PDA

View Full Version : Pains in wrist/hand area

Markass
09-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Here recently I've been having problems with my hands...I think it has a lot to do with working...I'm a grill cook at a restaurant..My hands have been giving me sporadic pains from time to time when I'm working..And now I've began having stiffness in my fingers, and a pain in the palms of my hand or so...As some of you may know, I'm not big on going to the doctor unless I have absolutely no other choice..if anyone can offer any speculation it would be greatly appreciated..:thumbsup:

happiestmferoutthere
09-28-2007, 02:57 AM
I used to have really bad pains in my hands, from my work also( repetitive movements). From the symptoms I had I figured out it was tendonitis. Does the pain feel like it's where a tendon could be? Mine was mostly confined to my thumb and palm. It hurt like holy hell! I would drop things, and cry out once in a while it hurt so bad. I got a wrist brace meant for tendonitis, and it worked wonders.It put pressure on just the right spot. Then I quit my job, and now its gone completely.
My sister had carpel tunnel and had to have surgery, but that usually takes years to develop.

xcrispi
09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Carpal tunnel from spanking your monkey too much bro. :)
Juicy J has it too :D HeHeHe . Nah Marc , but 4 real - We just got braces for J to sleep w/ at night and it's seemed to help some . Comps. and cash register , cooks - repetive stuff like dude before me stated = frequent carpal tunnel for some reason too ?
Peace bro.
Xcrispi -n- Juicy J :jointsmile:

Markass
09-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I do have tendonitis in my right hand, and I restrict movement in that hand, hoping for it to get better..and it does, but then it seems like if I do just the wrong little thing it irritates it again...as for the pain in both hands, it is really isolated to the palm of my hand..underneath the thumb area..braces to help..that sounds interesting..

birdgirl73
09-29-2007, 04:40 AM
There are some good massage techniques that can help alleviate repetitive motion trouble in your hands and wrists. I used to have a touch of carpal tunnel inflammation when I was writing for a living and on the keyboard and mouse more than I am now. I got some of those wristbands at a medical supply store, but I really hated them because they were so hot and confining. A registered massage therapist showed me how to stretch out and massage my wrists and that really did help. I'll bet you could find out some of those sorts of things on the Web, and if you know a masseuse or a physical therapist, they might show you some good manipulative techniques.

Markass
09-29-2007, 04:23 PM
There are some good massage techniques that can help alleviate repetitive motion trouble in your hands and wrists. I used to have a touch of carpal tunnel inflammation when I was writing for a living and on the keyboard and mouse more than I am now. I got some of those wristbands at a medical supply store, but I really hated them because they were so hot and confining. A registered massage therapist showed me how to stretch out and massage my wrists and that really did help. I'll bet you could find out some of those sorts of things on the Web, and if you know a masseuse or a physical therapist, they might show you some good manipulative techniques.

thanks birdgirl, you always have something useful to contribute whenever I have a problem..especially when it comes to medical related advice..:stoned::thumbsup:

Chronisseur
09-29-2007, 05:35 PM
This is a very basic summary from webMD, may help, may not, but good luck in healing! I know tendonitis can be EXTREMELY uncomfortable!

"The basic treatment for tendinitis is rest and ice for several days, then heat, gentle massage, stretching, and finally strengthening. Anti-inflammatories are often given, and other modalities include acupuncture, electric stimulation, whirlpools, and more."

Another common practice would be to implement some sort of splinting device.:thumbsup:

ghosty
09-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I started getting those aches over the summer when i was working about 4 days a week doing prep work at my job, which means a lot of using the meat slicer, and other various slicers in lot's of repetitive movements. I'd get aches on the top halves of my palm around where i would grip the meat slicern that would really hurt sometimes id have to stop and sit there reubbing my hand.. I just asked my job to change my availability a bit and asked that on th days i do work not every single day be prep work, and the aches have gone away. Dunno if you can do that at your job but it helped.

Markass
09-30-2007, 02:43 AM
well I'm a grill cook...the spatula is what's probably doing it to me, and you can't cook without the spatula..I'll probably just have to deal with it, but I hope it doesn't get to a debilitating state..

birdgirl73
09-30-2007, 06:38 AM
From what I've read, underhanded repetetive motion is famous for aggravating certain types of tendinitis and/or nerve tunnel inflammation. Poulty plant workers who work all day with knives cutting against boards get it bad, as do other types of factory and assembly workers. People who use the mouse and keyboard are in that same group. Can you vary up how you hold the spatula, maybe?

