come in, not bad yet. i have two ionizers from sharper image that emits O3 (ozone) and an ona block that i open up when the smell is thick, but not for long as the ona is strong... i don't have the setup where i can use carbon filters and all that, one day.

as for buying candles, that is your call. i like to use tea light candles both scented and not since i can get a huge bag of those for cheap. or bigger candles that are in glass so they burn better. if i'm up, i'll light a scented candle at night just to cover the smell. plus it just gives it that 'cosmic' feel to the room while you talk to you plant!!

is this your first grow? it is for me, but i'm studying ALL the time. enjoy!!

newgroweroldsmoker
02-23-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah, this is my first successful (so far) as well.....i read what you write above....yes i know they breathe from beneath the leaves....i lie down looking upwards and breath on them....as for the candles, i use the tea candles as well....place them into large metallic coffee containers to be safe and i put them right underneath the plants, within safe distance so as not to burn any leafs (the buckets are big so as there is no problem)....i have 5 computer fans that work 24/7 blowing on the plants, distributing the air that comes in....the thing is that i forgot to tell you this...it is not good to burn the candle during the dark cycle not because the plants do not use CO2 during the dark cycle but because they consume O2 while the lights are out.....this is part of their metabolic activities....for the lumen thing i am not sure....there is a way to have the candle burning in the room during the dark cycle without causing light poisoning, it's just not useful to do so.....bottom line, only during lights on is CO2 useful.....as for the smell, it is not a problem right now, I am in day 9 of flowering and I believe that I have a good setup....plus I live in the country in a place with no big traffic and lots of pedestrians, so even if it escapes I do not think it will be such a problem (I hope not)....my budget is somehow very limited right now & I can't afford any more expenses at the moment....anyway the candles do just fine at the moment.......you say that you study all the time? I think I will be a professor in home cannabis growing when I reach the level of Harvesting my ladies....LOL :)

take care man & thanx :)

newgroweroldsmoker
02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
PS....a few months ago i planted 10 feminised power plant and 4 regular B-52 seeds....i grew them in veg for 4 weeks and then threw them away as i did not want my visitors to find out.....what a waste uh?

Nosehit
02-24-2005, 09:06 AM
although i love to hear that you are talking to them, breathing on their leaves...did you know that they breath the co2 from the BOTTOM of the leave? so breath upward under the leaves.

LOL, I always talk to my plants, besides the CO2 it just makes them happy :D :D :D A happy plant is a productive plant :D

newgroweroldsmoker
02-24-2005, 10:07 AM
LOL, I always talk to my plants, besides the CO2 it just makes them happy A happy plant is a productive plant

you should see the pics i posted in the picture section of this forum and tell me plz if my plants look happy.....i even try to educate (lol) them with classical music.....i hope they will be as productive as happy they look......another last thing is that it is not easy to lie down all the time (the floor is cold) and breath right upwards.....they have gotten very big and some leaves get the CO2 i emit every time i breath out....

TopEkoms420
03-02-2005, 06:12 AM
actually rock music makes plants grow faster. Also a great way to get some CO2 is to use dry ice in some water. And you can see all the CO2.

Good luck

dampille
01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
i use bottled co2 with a regulator, and a controller set to 1500 ppms of constant co2 wile lights are on. the regular air we breathe has about 300 ppms co2.. remember, co2+light=photosynthesis. ahhh remember that word? your plant is already using co2.. to add to its growth and yield, co2 will almost double yield. and as for the potency issue, there talking on a lvl of 2 to 4 percent less potent, do to over efficiency in plant growth. so it factors like this... lets say 5 percent less potent.. the site says 2-4 so well round up, so if your an amazing grower with some of ed rosenthals personal og, at 32 percent thc,(average cannabis done right indoors is 16-22 percent thc) your gonna get 30.5 instead of 32 percent? 1.5 percent less thc? i challenge anyone to try and pick the 30.4 percent out of a lineup of 4 buds.. and think of it this way, if you have double the bud... just hit that bowl twice, lol! also, the tests were done to determine the less potency from co2 by organic gardeners, whos nutrients could not support the rapid growth. anyone using good nutes and a finisher, will NOT have these probs, also, co2 works best in a room over 82 degrees, below 86.. co2 often finishes plants faster, sometimes by as much as 2 weeks early. the overall benefit of running co2 destroys any argument not to. the potency as shown above is such a non issue, and the reward is beyond what you can imagine. i have grown tahoe og and bluberry kush both before and after running co2. same mother, same cycle, same nutes. i get twice as much in 1.5 less weeks. and it seems more potent now than pre co2. definitely do more homework than asking these guys on here there opinion. as no one that replied even uses bottled co2 with a controller. so how the hell would they even know? and also, the candle isnt co2, its carbon monoxide, natural gas emits co2 when burned. a good rule of thumb is, if the flame is blue, its co2, if its yellow/red, its carbon monoxide. the candle is literally doing nothing for your plants.. gl bud. my advice is to use co2. ive been growin for 7 years. 3 now with co2. i view it as essential.

ciao,
damp

dampille
01-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Indoor Cannabis Cultivation Guide Version 1.2 (http://greenmanspage.com/guides/indoorv1.html)

BULLSHIT! thats one of the most un educated things ive ever heard.

people who use co2 crank it to 1500 ppms during flower. this guy knows nothing about co2.

i wonder how many people have deen led astray from people like this who do not know the answer but answer anyways?

scary.

-damp

drudown11
01-07-2012, 06:18 PM
BULLSHIT! thats one of the most un educated things ive ever heard.

people who use co2 crank it to 1500 ppms during flower. this guy knows nothing about co2.

i wonder how many people have deen led astray from people like this who do not know the answer but answer anyways?

scary.

