PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Amsterdam....

Nation_1ne
09-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey all, next month I'm thinking about going to Amsterdam for obvious reasons. I was just wondering is it expensive there? If so, is there anywhere similar to Amsterdam worth going to that would potentially stop me from burning a whole in my wallet?

Any tips on where to stay and visit would be much appreciated.

Also any tips on etiquette out there and possible threats would be appreciated.

thecreator
09-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Yea its pricey but well worth it from what I've heard. A friend of mine said the first thing he did was find a name brand dealer off the street if you catch my drift. Dank in coffee houses is so expensive my god he said you can't relay get anything with any less than 75 a person you know. I've heard Canada is the Amsterdam of North America.All in all the city is beautiful and the streets are filled with culture and history far beyond even my own comprehension for I have never actually traveled to any Dutch speaking countries(Primary language wise) . If you have a chance to go I'd obviously recommend it but I imagine it would be a trip of a life time.:thumbsup:

the image reaper
09-19-2007, 06:15 PM
I know a woman that lives there ... she always tells me: BRING MONEY ... $$$$ ... lol

Nation_1ne
09-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Ahh right, you see the problem is I can't really afford anything too pricey. I want something like a long weekend away and to have a good laugh. Hearing that it can be so costly is a bit of a downer for me.

WEsmokeED
09-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Yea its pricey but well worth it from what I've heard. A friend of mine said the first thing he did was find a name brand dealer off the street if you catch my drift. Dank in coffee houses is so expensive my god he said you can't relay get anything with any less than 75 a person you know. I've heard Canada is the Amsterdam of North America.All in all the city is beautiful and the streets are filled with culture and history far beyond even my own comprehension for I have never actually traveled to any Dutch speaking countries(Primary language wise) . If you have a chance to go I'd obviously recommend it but I imagine it would be a trip of a life time.:thumbsup:

Yea British Columbia is supposed to be just as good, coffee shops, and the drinking age is 18. Also they say there is more variety of weed in Amsterdam but the best in the world is in BC.

But ive never been to either so i dont REALLY know...

Reefer Rogue
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
There's no place like A-dam :)

psteve
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
You can do it on the cheap. I'm about to do it on the cheap myself! LOL
The problem isn't that you can't do it for less, the problem is that it's SO DAMN EASY to spend money there. There are a million opportunities to spend it on things you WANT, and can't usually find elsewhere. Weed, meals, chocolates, museum admission,souvenirs, etc.
Do what the Dutch do. Just don't spend it.
You just have to be willing to eat and sleep in less that 5 star facilities.
If you don't mind fast food and bunk beds, you're probably in the ball park.
Good weed or hash there is 5 to 20 Euros per gram, so include that in your calculations.
Shop around.
Don't buy all your weed in one place.
The weed is why you're there. Enjoy it.

Jack Daniel
09-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Tip 1: Don't find a dealer on the street, the best is to be had in The Coffee Shops;

Tip 2: Book a Hostel before you go, they are very reasonable priced.

PaRanOiD81
09-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Tip 1: Don't find a dealer on the street, the best is to be had in The Coffee Shops;

Tip 2: Book a Hostel before you go, they are very reasonable priced.

don't do #2, hostels are bad. I seen this movie where these kids got killed because of a hostel, I think it was based on a true story :( but dont do that to yourself.

where would you be traveling from?

Jack Daniel
09-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Only Americans get killed in European 'Hostels'

the image reaper
09-19-2007, 10:56 PM
my Amsterdam born-and-raised lady friend did give me one bit of advice: she said NEVER, NEVER, sleep in the park, like I may see some people do ... she said it's likely I would wake up being robbed, at the point of a knife ... (sounds like my hometown in Illinois :D)

Jack Daniel
09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
^

good advice but I'd say that applies to everywhere

robo scat
09-19-2007, 11:20 PM
^
Haha

PaRanOiD81
09-19-2007, 11:24 PM
my Amsterdam born...... at the point of a knife ... (sounds like my hometown in Illinois :D)

Hahaha, same in newark :( kind of sucks

Why do only americans get killed in european hostels? Is that a statistic. Please enlighten me :)

Nation_1ne
09-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the advice so far folks, more info is welcome.

psteve, thanks for the info mate. My aim is to just go out there and get very high to be honest, maybe dabble in the culture also lol. Do you have any recommendations when it comes to accommodation?

Hahaha, same in newark :( kind of sucks

Why do only americans get killed in european hostels? Is that a statistic. Please enlighten me :)

Could be reffering to the film "Hostel".

