PDA

View Full Version : AA laws

dackst
09-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I know there is an Ann Arbor meet and greet thread already up, but I wanted to clue Michiganders in general into AA marijuana laws.

As some of you might know, AA has some of the most progressive 420 laws in the nation. You can read the City Charter here: Ann Arbor City Charter (http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/Clerks/charter.pdf) Section 16 deals with marijuana.

Even places that have decriminalized possession do so only under certain weight limits. I don't know of anywhere else where possession, use, cultivation, and sale are all subject to the same de minimis penalties.

In AA, possession, use, cultivation, and sale are all civil infractions - basically like parking tickets. Fines are $25, $50, $100 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ offenses, and are waived upon showing a MMJ recommendation. Finally, the police can only refer cases to the city attorney, and the city attorney can't send them elsewhere.

Note that there are no weight restrictions. Neat, huh? The only trick is to be very certain you're within city limits and off the University. The University doesn't really like these laws and WILL bust smokers.

Anyone have any practical experience with this? As far as I can tell, it's like the AA Police's #10,104 priority.

Grimace
09-18-2007, 02:47 AM
I dunno but next time I go there I will smoke on the sidewalk in the open (scouts honor) and see if anything happens. I think that in AA there is barely any chance of even getting caught let alone getting a ticket. If I was a cop I would take the weed away and thats it because such a minor infraction isnt really worth paperwork.

That being said I love ann arbor its easily my favorite town in MI maybe even in the US. I hope to move closer in later days but for now its just an hour and a half drive so im good :).

p.s. what should I smoke with? and if anyone would like to tag along just let me know:).

dackst
09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Ha. 6ft bong rips on State St. Call me for that one, haha.