Chronisseur
09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey, why not 'customize' a few spatulas with different supportive grips?...could be kinda fun, shit I'd do it FOR ya and send it (in a perfect world)
Good Luck bro and do yourself the favor by not ignoring this problem too much. Just think about your later years, complaining 'bout how them PANCAKES really did a number on ya:D

PS: If you DO infact make a custom spatula, YOU MUST SEND ME A PIC!:)

Markass
09-30-2007, 03:04 PM
From what I've read, underhanded repetetive motion is famous for aggravating certain types of tendinitis and/or nerve tunnel inflammation. Poulty plant workers who work all day with knives cutting against boards get it bad, as do other types of factory and assembly workers. People who use the mouse and keyboard are in that same group. Can you vary up how you hold the spatula, maybe?

well, the tendinitis is in my right hand...and me being ambidextrous...it makes this even more complicated, because I'm able to use my right hand, but rather limited function comes with that..I try to and as far as holding the spatula with the other hand, with me having ocd everything's usually done the same way every time..just because it like just has to be and stuff..

Ganj
09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
How horrible the notion of a cook encountering movement restriction in their hands! How long has this been going on?

Chronisseur
09-30-2007, 03:29 PM
..just because it like just has to be and stuff..

LOL

...OK there Georgie W. :D

xcrispi
09-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey, why not 'customize' a few spatulas with different supportive grips?...could be kinda fun, shit I'd do it FOR ya and send it (in a perfect world)
Good Luck bro and do yourself the favor by not ignoring this problem too much. Just think about your later years, complaining 'bout how them PANCAKES really did a number on ya:D

PS: If you DO infact make a custom spatula, YOU MUST SEND ME A PIC!:)

Dbl. thumbs up to Cron ^ ,
You've been here and seen 1st hand some of the crazy adaptive shit at our house Marc . Fool types like mad -n- hasn't got a finger 1 . You -n- Bob make 1 , then sell the patenet to a major Med. Adaptive Equip. Supply Co. Gotta be stainless though I think being food serv. industry . :D
Peace all
Crispi :jointsmile:

Charles U Farley
10-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Hey Mark,My partner has RA and I have osteo in both of my hands and I have found something that works for us and our friends.I make a lotion and I cant seem to keep it around as it seems to work.Im exper.all the time with different methods and strength but here is my basic recipe that I lifted off from someone on the net(Im short on original ideas but long on getting from folks who know more than me:)Generally I use this on my hands daily and it seems to work,hell who knows it might only be a placebo affect but I guess it doesnt matter if it works right?But I have had enough people use it and want it that I cant keep it around after I make a batch (usually a large one).I freeze it,let the folks who need it that its done and they come over with their containers and I fill em up.I usually end up with so much shake and trim that this is the best way for me to use it(Im not interested in making hash)so I bake and make lotions with it and give to my friends who need the meds.My treats are taken in place of pharm meds that make some of friends sick,so its pretty fullfilling to be able to help folks out.Ok here is the recipe (not mine,just one I stole from someone).

This is the recipe for mediweed cannabis cream recommended for arthritis etc. Obviously this makes quite a lot of cream

500 ml olive oil
75 grams beeswax
50 grams cannabis trim leaves
1 Litre water

Ideally the cream should be made in a slow cooker, or a saucepan can be used but simmer only, do not boil.

Add olive oil and trim and water and simmer for 4 hours, stirring every 30 mins. (or you can use a crock pot which is what I do, less chance of burning that way. Or at least thatā??s what think).

After 4 hours, allow to cool

Pour contents through a sieve into a clean bowl: press the cannabis trim with the back of a spoon to force out as much oil as possible, and discard the trim. Cheese cloth works well also, just takes a bit of force to get all the liquid out. I am fast running out of hand strength to do this though.

Place water and oil solution into coldest part of fridge and after 24 to 48 hours ( I find it takes three to four days, for me anyways) the olive oil will solidify - this will allow you to separate the oil and discard the water. Or place the oil water mix into a freezer.

You should be left with a slightly green olive oil in solid form.

Place it into a saucepan and GENTLY simmer - DO NOT BOIL

Add the beeswax in small pieces and let it dissolve whilst stirring.

Pour mixture into suitable containers - wide necked are best, and allow to cool.

Apply cream twice a day, morning and evening.

You can add a few drops of essential oil like lavender oil, with the beeswax for a pleasant aroma.

My favorite is orange scent. I tried mixing this with patchouli and it didnā??t work well, or at least I didnā??t like the smell of it so now I just use orange.

Let me know how this works out for you.I love what this does for my hands and so does my partner.Good luck and take care brother.

Charles U Farley
10-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Oh I forgot,I also add lanolin but I dont remember how much.Also keep this in the fridge and I put my extras in the freezer.