PDA

View Full Version : What's the meaning of life?

Reefer Rogue
09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I believe the meaning of life to be subjective, as we create our own essences through the choices we make each day. My personal meaning of life is inner peace and outer harmony, while living and serving Jah.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts and what their meaning to life is.

killerweed420
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Your born,you work hard, you die.

snowblind
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
to live a meaningful life. i think you hit it on the head, inner and outter peace. but i would add passion, integrity and to benefit others and oneself, but not at the cost of others and your integrity.

i hate one used in the context but it semed to fit. im not that posh

peace

rguitar87
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
To smoke weed of course.

Or learn lessons and transcend human nature.

CommanderChief
09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
You're right, meaning is defined by the individual. You can always claim that there's some mystical purpose for your existance if you have a base to do that.... like Christianity or Islam.. w/e

Spoken Word
09-05-2007, 11:27 PM
My meaning?
Until I have my children, the pursuit of happiness.

And I should never lose sight of that, thanks for reminding me.

IThinkIamFeelingit
09-05-2007, 11:30 PM
There is no meaning to this life...you are nothing but a being wandering semi aimlessly through this existence...get over the fact that there has to be a meaning for this life...live it NOW!

Reefer Rogue
09-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Preference utilitarianism is a pretty cool theory.

Kai as a kite
09-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, here's an interesting theory:

The Dilbert Blog: Atlantis (http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/09/atlantis.html)

I could see it happening.

Mr. Bubbles
09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
The meaning of life is to live, obviously.

Reefer Rogue
09-06-2007, 04:03 PM
If it were so obvious then everyone in the world with agree with you. However, i doubt they would.

IThinkIamFeelingit
09-06-2007, 04:12 PM
It isn't more than it is...it is life, you have been givin...nothing else...do with it as you please...have fun and get over the meaning of life...THERE IS NO MEANING! and the less time that we dedicate to figuring IT out, the more time we will have to go and have fun..

Reefer Rogue
09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Figuring out our own personal meanings of life is fun.

THClord
09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Life is a complex wave. It was created randomly, and ripples on and spreads and evolves.

From this you get the best answer. Life has no reason, sooo.........

..... you can do whatever the fuck you want!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!

Blitzed
09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
To be happy, have fun, and to be with the people I care about and love.

Reefer Rogue
09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
To embrace existence while we can, each and every day.

Chronisseur
09-07-2007, 12:36 AM
The meaning of life is death.:wtf:

Seriously, I think as humans we play an imperative role in the biological transformation of this mass we call Earth.

Coelho
09-07-2007, 01:07 AM
I think the "Meaning of life" is something completly personal. Each one believes (or not) that their life have (or not) some "meaning".
So, i think to talk about "meaning of life" in a general sense is somewhat meaningless. I think it only makes sense if were to talk about the "meaning of your life".
Even cause "meaning" is a thing only we humans think about. All the other animals are alive, and yet they dont think about meanings. They just are alive, with or without any meaning for their life.

afghooey
09-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Maybe life is the meaning of everything else. :stoned:

krazy chino
09-07-2007, 02:47 AM
to get the best out of life and enjoy it...........

Mohksha
09-07-2007, 03:05 AM
I think life is all about doing whats best for yourself, honestly. And by honestly, I mean no cheating other folks. This is debatable, but I think that if everyone just did what was best for themselves, this world would be a much happier place.

mfqr
09-07-2007, 03:22 AM
I think the "Meaning of life" is something completly personal. Each one believes (or not) that their life have (or not) some "meaning".
So, i think to talk about "meaning of life" in a general sense is somewhat meaningless. I think it only makes sense if were to talk about the "meaning of your life".
Even cause "meaning" is a thing only we humans think about. All the other animals are alive, and yet they dont think about meanings. They just are alive, with or without any meaning for their life.

I agree with you on everything except about the part with animals. There's no way we can know if they have accepted some sort of meaning to their lives or not. In fact, I believe that many animals can reason as well as us.

Coelho
09-07-2007, 04:37 AM
There's no way we can know if they have accepted some sort of meaning to their lives or not.

Well... thats right. I was only supposing that the other animals dont think like us. What dont mean they dont think in their own way, as you rightly stated.

