PDA

View Full Version : Shingles!

F L E S H
02-02-2005, 01:11 AM
God damn it all to hell... As if the hell of chemo and radiation wasn't enough, this weekend I get the shingles! Well, apparently folks who had cancer commonly get it, and it's not really a big deal, but I'll tell you this: it's fucking painful!

God bless weed :) nothing's better for the pain!

socks
02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Awwh hope you get better soon FLESH
*hugs* all round xxx

robert42
02-02-2005, 02:30 PM
hey i hope u get better man i grandad got shingles then got prostate cancer and died not so long ago :( he battled it for about 6 years.

Smoke that weed man and i wish u all the best.

get well soon.

F L E S H
02-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the support! I appreciate it :)

Sorry to hear about your graddad, rob, my own grandparents aren't doing so well, so I know exactly how you feel....

Well, at least the doctor gave me some codeine painkillers, so a bowl and 2 pills should make me feel just peachy :D

jacquelyne
02-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I dont know what shingles are or what they affect.Is that because your immunity is down that u got that ?
My mum had cancer last year and chemo and radiation and she did real well and didnt get too sick.I was just so sad for her that she went bald but her hair now is so beautiful like babies ringlets just like when she was a kid.My Dad also has cancer and is dying (bowel) he has had it for a few yrs but its inoperable because he never went to the doctor about the bleeding etc.
FLESH i genuinely hope u get better soon as with having cancer you have been through enough.Good luck mate

F L E S H
02-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks Jacquelyne! Shingles is a virus that everyone has in their bodies, provided they had chicken pox once. It's usually triggered when your immune system is weakened, or by a an emotional or physical shock. What happens is that you get intense pain in one side of your body, and soon afterwards a rash begins to appear over the same are whaere the pain is. The really ugly and gross part is that the rash eventually forms into a whole bunch of blisters on your skin, hence shingles :) It's really unpleasant, but the good part is that there are no bad things in the long term. After a few weeks, it's as if you never had it...

As far as the cancer is concerned, it's all over, as they caught it really early, and it's one of the most curable forms of cancer, with a survival rate of over 90%... Hodgkin's disease in case you're wondering, a form of lymphoma.

jacquelyne
02-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Ok well thats good to hear.I had a friend as a kid had shingles but didnt know what it was.Ive had chicken pox but shingles sounds bad.Thanks for explaining it for me.My mum had a form of lymphoma under her arm near her breast.It makes me so happy when a person beats cancer.The people who beat it are needed here to keep the rest of us going.I dont know what i would do if i lost her because really shes the only person in this world that trully helps me and looks after me even tho im an adult because i feel like i need it.My mum had cancer when i was in a mental institution and all she did was see me every day i love her so much and owe my life to her.

F L E S H
02-04-2005, 07:33 AM
That's really touching Jacquelyne... I wish you and your mother the best!

*hugs*
:D

Lulu
02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I feel for you Flesh - my hubbie had shingles a coupla years back and it was very unpleasant :( Hope you're better soon real soon :)

Jacq, the very best to you and your Mum :)

Lulu xx