PDA

View Full Version : Alan Watts - You're Going to Believe This

DJ.VENGE.Kaspa2otree
11-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Passasge on the Divided Mind:

As the Philospher tries to stand outside himself and his thoughts, so, as we have seen, the oridinary man tries to stand outside himself and his emotions and sensations, his feelings and desires. The result is a fantastic confusion and misdirection of conduct which discovery of the mind's unity must bring to an end.

By Alan Watts

anyone got any other great (philosphical) quotes?

spongebobsmokepants
11-06-2007, 06:14 AM
There once was a man from nantuckett............ no wait, thats a diferent forum.:jointsmile:

greenlotus
12-31-2007, 10:47 PM
??If a thing loves, it is infinite.? William Blake

smokerofweed420
01-02-2008, 04:06 AM
"He who looks outside dreams, he who looks inside awakes." --- Carl Gustav Jung

All about discovery baby.

thecreator
01-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Alan Watts ah I love him so much I really want to buy his lectures that would make my day..I think I'm going buy it and uploaded a few of them if anyone is interested.

Alexico
02-27-2008, 05:05 AM
"is everything in the mind? is this forum a figment of the imagination? then this forum wouldnt exist and all the suroundings are just in the mind of a concious engery being, this qoute doesnt even matter, its all in my mind and only i will read it and nothing else matters" Alexico

DJ.VENGE.Kaspa2otree
02-27-2008, 07:58 AM
"is everything in the mind? is this forum a figment of the imagination? then this forum wouldnt exist and all the suroundings are just in the mind of a concious engery being, this qoute doesnt even matter, its all in my mind and only i will read it and nothing else matters" Alexico

hmmm... my arguement to this is this.

If everything is in the mind and the imagination is in the mind, your conciousness would have no matter in the subject of whether this forum exists.

Or better yet, the I in You would lead to the seperation of Conciousness and Imagination therefore making Everything exponentially prudent. (increasingly more important).

then again. you could have wrote this. :wtf:

Acouwaila
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
This and that and this and that and that and this, and this and that, and this and that and that and this.

Not why, not where, not who, definately not when, BUT

here, and now, and every where

eggrole1
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
-Buddha

I just used this quote in my latest work: good vibrations by ~eggrole on deviantART (http://eggrole.deviantart.com/art/good-vibrations-82281265)

grumio
05-15-2008, 04:14 AM
I don't know if this quite qualifies, but I've always particularly liked this one:

Talking about Zen all the time is like looking for fish tracks in a dry river bed.

Can't remember who said that. Some ancient Chinese dude. Hui Neng maybe?

Gandalf_The_Grey
05-15-2008, 07:38 AM
"Only a loving God would create a system where all life has to survive by killing and consuming other life."

- Unknown.

SocialDem
06-14-2008, 06:57 PM
It is not those to inflict the most, but those who suffer the most that will conquer

Stoner Shadow Wolf
07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
"Into a soul completely devoid of thought and emotion, even the tiger cannot find room to insert its fierce claws."

~The beginning of a taoist poem found at the front of the Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

Be still like the moon in the reflection in the waves; ever rocking - paraphrased

~Bruce Lee