In fact, I believe that many animals can reason as well as us.

Watch out... many animals would be offended if heard such things... and some humans too! :p

Baby Seymour
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Your right, the meaning of life is completly personal to each of us, so how about offering your own personal statements?

For me the meaning of life changes everyday. The meaning never stays the same because life itself is always changing, I gusse that could be a short term kind of way of thinking, but why bother thinking in the long term? what good will it do you when you can never really be sure of the conciquences of anything (thats right all yall utilitarians ;))

I chose to live each day, not always to the full extent, but in a way that I am content with, because inner peace leads to a happier outlook, and that in turn alows you to help others become happier in themselves.

Peace and love.

Liverpool Ghandi
09-13-2007, 04:53 PM
read the 5 rings, that pretty much explains it in the final part imo

imitator
09-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Idk, I think the quote in my sig really explains how I look at the meaning of life.

Have Patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try and love the questions themselves... Dont' search for the answers which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them... Live the questions... gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer... take whatever comes with great trust... as long as it comes out of your own will.

-Letters to a Young Poet; Rainer Maria Rilke

So basically, we find the meaning of life for us, through living our lives. If we put our lives on hold to try to find the meaning of life, then we will never find it.

Live the question, let your life become the answer.

geonagual
09-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Does it really matter what I post here?

imitator
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Does it really matter what I post here?

Do you feel there is meaning in posting here? :p

geonagual
09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Do you feel there is meaning in posting here? :p

There is no meaning. It changes nothing:hippy:

imitator
09-13-2007, 05:42 PM
There is no meaning. It changes nothing:hippy:

Is it your belief that the purpose of posting here is to change something?

And is it not possible that perhaps some people take what the others have written so far, and consider it, and gain something from it? In that case, wouldnt it have changed something, and had meaning?

geonagual
09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Is it your belief that the purpose of posting here is to change something?

And is it not possible that perhaps some people take what the others have written so far, and consider it, and gain something from it? In that case, wouldnt it have changed something, and had meaning?

No. I think your confusing change with meaning. If you change or your life changes. It is nothing more than life. If you change someones life..it is still life or change. It has nothing to do with meaning. Is there a reason why each person has so much self pride to believe that their life has to have meaning..that it must..life is life..you enjoy it, you do your best..then one day you die, just like everyone else..people waste thier whole life trying to justify this life, why are we here? what happens when we die? My life MUST have meaning..it has none..just like posting on this board has no meaning.

HighTillIDie
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
the meaning of life... lol there isn't one... i don't believe in sentient creation

my "meaning" or "purpose", to make myself happy for as long as i can, and as greatly as i can

cuz then i die

Gennaro
09-13-2007, 06:06 PM
its basicaly finding youself some one told me .

imitator
09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
No. I think your confusing change with meaning. If you change or your life changes. It is nothing more than life. If you change someones life..it is still life or change. It has nothing to do with meaning. Is there a reason why each person has so much self pride to believe that their life has to have meaning..that it must..life is life..you enjoy it, you do your best..then one day you die, just like everyone else..people waste thier whole life trying to justify this life, why are we here? what happens when we die? My life MUST have meaning..it has none..just like posting on this board has no meaning.

I think you are confusing what I am saying.

There can be meaning in this very post. It could affect everything up to a global scale, and then it would have meaning. Something can mean something to someone, and still not neccessarily be the same meaning as the meaning of life.

There are varying degree's of it, and the simple fact that we are having this conversation means something to me, so therefore it has meaning. It might not be the meaning you are thinking of, or wish, but it still has meaning.

The problem with most people isnt that they want their life to have meaning. Most peoples lives have meaning... its that they want it to have a great meaning, something grand and huge and easily noticible and remembered by all.

Chronisseur
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I just feel like you're all trying to disrupt the natural 'meaning' of life.
If we infact MAKE our meaning to 'discover' our ORIGINAL meaning,...well dammit we're taking away from the will to live! Damn devil worshippers!

...So who sent you?:wtf:

Mr. Bubbles
09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
The meaning of life is simply to live. To live until your death. The purpose of life is how you live, and believe.

Reefer Rogue
09-14-2007, 06:50 AM
The day the dollar die, people will respect each other...

psteve
09-14-2007, 06:56 AM
What's the meaning of life?
A Monty Python movie.