-damp

During flower i supplement my c02 by using a tank and a regulator. I aim for 1500 ppm, but ive also heard growers report postive benefits from using as low as 600 ppm. I would say that c02 is more beneficial in flowering because that's when you really wanna boost growth.....that's where your yield and quality come from.

Marijuana thrived on this earth when c02 levels in the atmosphere were normal. If you imitate that ideal environment that cannabis craves, you'll notice tremendous growth.

KoonDawg
04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Doubled yields; CHECK, Decreased potency ??? BUNK / Urban Legend

I assume this report was generated by someone against the COST of C02 tanks/generators. As the author states below, if true, the minimal percentage would be unnoticeable to the consumer, and only detected by a laboratory.

Many growers destroy their harvest (and potency) by improper curing and harvesting too early or too late. Blaming C02 for any quality failure is ridiculous.

i use bottled co2 with a regulator, and a controller set to 1500 ppms of constant co2 wile lights are on. the regular air we breathe has about 300 ppms co2.. remember, co2+light=photosynthesis. ahhh remember that word? your plant is already using co2.. to add to its growth and yield, co2 will almost double yield. and as for the potency issue, there talking on a lvl of 2 to 4 percent less potent, do to over efficiency in plant growth. so it factors like this... lets say 5 percent less potent.. the site says 2-4 so well round up, so if your an amazing grower with some of ed rosenthals personal og, at 32 percent thc,(average cannabis done right indoors is 16-22 percent thc) your gonna get 30.5 instead of 32 percent? 1.5 percent less thc? i challenge anyone to try and pick the 30.4 percent out of a lineup of 4 buds.. and think of it this way, if you have double the bud... just hit that bowl twice, lol! also, the tests were done to determine the less potency from co2 by organic gardeners, whos nutrients could not support the rapid growth. anyone using good nutes and a finisher, will NOT have these probs, also, co2 works best in a room over 82 degrees, below 86.. co2 often finishes plants faster, sometimes by as much as 2 weeks early. the overall benefit of running co2 destroys any argument not to. the potency as shown above is such a non issue, and the reward is beyond what you can imagine. i have grown tahoe og and bluberry kush both before and after running co2. same mother, same cycle, same nutes. i get twice as much in 1.5 less weeks. and it seems more potent now than pre co2. definitely do more homework than asking these guys on here there opinion. as no one that replied even uses bottled co2 with a controller. so how the hell would they even know? and also, the candle isnt co2, its carbon monoxide, natural gas emits co2 when burned. a good rule of thumb is, if the flame is blue, its co2, if its yellow/red, its carbon monoxide. the candle is literally doing nothing for your plants.. gl bud. my advice is to use co2. ive been growin for 7 years. 3 now with co2. i view it as essential.

ciao,
damp

louise2308
10-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Thru all of my travels on educating myself on growing I found this tidbit I need to add to this thread....my grow room is a spare room/lg closet and a night when lights go out I close the door....from what I read , if you wait to open the door 30 mins after lights come on.....the plant makes use of the CO2 gathered in the room from the night before...easy and free way of increasing levels...of CO2!!

LOC NAR on probation
10-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Thru all of my travels on educating myself on growing I found this tidbit I need to add to this thread....my grow room is a spare room/lg closet and a night when lights go out I close the door....from what I read , if you wait to open the door 30 mins after lights come on.....the plant makes use of the CO2 gathered in the room from the night before...easy and free way of increasing levels...of CO2!!

When you close the door at night it only takes about 2 hours for the plants to use up the oxy and the co2 in your closet. That's why we have fresh air coming in all the time for co2 or add it. Plants need both unless conditions are right.

For plants to use more co2 than is in the atmosphere. Your room needs to be kept at 95 degrees flooded to 1500 ppm's for 4 hours flush with fresh air and flood again. Only during light hours as during the dark it's a waste. only fresh air during dark.

So never just seal a room.

OH, and all that co2 gets you one week off harvest time. Nothing else. no more or less potent or yeild.

StickyFingas
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi, i was wondering does it make a huge difference if i only turn off my extraction fans and leave the intake fans on together with circulation fans. I figure the CO2 will be better dispatched around the room. I plan on setting the CO2 on a timer for 10 minutes every hour when the lights are on and at the same time the extraction fans will be off. So the room will have CO2 for a total of 1 hour every 12hours @1500ppm. Is this a good idea or not. All comments welcome please.

ciao,
damp

XXXJAYXXX
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Co2 DEFINATELY increases yield.. what most people fail to realize is that your plants can also take up WAY more nutrients in a High Co2 environment. Your potency will decrease if you use Co2 with the same feeding schedule because your plants dont have the nutrients they need in order to produce more resin! I recommend a "Ramp up" method that steadily increases the amount of food week over week.. while matching the Co2 ppm level with the ppm level in your food. I start with 4 ml/gal of grow, 8ml/gal of micro, and 6 ml/gal of bloom in the first week of flower.. Then week over week I increase the feed by 1 grow, 2 micro, and 3 bloom.. so by week seven I am feeding 10 ml/gal grow, 20 ml/gal micro, and 30 ml/gal of bloom. You MUST also use a B-1 vitamin like "B52" or "Vitamax" as these boost your plants metabolism and will help them handle that much food! If you dont use B-1.. your plants will likely BURN! By week 7 my ppm is around 2200... and I set my Co2 to the same value... Also.. my weeks are only 6 days! feed-feed-water-feed-feed-water is one week... So by the end of week 7.. there are actually 14 days left in the 8 week plant cycle.. during this time.. I turn off the Co2 and flush with solution like Final Phase or what have you... You NEED this much time to flush.. or your plants will taste poopy... haha... Ramping up the feed like this will keep the potency VERY high.. even with use of Co2 :-)