PDA

View Full Version : OMG It's a conspiracy!

angry nomad
09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
What pops into your mind when you hear the word, "conspiracy"?

Conspiracies are real. Conspiracy theories are theories until proven true or untrue.

If you and two of your friends decide you are going to play a prank on your big brother, that is a conspiracy. The Founding Fathers conspired against Great Britian. The Nazis conspired against the German government.

Conspiracy automatically has a negative connotation. Many people think of a kook with a sign shouting unintelligibly and raising their fist at the sky, or some such notion.

cannabis campbell
09-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I think there are a lot of conspiracys involving President Bush to be honest but they will never be proved.

jakez
09-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Most of the theories have been proven but people turn facts into fiction in arguments, even though the people guilty in the conspiracies have admitted wrong doing. For example:

"For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will. If that is the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it." - From David Rockefeller's "Memoirs", (p.405).

mfqr
09-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Notice how anytime a conspiracy theory is talked about, there's always some dude coming in and saying something like "yeah, like how there are aliens on this planet right now!" to try and make a point in saying that the conspiracy theory is fiction? It's really stupid, and a really annoying way to try and 'prove' that the conspiracy theory is wrong. It's more of a neutralization "theory." And yes, I do believe that the government has intentionally put this out to condition people to not believe in conspiracy theories. So anytime a conspiracy theory comes out into a conversation, it automatically pops up by someone who has been conditioned to say it. It's a neutralization conspiracy "theory," to neutralize other conspiracy theories, so that nobody listens to the other ones that might actually have some truth in them. And the people doing this never even know it. Yes, I realize that is a conspiracy in itself, but I really do believe it. It's one of the best ways that the government can keep conspiracy theories underground.

angry nomad
10-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Notice how anytime a conspiracy theory is talked about, there's always some dude coming in and saying something like "yeah, like how there are aliens on this planet right now!" to try and make a point in saying that the conspiracy theory is fiction? It's really stupid, and a really annoying way to try and 'prove' that the conspiracy theory is wrong. It's more of a neutralization "theory." And yes, I do believe that the government has intentionally put this out to condition people to not believe in conspiracy theories. So anytime a conspiracy theory comes out into a conversation, it automatically pops up by someone who has been conditioned to say it. It's a neutralization conspiracy "theory," to neutralize other conspiracy theories, so that nobody listens to the other ones that might actually have some truth in them. And the people doing this never even know it. Yes, I realize that is a conspiracy in itself, but I really do believe it. It's one of the best ways that the government can keep conspiracy theories underground.

That is deep. You must be high.

delusionsofNORMALity
10-05-2007, 07:23 PM
right now i'm conspiring with several others to transport a small amount of a controlled substance. yesterday we engaged in a conspiracy concerning the sale of that controlled substance and later we will conspire to partake of that very same controlled substance.
oh what conspirators we are.:cool:

wickerbill
10-05-2007, 09:30 PM
conspiracy theory

NOUN:

A theory seeking to explain a disputed case or matter as a plot by a secret group or alliance rather than an individual or isolated act. :stoned:
Here is the dictionary definition.:D

PlantBoxer
10-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Like The Manhatten Project. What 15,000 people all over America....sure seemed like Japan was surprised. Ziegeist the movie is rocking good for food for thought.

Oh My High
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Semantically speaking, in the strict sense, almost all conspiracy theories are not actually theories. Theory is a scientific term which means “a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena.” Ergo, conspiracy theories are merely only conspiratorial guesses. Watergate and ENRON were conspiracy theories because there was actual evidence, but conspiratorial theories surrounding JFK and the moon landing "hoax" are merely unsubstantiated guesses, for example.

Not to make a point, but I just wanted to that off my chest. Now to make my point:

For every historical event, there seemingly is always a corresponding conspiracy theory (by the looser sense of the word). This notion that events were not what they seem and are caused by secret alternative explanations is bullshit. By and large, with rare exceptions, things happen exactly how they seem. To quote historian Bruce Cumings: "But if conspiracies exist, they rarely move history; they make a difference at the margins from time to time, but with the unforeseen consequences of a logic outside the control of their authors: and this is what is wrong with 'conspiracy theory.' History is moved by the broad forces and large structures of human collectivities."

mfqr
10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Semantically speaking, in the strict sense, almost all conspiracy theories are not actually theories. Theory is a scientific term which means ??a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena.? Ergo, conspiracy theories are merely only conspiratorial guesses. Watergate and ENRON were conspiracy theories because there was actual evidence, but conspiratorial theories surrounding JFK and the moon landing "hoax" are merely unsubstantiated guesses, for example.