Reefer Rogue
09-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Monty Python, and the holy grail, especially while baked IS the meaning of life. :D

anaconda19
10-04-2007, 07:04 PM
the meaning of life is to grow smoke and worship the herb which has been a part of human exhistance for over five thousand years(5000 is approx the first recordings of its use to my knowledge) ...... in other words to get stoned. thats my opinion.

ZiG
10-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Living is a test, our conscience is the guide. The meaning of life is to pass the test.

DJ.VENGE.Kaspa2otree
11-03-2007, 04:15 AM
the meaning of life is to continue life, to perserve the humanity and to evolve.

But the question "what is the meaning of life" is more concisely put: What is It?

to that i have an answer. not the answer, but an answer.

when you seperate the I and Me to try to find it, your not finding it but rather trying to fix It. This is because the 'I' does not understand it is a part of change that is forever now. We have the impression that 'I' is something solid and still.

:rastasmoke:

As Alan Watts said " If you ask me to show you God, I will point to the sun or a tree, or a worm,. But if you say. "You mean, then, that God is the sun, the tree, the worm and all other things?" - I shall have to say you've missed the point entirely"

-Kaspa

Texican31
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I think it does deal with an individual but it's what you want to make it. It's always said that life is 90% what happens to you and 10% on how you react to what happens to you but I still believe in the that we have a plan from a higher power either it be good or evil but it keeps the balance in the world.

Its a Plant
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning. It is what you make of it, basically. ~

psychocat
11-04-2007, 10:34 PM
YouTube - The Meaning of Life - The Galaxy Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmeSBUPswM)

Sing along folks!

I love that last line.

jennielee685
11-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I think that the meaning of life is to do as much good as you can for as many people as you can in as many places as you can. After all we have to hands. One to help our selves and one to help others... or is that one to hold the bowl and one to light it up?

Cannabis-Sativa
11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
To live full of emotion.

and...

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

beachguy in thongs
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
The meaning of life is to figure it all out.

Reefer Rogue
11-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I think that the meaning of life is to do as much good as you can for as many people as you can in as many places as you can. After all we have to hands. One to help our selves and one to help others... or is that one to hold the bowl and one to light it up?

What is good? ;)

Innominate
11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Life is so meaningless, we might as well make ourselves extraordinary.

The purpose is finding out the truth after life.

treefingers
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
if meaning of life refers to the purpose of life, i hold it to this:

-creating something to pass on as an expression of yourself, pretty open-ended. in the form of art, which itself is open-ended, children, etc.
-being courageous, and having wisdom: know what is "good" and "bad"; moderation of everything, including moderation; practicing selflessness as well as selfishness
-and trying to learn as much about eveyrthing as possible.

i think everyone lives by at least one of these one way or another, maybe without knowing it

Reefer Rogue
11-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Life is so meaningless, we might as well make ourselves extraordinary.

The purpose is finding out the truth after life.

Attemp to find out your own personal truths while you are still alive. Do not rely on the slim possibility there is an after life.

Innominate
12-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Attemp to find out your own personal truths while you are still alive. Do not rely on the slim possibility there is an after life.
Your right, but the breathe of our universe far exceeds the human body.

I've come to understand that faith is a driving force for the capabilities of man, but remain pledged for truth.

Orzy
12-01-2007, 09:31 AM
I think the mere fact that we can ponder "the meaning of life" shows that something went drastically wrong in our species evolutionary process. Shouldn't we be blindly reproducing and killing other species as to keep the earth in a perfect equilibrium? If that were the case our planet and specie would be in better shape.

I don't really believe that human consciousness displays proof of a higher being. More than anything I think it's just a random anomaly that will fail and lead to a better ruling specie on this planet. That is if we don't destroy the planet along with ourselves, but that's such an arrogant thought. To think that us, a random evolutionary event, could fuck up the very process that created us; but in many ways we've already done that.

...wait, what?

NinjaToke
12-02-2007, 01:54 AM
as long as my level of pleasure and happiness outweighs the bad i dont care haha

meatw4d
12-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Why are we here?

