PDA

View Full Version : Worried sick about my cat OJ

birdgirl73
09-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Can all those of you who love animals out there please send good thoughts on behalf of my orange tabby? I'll move this to our pets and animals sub-forum in a little bit.

I have a wonderful orange tabby, OJ (for Orange Julius), whom I adopted from our former neighbors when he was just a kitten. We fell in love with each other from day one, and I gradually moved him into our house about six or so years ago. He's now one of my best friends in the world. This was the kitty who, when my sister was dying last year from cancer, would sit calmly at her bedside and, when she was in pain or just needed comfort, would stretch a big solid paw out and touch her face and purr. He always wears this goofy, half-sleepy/slightly stoned expression on his face.

Unfortunately, he's missing. It's only been a little over 24 hours. He goes outside at night and roams, then always returns to the garage in the early morning, and I let him in when I get up. But this morning, no OJ. I last saw him at dusk yesterday, out playing in the driveway with his best buddy, an orange tabby who belongs to our other neighbors. That other cat, Tiger, showed up this afternoon late, looking scared and skittish, but OJ didn't return with him.

I'm beside myself with grief. I know it's too early to write him off as lost and gone forever, but that's my fear. I can't stop crying. I am about to go out and walk the block, for the third time, to see if I can see any signs of him. Thanks for all the good thoughts and positive energy you can send!

iNHALE.xHALE.
09-26-2007, 12:02 AM
sorry for hearing that birdgirl, have talked to any of your neighbors to see if they've seen him?

silkyblue
09-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I imagine your sick with worry, have you tried shaking the cat food bag or making "dinner time" noises.
My daughters cat was "awol" for 5 days living with the neighbors, showed up at the door,

take care

FakeBoobsRule
09-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Oh wow Birdgirl, I'm so sorry to hear that. You know how cats are though they like to roam around and have their fun then return so I hope OJ is just out enjoying himself and didn't get hurt. I'll say a prayer for OJ to return safe and sound. He is a cute little cat too BTW.

dean0000
09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Very sorry to hear that, I hope you find him soon and he is alrite. He looks and sounds like a really nice cat.

Psycho4Bud
09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
GOOD LUCK!! May want to check the shelter.....seems that OJ spends alot of time behind bars. j/k

Really though.....best of luck Birdy.....

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

psychocat
09-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I know how you feel and I send all the luck I can muster in the hope that OJ returns safely, it is something I can really realate to because I know how much an animal can mean as my constant companion through some of my roughest times has been my tabby (Tabster(BTW he sends his best too)) and they really do become more than just pets.

ScaryMissMary
09-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Oh Birdgirl,

Im so sorry I have an orange tabby myself named Milo. I'll pray for Oj's safe return. Check those shelters!

Funkmaster H.O.H.N.
09-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Awww man, that's depressing. I hope the little guy comes home soon, he sounds like a great cat to have around.

Blitzed
09-26-2007, 01:19 AM
BG, I know how you feel when i was 16, I lost my best friend, Siamese/tabby cat named Riley. Id had him since ever i could remember, and one day when I woke up he wasnt there. I couldnt sleep, instead i would sit outside at night and call his name just hoping hed hear me call to him. He was missing for 4 days, untill one day he found his way home. I have never felt so relieved in my life.

I hope OJ finds his way home, I know he will, im sure he would never leave the great home he has with you.

My best wishes go out to you.

OLDE ENGLISH '800
09-26-2007, 01:28 AM
sorry to hear that i have lost a cat to the streets i used to have a cat when i was 13 that meant alot to me and she was let outside and i never saw her again that was the first and only cat i have ever had,but anyway im sorry to hear your bad news and i hope you find your oj.

birdgirl73
09-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Well, no sign of him yet. Thanks for all the kind words and good ideas. I have checked with all the neighbors and tried the food-bag-shaking trick until everyone probably thinks I've lost my mind. I will check with the local animal control organization tomorrow and also with the nearest vet. He's microchipped since he's a roamer, but he doesn't wear a collar. I've heard horror stories about them getting accidentally hung on fences and lawn furniture by their collars, so I've never wanted to put one one him. My dad and Dave think someone might have accidentally closed him in a garage and that he'll be back as soon as he's set free.

I feel somewhat better than I did when I posted this. My husband made me eat supper, which helped. I was supposed to go to study group tonight but canceled on that because I wanted to be around here in case he showed up or someone called. I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks again.

Psychocat, give Tabster some extra love tonight for me. He's a doll!

Blitzed
09-26-2007, 02:02 AM
When my Riley went missing, he ended up getting taken in by the lady down the street, who gave him food and water. I would suggest putting his food bowl outside, just in case he stops by when you arent around to find him, cats are resourceful.

And although it may be cliche, missing pet posters couldnt hurt the situation.

