PDA

View Full Version : my ISP is wank

st0n3r
10-01-2007, 06:59 PM
my internet seems to be running slow lately so i thought i would check it out do some speed tests etc.........didn't come out as i had hoped.

i'm with orange in the UK and i have a free livebox that they gave me and according to the stats on the livebox i'm supposedly getting 7513kbps down and 355kbps up. but i've done numerious speed tests and downloads and goes to show i can get anything higher than 400kbps which is appauling for what im paying tbh.

anybody else had this sort of similar problem with there internet service providers? any1 with orange atm? i'm very weary to call them up , as i have done before and they put me through to a call center in india i believe, and i found it very hard to have a conversation as we couldn't understand each other.

i'm thinking of switching providers, but if their is a easy solution to solving this then i would love to hear you're comments, thanks.

imitator
10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Where are you performing the speed test at? Or are you commenting on the speeds you see when downloading?

Also, the usual arguement you will hear if you speak to someone about this via phone is going to be that those are maximum stats, and that they dont promise those speeds as being constant, but as a maximum obtainable speed.

st0n3r
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
ermm well ive done a check in my area and the max speed i can get is 7mb from my exchange.

ive compared it 2 downloading different files from different websites, going to different sites to do speed tests, trying some speed test software on my computer and also trying some speed tests on my dad's wireless laptop (my pc is wired my ethernet) and it all seems to come out the same, on some tests my upload speed was faster than my download speed :S

imitator
10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Ok, next question, do you use a wireless router, and if so, is it secured with a WEP key? Does anyone know this WEP key, and can you check to see who all is listed on the routers DHCP table?

babystarbud
10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
thats orange for you mate, its called packet shaping /port throttling, basicly you have a decent connection but orange are putting up road blocks on certain types of internet traffic.

ditch them and go with BE UNLIMITED, if its available in your area.

st0n3r
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Ok, next question, do you use a wireless router, and if so, is it secured with a WEP key? Does anyone know this WEP key, and can you check to see who all is listed on the routers DHCP table?

yep i know my WEB key, ermm i dont believe anybody else can connect to it unless they got hold of it........which is on the underside of my box....and i can barely read that XD

thats orange for you mate, its called packet shaping /port throttling, basicly you have a decent connection but orange are putting up road blocks on certain types of internet traffic.

ditch them and go with BE UNLIMITED, if its available in your area.

tbh ive heard many ppl saying that orange is shite and useless.......i was either thinkin of changin over 2 BT, BE or virgin......only cuz virgin are bringin out 24mb broadband next year in my area XD hehehe.

tried to tell my dad the problem ''dad our internet is slow, we're downloadin 1/2mb instead of 8mb''

he's response : ''oh yeh ermmm well ermmm......thats very good of you son'' :hippy: crazy ass rasta......too much time infront of the idiot box.

babystarbud
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
BE* rock

My personal record is an 800meg divx movie in about 15mins:D
it was a public torrent, but a very well seeded one.

May not be as fast as cable, but theres less ping problems, and NO traffic shaping/service throttling if you download too much.

It really is the pimp of ISP's:pimp:

babystarbud
10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
just to ad, virgin looks great on the surface, but my friend who ditched them a few months back said the pings were so bad he kept getting kicked off online game servers.

not only that but if you dare to download any large files like movies on a regular basis, they will not hesitate in throttling your connection at peak times.......which kind of defeats the purpose of having a 20meg+ connection....

alot of people do rate virgin, but you shuld research others opinions on the net first to see if you are the kind of user that they discriminate aganst.