That's the question. Most of the replies I've seen have to do with personal fulfillment. What about the grand scheme of things? What are we here for as a whole?

cm8883
12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I believe the meaning of life is to love and serve our fellow human beings.

Reefer Rogue
12-02-2007, 03:09 PM
We are here to survive, we are here to live. To find purpose, to create our own essence. To reach the targets we set for ourself. To progress. We search for meaning, for truth, for our beliefs. This is life.

JAKERM8
12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
for me the i would say there is no meaning. It is what you make of it. The purpose of life is different for different people. But whatever your personal purpose is I would venture to say most people would agree that if you do not help others along the way that your personal purpose is meaningless.

JAKERM8
12-10-2007, 06:34 AM
btw nice pic reefer rouge.

iniganja
12-30-2007, 02:47 AM
The meaning of life is based on the individuals standard of living; his values. We are all here to survive, produce (with our minds), and succeed (achieve our goals). When you set the standard and reach or find your top value then you have accomplished the meaning of life.

yhelothar
12-30-2007, 03:14 AM
The meaning of life is that there is no meaning to life. You make your own meaning through your actions as an individual. You could give your life up to a cause you believe is worthy. You can stay at home and smoke until you don't care. You can fight to make your existence meaningful through discovery. You can raise your children to be ready to start their own journey into the fabric of life. There is not logical meaning for our existence, I believe. You guys should look at this:

Uncertainty principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle)

and

Observer effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect)

That is extremely relevant believe it or not. It shows that our very existence and being able to observe changes the movement of subatomic particles. This leads into countless theories of reality. I can't really explain it better than wiki.

I love these debates.

yhelothar
12-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Why are we here?

That's the question. Most of the replies I've seen have to do with personal fulfillment. What about the grand scheme of things? What are we here for as a whole?

This is the question which only religion and Hollywood can answer. Or think they can answer depending on your religion.

iniganja
12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
yhelothar--

You are right about one thing; the meaning of life is based on the individual. But, the individual has to choose to grasp reality. Existence exists. This computer I am typing on and my fingers doing the typing all exist. No one can deny, alter, or will away reality. It comes down to the individual choosing rationality and reason as guidance. If not, then they are doomed for self destruction.
Yes, religion is at the bottom of the dirt. Brainwashing people to submit their minds to faith; to call to someone they have no proof exists; to take no responsibility for themselves because there is some divine plan already in place.
If any of you reading this have some extra time, read these excerpts from a few Ayn Rand essays:

Rationality--
Rationality is the recognition of the fact that existence exists, that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it, which is thinkingâ??that the mind is one's only judge of values and one's only guide of actionâ??that reason is an absolute that permits no compromiseâ??that a concession to the irrational invalidates one's consciousness and turns it from the task of perceiving to the task of faking realityâ??that the alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short-circuit destroying the mindâ??that the acceptance of a mystical invention is a wish for the annihilation of existence and, properly, annihilates one's consciousness.

Reason--(Leonard Peikoff, heir to Rand's estate)
The senses, concepts, logic: these are the elements of man's rational facultyâ??its start, its form, its method. In essence, "follow reason" means: base knowledge on observation; form concepts according to the actual (measurable) relationships among concretes; use concepts according to the rules of logic (ultimately, the Law of Identity). Since each of these elements is based on the facts of reality, the conclusions reached by a process of reason are objective.

The alternative to reason is some form of mysticism or skepticism.

Free Will--
That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call "free will" is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.

Faith--
Do not say that you're afraid to trust your mind because you know so little. Are you safer in surrendering to mystics and discarding the little that you know? Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life. Redeem your mind from the hockshops of authority. Accept the fact that you are not omniscient, but playing a zombie will not give you omniscienceâ??that your mind is fallible, but becoming mindless will not make you infallibleâ??that an error made on your own is safer than ten truths accepted on faith, because the first leaves you the means to correct it, but the second destroys your capacity to distinguish truth from error.

MadSativa
12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
To live free and
die well

Metaphor
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I used to think the meaning of life was to find someone else who you can share mutual feelings of love with. Basically someone who would be by your side who would help you through the hard times and you reciprocate this toward them. I guess my view is that life is cold and meaningless and the only good thing about living is being able to find someone that makes life worthwhile but who knows. ill let you know when i find out.

greenlotus
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Lol - Never ask a whimsical rasta the meaning of life, unless you have time.

