PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre says no to $5m Yankee Contract

Burn_One_Down
10-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I was just watching ESPN when I see that Joe Torre was offered a 1 year $5 million dollar contract with $3 million if they make it to the World Series. After 12 years as manager, he said no to the contract. I wonder who will be replacing him.

Go Sox :D

yoda
10-20-2007, 03:18 AM
joe girardi, who won manager of the year with the marlins' scrub squad, is my guess. i believe he's a radio announcer for the team now? or something like that.

and kudos to torre for saying no. i would find it hugely humiliating that his job status was being publically pondered, and not in-house.

qdavid
10-20-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm sorry, but I think him saying he was insulted by $5 million/year 1 year contract is just bullshit. He would have still been the highest paid manager in baseball. And if they went to the playoffs next year he would have made even more than he did this year. But I agree about that public discussion thing. That was just shitty. But he didn't say that. Saying they insulted him? Bullshit. If he just wanted out of the Yankee organization, anybody could understand that. He's just setting up the scenario for a huge salary for his next job. Asshole. I've got no sympathy for those rich lying bastards.

beachguy in thongs
10-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I bet Stump Merrill replaces him. Seriously, though, I'd like to see Mattingly give it a try. Tony Pena isn't a bad option. I haven't heard anything after I heard that Torre turned down a lesser contract.

I read, in a baseball book, that the players (while Torre was playing) used to call him "Chicken Catcher" Torre.

qdavid
10-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I think Bobby Valentine is up for it too. I personally would like to see Lou get back to his old stomping grounds. But the Cubbys got him tied up to the tune of $3.5 mil./year. Who'd say no to that? Money talks, bullshit walks.

beachguy in thongs
10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Cashman said. "There may be some surprising names that show up of people expressing interest that you wouldn't even think about. To be quite candid, we have not started a process of looking for a new manager."

With the field wide open to contenders, bench coach Don Mattingly is believed to be a likely candidate. Through his spokesman, Ray Schulte, Mattingly said that he wished to decline comment Thursday "out of respect to Joe Torre," but that he would address his situation on Friday.

The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: New York Yankees News (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071018&content_id=2271536&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy)

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella is among those who will not be considered, stating Thursday that he has no interest in the vacancy. But others -- like dark horses Tony La Russa, Bobby Valentine and Trey Hillman -- may. The Yankees' 2007 coaching staff also had two experienced former Major League managers, Larry Bowa and Tony Pena, who could draw consideration.

yoda
10-24-2007, 04:33 AM
tony larussa re-signed with the cards for two more years.

torre was insulted because he changed the culture of the yankees organization back into their historic dominance. while not there anymore, who's to say he wouldnt do it again? all he's done for them, and george just wants to give him another one year trial? not worth the shit.

apparently mattingly is in the frontrunning for the job. courtesy of ESPN.com

PaRRoTT
11-26-2007, 07:25 AM
that deal was an insult the yankees knew he wouldnt take it so they wouldnt have to fire his ass, the yankees are so shitty to there players and staff and by yankees i mean the fans.