Not to make a point, but I just wanted to that off my chest. Now to make my point:

For every historical event, there seemingly is always a corresponding conspiracy theory (by the looser sense of the word). This notion that events were not what they seem and are caused by secret alternative explanations is bullshit. By and large, with rare exceptions, things happen exactly how they seem. To quote historian Bruce Cumings: "But if conspiracies exist, they rarely move history; they make a difference at the margins from time to time, but with the unforeseen consequences of a logic outside the control of their authors: and this is what is wrong with 'conspiracy theory.' History is moved by the broad forces and large structures of human collectivities."

When it comes to the semantics of the word "theory," you are correct. Most are not theories. I'd say they are hypotheses, to an extent. So yes, you're right about that.

Things are not exactly how they seem. I think it's ignorant to say that everything is exactly how it seems, except in rare exceptions. That is implying that it is very rare for there to be deception on any level of society... even down to the personal level. It's also ignorant to say that government conspiracies are 'very rare', because how would you know if they are? There could be thousands underway right now, or there could be zero, or anything in between... the point is, how would you know? It's not as if government conspiracies are publicized by the perpetrators, or even hinted on. Bruce Cumings could be right about conspiracies, for the most part, not moving history. They are subtle, and I'd so most conspirators aren't out to change the world... but rather for a more individual gain. Either way, it would be ignorant to say that it is impossible that our government was involved with 9/11 on some level.

I can tell you of one conspiracy that changed the course of history: Hitler conspiring with others to burn down the Reischtag, and blaming it on communists to become the chancellor of Germany. And soon thereafter, assuming full dictatorial power over Germany. You could also say how the Soviet Union was created was a conspiracy, and obviously changed history. But yes, it isn't very often that conspiracies will change the world. However, once again, that doesn't mean that right now there isn't one underway. Through many subtle and connecting conspiracies, the world can be changed over time.

I will admit that a lot of the conspiracy 'theories' (or guesses as you say) are really far-out. But nothing is impossible, and conspiracies are not an exception to that.

Also, I'd like to comment about the news and media on the topic of "everything is exactly as it seems." Maybe you already know what I'm going to get at with this one. But it's pretty obvious that the media does a very good job at creating a false sense of reality. The news networks, I'd say, are the most notorious for this. Propaganda, etc. So how can everything be exactly as it seems, when people are persuaded by biased news? It creates a false reality. I believe that things are only exactly as they seem if you know exactly how they are. It's how you perceive the world which dictates how true or false that statement is.

Take care

mfqr
10-07-2007, 11:49 PM
But that's also why the original saying is "Not everything is always as it seems." The *always* is placed there, because otherwise it would be saying that nothing is as it seems.

Oh My High
10-10-2007, 12:28 AM
To refine my statement of things are as they seem, conspiracy theories almost always fail Occam's Razor.

People feel the need for big events to have equally big explanations. People have a hard time coping with how the security of their lives could instantly be unraveled by something so small and simple as, for instance, a lone gunman nobody or foreign terrorists armed with only box knives; they think, oh yes, there was some underlying system, some conspiracy, which guided the process along. There is in fact a good body of evidence which suggests people who tend to believe in conspiracy theories tend to have what psychologists call an external locus of control; they feel life happens to them rather than by their proactively leading their lives where they want, which would explain why conspiracy theories tend to run rampant amongst the economically disadvantaged, ethnic minorities, teenagers, and criminals. Whereas skeptics of conspiracies tend to have an internal locus of control.

Best regards.

angry nomad
10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Semantically speaking, in the strict sense, almost all conspiracy theories are not actually theories. Theory is a scientific term which means ??a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena.? Ergo, conspiracy theories are merely only conspiratorial guesses. Watergate and ENRON were conspiracy theories because there was actual evidence, but conspiratorial theories surrounding JFK and the moon landing "hoax" are merely unsubstantiated guesses, for example.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
the·o·ry /ˈθiəri, ˈθɪəri/ Pronunciation Key [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]
??noun, plural -ries.
1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
3. Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
6. contemplation or speculation.
7. guess or conjecture.
[Origin: 1590??1600; < LL theōria < Gk theōr*a a viewing, contemplating, equiv. to theōr(eǐn) to view + -ia -y3]

??Synonyms 1. Theory, hypothesis are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena: the theory of relativity. A hypothesis is a conjecture put forth as a possible explanation of phenomena or relations, which serves as a basis of argument or experimentation to reach the truth: This idea is only a hypothesis.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

angry nomad
10-10-2007, 04:07 PM
To refine my statement of things are as they seem, conspiracy theories almost always fail Occam's Razor.