Ask not who will love you, but who needs your love.

Mountaindewzilla
01-04-2008, 01:34 AM
I also think that the meaning of life is a personal thing, not an arbitrary thing.

For me, the meaning of life is having a good time. I think that you can apply that simple idea to just about anything. Just having a good time.

Iambreathingin
01-06-2008, 11:18 PM
"The Tibetan book of living and dying, by Sogyal Rinpoche "

It changed my life.

bhouncy
02-20-2008, 03:33 PM
If we are really in a computer generated world then the meaning of life is to get the highest score.

boaz
02-21-2008, 01:15 AM
- 42 -

TheHourLateGang
02-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I believe that the meaning of life is to reach nirvana, to me this means the freedom from desire. When you have nothing else you can possibly want is when you find true happiness. I'm pretty high right now so i hope that makes sense.

beachguy in thongs
02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
The meaning of life is to think about it. Or, just plain think.

Acouwaila
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
i thinkimfeelin it is right on. To try to figure out the MEANING of life while you are just a PART of life totally contradicts itself....You are a part of this creation, you arent better or worse than anything in this universe, its all of the same source. Every thought, every word you say, everything you see, smell, touch, taste.....desires and personal reasoning for life just adds to the illusion that DIFFERENT people exist...were all of the same place....the only thing that makes anyone different is how they grew up and what they learned and thought along the way....its not about filling ur mind with ideas and theories, its not about the idea of learning, its about experience. Its seeing whats in front of you and walking through the world with true open eyes....what the fuck is really going on? At THIS moment in time, not later....If you keep searching for an answer the only place ull find one is right where your sitting right now while ur reading this....IT IS WHAT IT IS...everything....but to understand this means you should help others understand it, to create a more peaceful world....in a world where everyone helps everyone...and everyone fully appreciates the peace thats actually created...im just a fuckin hypocrit but im slowly starting to see things...maybe you can grasp something out of this paragraph.

"Christ im a sidewinder im a california kinnggggg, i swear its everywhere ohhh its everythinnnggggg"

- chili peppers....

oh and the quote in the sig explains the same concept as this paragraph too

DJ.VENGE.Kaspa2otree
02-27-2008, 08:12 AM
meaning of life is to involve everything lol sounds like evolve, thatllsend you burnin.

smokey91
02-28-2008, 04:42 AM
There is no meaning to this life...you are nothing but a being wandering semi aimlessly through this existence...get over the fact that there has to be a meaning for this life...live it NOW!
True. Most people are just beings aimlessly wandering thru existence. So the goal in life is to not just be a regular being. Do shit with your life. My personal goal is to get rich. This earth revolves around money so im going to get as much as i can.There isnt a point to working your whole life from paycheck to paycheck because your not even a molecule in time. So while your on this earth you better live it to the fullest and hopefully leave your mark in history.

socker1314
03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
I'm not here to contradict your beliefs as to whether God exists or not even though I have a crap load of faith. We are all given gifts and talents to use in this world to promote a better being. Life is to be enjoyed to the fullest, even though we all face trial and tribulation and "carry our cross" in different ways. As someone else said, life is a test. I believe we are tested with every decision we make day to day, and in the end whether we "pass" or not, we have the opportunity to be loved by a greater being that would do anything for us, even die on a cross for our sins. So my advice to living a good life, find your true passion and stick to it. This life is a gateway to the next beyond the grave, a life awaits us that is so much better than anything else on this earth, our minds cannot comprehend what it is like. So repent so that you may inherit this "kingdom" and to get a little taste of what heaven is like, smoke some weed!:jointsmile:

silkyblue
03-18-2008, 02:20 AM
So repent so that you may inherit this "kingdom

hold on dont get hasty Im in line for a giraffe or two we dont have the power to know the future we are not equipt to know

we're here to explore life and love and reproduce

netdog
05-04-2008, 01:23 AM
The only real meaning to or for life I can see is what you leave behind when your gone...

Kids, effects on others you meet along the way, your effect on the lives that follow yours..

All you can do is try to leave good effects in your wake, and have fun while your here.

79lostinspace79
11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
To live life to it's fullest man.