MadSativa
09-20-2007, 12:07 AM
hash is alot more expensive than that. Usualy fromm 30-50 euro for the good stuff. But theri are always deals and somtimes they are very good deals like the best hash of the year for 25 euro a g. Weed however is pretty cheap compared to the US, If you realy wana go go for this years cup it is Amsterdams off sesason so Hotels are a bit cheaper and for 200 American you get a judges pass and youll get at least 3 OZ of good herb and Hash to Judge alot with invitations to cafe parties or specials, kinda like happy hour here. Last year I was wasted the whole week and this year I got a nice spot to stay at and its right close to everything on the CUP. I recommend getting a bike its like 30 euro a week so if you stay a while it is good.

psteve
09-20-2007, 12:09 AM
I'll be staying at the Bulldog hotel. It's like a hostel, but with the services of a hotel.
I sometimes stay at the Quentin Hotel.

Gennaro
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Ahh right, you see the problem is I can't really afford anything too pricey. I want something like a long weekend away and to have a good laugh. Hearing that it can be so costly is a bit of a downer for me.

Legal everything F*king enjoy !

MadSativa
09-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Quentin Hotel.

I was thinkin about the Quentin Hotel have you ever stayed their?? I t looks kool i am gonna be either at ledsplien or at the central. Not sure which one yet the central is prtty cheap but right at the central, the ledis is right on the ledsplein I stayed at the leids 2 years ago and I liked it. They have free contintall breakfast buffet every morning and its right on the leidsplien. I found Price line is the best if your booking a total trip (air, car, hotel) For about 1300 american you can go to the CUP for a whole week and have a nice place to stay. I heard Manu Chow might play in the DAM somewhere during the cup week, I realy wana see that.

psteve
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
the Quentin Hotel have you ever stayed their??Many times.
At one time, I had a regular room there for three months a year.

MadSativa
09-20-2007, 12:37 AM
sick did u have one of those lofts?? I would like to have a whole loft for the week

psteve
09-20-2007, 02:17 AM
sick did u have one of those lofts?? I would like to have a whole loft for the week
A couple different times.

FlyByNite
09-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Here (http://192.148.252.25/~reatta/menus.html) are a bunch of Coffeeshop Menus. Some as recent as last month. Ewindow shop before you go.

For a 6 euro round trip ticket you can go to Haarlem, rooms and weed are cheaper there for the most part. it is a 20 minute train ride from Amsterdam.

If you would like to be listed on the Whos In Town page, just give me your dates and I'll post it.

psychocat
09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Amsterdam can be pricey and I prefer Den Hague for buying weed from. I love the Dam and visited there almost every month when I lived in Holland (1987 to 1999) and it's got such a variety of attractions, definately my number 2 European city (Rotterdam #1).

Hostels are safe , the movie hostel was actualy based on a web advert that the writer of the movie supposedly found. The story goes that an advert on the web offered people the opportunity (for a price) to kill another human being with no consequences. I suppose it would be possible in under developed countries but it's hardly likely that you could just go round grabbing tourists out of hostels in Europe.

psteve
09-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Amsterdam can be pricey and I prefer Den Hague for buying weed from.
I completely agree. My favorite deal in Holland is the Haze in Den Haag at coffeeshop 'The Crow', on Hooigracht. I also frequent 'the Juke Box', 'Happy Smile', 'Meneer Janssen', and 'Blue & White', in Scheveningen.
Other great towns for getting better deals include Utrecht, Delft, Nijmegen (I love 'de Kronkel'!), Den Bosch, and Haarlem.
Rotterdam is a great city for weed, but not necessarily cheap. Some of my favorite shops in R'dam are 'De Schurk', 'Sky High', and the now closed 'Sensi Cafe'.

thcbongman
11-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Yee-Haw!

My g/f is going to take me to Amsterdam in December!

:yippee:

FlyByNite
11-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Yee-Haw!

What dates in December, I'll post you on the Whos In Town page.

thcbongman
11-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Dec 25 - 29.

cm8883
11-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Yee-Haw!

That's a good girl right there

Nightrafe
11-10-2007, 01:55 PM
You better go to smaller towns. The prices are way better there. I went monday to Geleen (small village) and I paid 3 euros for a gram Maroc (hash), while I pay 5 euros for a gram Maroc in Maastricht (city)

FlyByNite
11-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Dec 25 - 29.

Thank you for the information. You are now posted on the December Whos In Town page. Have a great trip.

Too bad you couldn't stay a couple more days for New Years in Amsterdam. I am sure you will enjoy every moment anyway.