People feel the need for big events to have equally big explanations. People have a hard time coping with how the security of their lives could instantly be unraveled by something so small and simple as, for instance, a lone gunman nobody or foreign terrorists armed with only box knives; they think, oh yes, there was some underlying system, some conspiracy, which guided the process along. There is in fact a good body of evidence which suggests people who tend to believe in conspiracy theories tend to have what psychologists call an external locus of control; they feel life happens to them rather than by their proactively leading their lives where they want, which would explain why conspiracy theories tend to run rampant amongst the economically disadvantaged, ethnic minorities, teenagers, and criminals. Whereas skeptics of conspiracies tend to have an internal locus of control.

Best regards.

I do see your point in saying that capable people that blame others for their problems are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories.

My point in the original post is that conspiracies are everywhere, past and present, large and small.

A gang working together to start a riot is a conspiracy. Two employees working together to get their boss fired is a conspiracy. Every attempted coup is a conspiracy.

pisshead
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Best regards.

What a load of crap. I don't fit any of those categories.

I don't believe the freedom hating muslims with boxcutters commanded by the guy in the cave on the dialysis machine conspiracy theory because the evidence says otherwise.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10-11-2007, 01:09 AM
I'd just like to point out; it's getting a bit rediculous how people are using "Occam's Razor" as "Occam's Law".

yokinazu
10-11-2007, 04:44 PM
i got up this mornin and was already to have a nice toasty bagel. well upon opening the fridge i couldnt find the bagel i was looking for. i searched and searched but to no avail. i also found a huge glob of my cream cheese missing. i said to my self , i said" self where oh where id i put that bagel." so then i decided instead i would try some biscuits with bacon and maybe some gravy. well to my suprise there was only 2 strips of bacon. so again i said " self what the hell is goin on?" it then occured to me that maybe aliens came in at took my stuff. maybe it was hillary clinton and her tribe of shape shifting reptilian people from the center of the earth. by now im really paranoid. maybe they were watchin. by this point i decided to just relax and have some coffee. well no one in my house,inclding me, can thro out the old filter and grounds after the coffee is done. so i open up the trash can and what is there but my bagel wrapper and some scraps of bacon fat. thats when the truth hit me. that it was all just a ploy to make me have to eat plain old buttered toast. i suspect my roommates for commiting this attrocity,maybe they are shape shifting reptiles , maybe they work for then men in black, or maybe the cia, or perhaps some worse hither to unknown organization.

what is a man to do? think ill sit down with my toast and contemplate it

pisshead
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
i got up this mornin and was already to have a nice toasty bagel. well upon opening the fridge i couldnt find the bagel i was looking for. i searched and searched but to no avail. i also found a huge glob of my cream cheese missing. i said to my self , i said" self where oh where id i put that bagel." so then i decided instead i would try some biscuits with bacon and maybe some gravy. well to my suprise there was only 2 strips of bacon. so again i said " self what the hell is goin on?" it then occured to me that maybe aliens came in at took my stuff. maybe it was hillary clinton and her tribe of shape shifting reptilian people from the center of the earth. by now im really paranoid. maybe they were watchin. by this point i decided to just relax and have some coffee. well no one in my house,inclding me, can thro out the old filter and grounds after the coffee is done. so i open up the trash can and what is there but my bagel wrapper and some scraps of bacon fat. thats when the truth hit me. that it was all just a ploy to make me have to eat plain old buttered toast. i suspect my roommates for commiting this attrocity,maybe they are shape shifting reptiles , maybe they work for then men in black, or maybe the cia, or perhaps some worse hither to unknown organization.

what is a man to do? think ill sit down with my toast and contemplate it

perhaps it was 19 freedom hating muslims with boxcutters, they were told by the guy in the cave on the dialysis machine to do it...

epxroot
10-11-2007, 06:46 PM
The government for some reason comes to mind any time I hear the word!!

Shamp
10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
HOLY WAR!!!