FreshNugz
09-26-2007, 02:17 AM
The other night, I was at the grocery store for some late night munchies, and when I was outside, there was a baby kitten running around who was quite obviously lost from home. He was eating twigs and stuff so I got him some food, and I tried to leave him on his way but he just followed, as though he was scared. So, I picked him up for the night because it was the worst place for him to be running around, and he didnt look like he was an outdoor cat. So the next day I went looking in the small town where I found him. I started with a set of apartment buildings behind the grocery store, and I ended up finding the owner! So I gave him back, healthy and happy.
I tell you this as I wish it may happen to you. You're always so compassionate, at least from what I see here...somehow I have a feeling you'll be rewarded.
Good luck!!!

Dave Byrd
09-26-2007, 04:38 AM
^^ She will love that story, FNugz. Blitzed, she has put both a food and a water bowl out for him, but he could get to those anyway in the garage he enters through. She always leaves it cracked about 7 inches so he can get in to safety.

Bird, sweetheart, he'll be back. I just know it. He always has before. He'd be a fool not to, just like I would if I ever went missing. The food and the loving here are simply too good not to come back to. Dustin printed a news article out at the office saying our town and two other suburbs up here are experiencing a mouse and rat problem right now. I expect OJ is just out enjoying the free buffet. Trust me on this. He will be back.

snowblind
09-26-2007, 11:27 AM
hey birdgirl, sorry to hear about your kitty. There hasn't been any removal or delivry tucks around your street has there? its just a cat of ours decided to have a nosy inside one and got shipped to newcastle, bout 180 miles. She didnt have a collar but had a chip so they traced her back to us. was a little scary though. Hope you find him

peace

psychocat
09-26-2007, 07:00 PM
The one thing about cats is they nearly always land on thier feet, I had a tabby called Samson who had at least 3 people believing he was thier cat , he would go stay with them for a few days and then come home. So if by a slim chance OJ doesn't come back it could be because he has adopted a new owner and he may well show sometime in the future.

birdgirl73
09-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Several of y'all saw me post this last night when he'd only been gone a full 24 hours. I was beside myself.

http://boards.cannabis.com/pets-animals/134894-worried-sick-about-my-cat-oj.html#post1659319

I stayed that way all night last night and all day today. This evening when I got home from school and the gym and some errands, I set my stuff down and opened up the front doors so I could keep an eye out front through the storm doors. There, lying on the sidewalk under a big tree was my beloved OJ. He was flipping his tail and licking his paws like nothing had ever happened. When he saw me, he trotted up to the door and came inside.

I will never know where he was for two days and two nights. But I know where he is now--lying at my feet, looking sleepy. Thanks for all the comforting words and good thoughts, everyone. I love you guys! I'll merge this with the other thread in a little bit in the Pets and Animals sub-forum.

FakeBoobsRule
09-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Awesome! Sounds like OJ just wanted to go get him some action! Maybe he had to go track down some of his stolen sports memorabilia in a Vegas hotel room! :D I'm glad he came back in better shape than his friend.

Old Stoner
09-27-2007, 03:40 AM
I bet'cha I know what he was doing for two days and two nights, chasing lady kitty's all over town! ;)

OLDE ENGLISH '800
09-27-2007, 03:41 AM
good to hear

birdgirl73
09-27-2007, 03:48 AM
LOL! That's what Dave said, too. "That cat was out chasing the ladies around and just enjoying a p-u-s-s-y party, baby." Now Dave won't stop making what he thinks are sexy meowing sounds every time he thinks about it.

I think someone held him captive at their house and tried to steal him away from me!

Blitzed
09-27-2007, 03:51 AM
LOL! That's what Dave said, too. "That cat was out chasing the ladies around and just enjoying a p-u-s-s-y party, baby." Now Dave won't stop making what he thinks are sexy meowing sounds every time he thinks about it.

I think someone held him captive at their house and tried to steal him away from me!

Ha, it seems like everyone thinks OJ just wanted a get away at the pussy palace!

rebgirl420
09-27-2007, 04:25 AM
aww thats great news :thumbsup:

Psycho4Bud
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Glad to hear it Bird..........here's a song for the cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLblaUFfHwc

beachguy in thongs
09-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm glad this thread had a happy ending, as early as it did. :detective1:

Weedhound
09-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Bet he got stuck in someone's garage.....;) If he disappears again and comes back.....someone else is probably feeding him.

Chong Version 2.0
09-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Poor kitty. My cat, Chloe, went missing last week. She never went far from the house so I fear the worst .:sadcrying

ntcrawler
09-27-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not to sure on where you live but I think it would be best if you got a collar for your cat so some one doesn't try keeping him especially if he is one of a kind friendly fella.

birdgirl73
09-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Gawd, P4B, that was a hysterically vulgar video. Dave has tears running down his face after that!

Beachguy, I guess it did seem like a story of quick cat recovery to you guys, but to me it seemed like he was missing for an eternity. Weedhound, I think that might have been what happened, too. Hanging out at someone else's and got caught in the garage or even a porch or shed. Or else someone else fell in love with him like I did six years ago and wanted to steal him away.

