PDA

View Full Version : NFT system LOTS of ROOTS..what to do?

kuri
01-31-2005, 08:26 AM
hi, i have an NFT system and have a plant that is growing really well. the roots are NICE and white and look healthy....however, there are LOTS of roots to where it is making the water back up and fill up the gully to about 1/2 inch of water, i'm afraid this will saturate the roots too much. AND my baskets in my NFT system are hanging and are 1/2 inch above the bottom of the gully so this backup of water is not only saturating the roots, but also has potential to soak my rock wool..maybe. are you supposed to trim the roots? i dont' want to do that.... the gully is 2 feet long and i lifted one end to 1/2 inch (2% slope). i don't think i want to make my decline more than that do i?

if anyone has any suggestions or comments on what to do, or not to do, with these massive roots, i would love any remarks.

willow
01-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey, Willow here again. I had the same thing with my two successful crops and the roots were actually growing down the drain pipe. It forms a mat in the tray. I did raise the baskets to let the flow get through and I actually cut away some of the root, not too much, and then I took a long handled spoon and used the handle part to push the roots away from the drain and the water input. That worked for me but there maybe a better way. I was told that it is normal for that root mass. Maybe someone else will offer suggestions that we both can use.