He's normally very good about coming home when left to his own devices. NtCrawler, we live in a suburb north of Dallas. I probably should put a collar on him just to show he has an owner, but my vet scared me with collar horror stories about accidental hangings and suggested microchipping instead. He also said it was really better to keep the cat inside 24-7, but OJ was born to prowl. When I confine him, he lies in wait and blasts through the door when someone opens it. I may look into one of those break-away collars just to give him a more owned look. If I get him a tag to put on that collar, I'm going to engrave my name and address on one side and "Hands off. This cat is MINE!" on the other!

sd6515
09-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Hey birdgirl in the future what i bought for my cats out of fear of the same hanging and other horror stories is a Velcro collar because it is still great in identifying them but will not harm them they sell them at petcos and are great for protection from being lost or claimed as abandoned and still protecting them from a horrible demise for such great animals. I am so glad to here he is home didn't want to respond to this post in this way while he was missing you know what i mean.
I must add that all free rome pets should have Velcro collars not snap ot hole and post ones because what is your pets life compared to a collar and tag. Even my dog wheres a Velcro collar when at home and only during walks wheres a hole and post collar never a choker if you dog needs a choker he really needs to be trained and loved not abused through an abusive collar.

Psycho4Bud
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Gawd, P4B, that was a hysterically vulgar video. Dave has tears running down his face after that!

LOL....I KNEW that Dave would like it. Kind of catchy tune though. Like I said, there is a lady that sings that every Saturday night at karaoke.

napolitana869
09-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm really glad he came back to you. I would be heart broken if one of my pets every disappeared

4twentE
09-29-2007, 01:35 AM
so glad to hear he came back. i'm an animal lover, especially when it comes to cats. i hate seeing those missing cat signs around town. Ruby has disappeared for a couple days on a couple occasions. i was so happy to see her back each time. hope he doesn't do this to you again.

birdgirl73
10-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Update on OJ

Just thought I'd report that OJ is doing fine and still going out at night, but he hasn't been caught in any more garages, luckily, and has come home as scheduled in the early mornings. I tried keeping him inside, but the loud meowing and begging at the door drove us nuts. He has a green velcro collar now with his name and phone number on it.

Here's a list of what he's eaten over the last week (besides cat food and cat treats, that is):
A small cottontail yard bunny, probably a baby
A medium-sized mockingbird
A large rat
A small field mouse
A baby blackbird or grackle

His hunting habits are deeply distressing to me, but I know he's just acting on his animal instinct. Still, I'm getting tired of having to go out in the mornings with tongs and paper towels and clean up the leftovers from his nightly hunt-a-thons and put them in the trash. He leaves them on the doormat. If I had a haz-mat suit, I'd be wearing one of those. . . .

happiestmferoutthere
10-10-2007, 01:18 AM
If he's leaving them on your doormat,of course, you realize they are a gift for you. Now act grateful and eat them next time, please!:D

LuckyG
10-10-2007, 02:10 AM
If he's leaving them on your doormat,of course, you realize they are a gift for you. Now act grateful and eat them next time, please!:D

A few years back we had a farm cat, and my dad neutered him with the ol' rubber band trick, where you put the rubber band around his nuts and it cuts off the circulation, so the balls eventually just dry up and fall off. Guess what he did with them after that happened... :wtf:

birdgirl73
10-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Tonight it was another baby mockingbird. I can't take this much longer. I know he's bringing them to me as a gift. But it's really getting gross. His hunting instinct must be in high gear because it's cooling off and fall is here. His animal urges are telling him to pack on the pounds now in preparation for hibernation, I guess. The strange thing is he's not a bear or a hibernating creature, but he still hunts more heavily in the fall than any other time.

I may have to ground him.

happiestmferoutthere
10-11-2007, 05:16 AM
I have a cat,a female,and when spring comes, she goes. I'm lucky if I see her 10 minutes a day. I know she doesn't eat right when she leaves, because she gets thin. She will be like this until fall hits. Then she comes in fattens up and sleeps until spring ( well... practically) . She is 10 and does it every year, but I still can't get use to it. I wonder what she does on her trips. She aint talkin'!!( She is fixed, btw, Just 110% cat.)

Friend Indeed
10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Several of y'all saw me post this last night when he'd only been gone a full 24 hours. I was beside myself.

http://boards.cannabis.com/pets-animals/134894-worried-sick-about-my-cat-oj.html#post1659319

I stayed that way all night last night and all day today. This evening when I got home from school and the gym and some errands, I set my stuff down and opened up the front doors so I could keep an eye out front through the storm doors. There, lying on the sidewalk under a big tree was my beloved OJ. He was flipping his tail and licking his paws like nothing had ever happened. When he saw me, he trotted up to the door and came inside.

I will never know where he was for two days and two nights. But I know where he is now--lying at my feet, looking sleepy. Thanks for all the comforting words and good thoughts, everyone. I love you guys! I'll merge this with the other thread in a little bit in the Pets and Animals sub-forum.
BirdGirl73, I am sooooooooo happy for you!!!!

I have 2 cats that I love more than anything.
(1 of them is an orange tabby!)
I would need to be heaviliy medicated if anything ever happened to them.
Bless you & your kitty, that little stinker!:)

:D