PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy Quotes

Reefer Rogue
08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
There's a lot of them, i'll start us off with a good one from Socrates:

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

Mr. Bubbles
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Bertrand Russell (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/002215.html): Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know.

Cicero (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/002221.html):
There is no statement so absurd that no philosopher will make it.

Freda Adler (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001669.html):
Stripped of ethical rationalizations and philosophical pretensions, a crime is anything that a group in power chooses to prohibit.

George Bernard Shaw (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001378.html):
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.

H. L. Mencken (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/002224.html): Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.

Immanuel Kant (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/002220.html):
Metaphysics is a dark ocean without shores or lighthouse, strewn with many a philosophic wreck.

Mark Twain (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001893.html):
All schools, all colleges, have two great functions: to confer, and to conceal, valuable knowledge. The theological knowledge which they conceal cannot justly be regarded as less valuable than that which they reveal. That is, when a man is buying a basket of strawberries it can profit him to know that the bottom half of it is rotten.

1908, notebook

rocktheganj
08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
nice.

i like this one, not cause its from yoda, but cause its pretty cool:

do or do not, there is no try -yoda

gravity420
08-31-2007, 08:50 AM
if ya smell something funky, its probably me, because I am THE SHIT!

Reefer Rogue
08-31-2007, 09:14 AM
To know oneself, one must assert oneself. - Albert Camus

afghooey
09-01-2007, 10:00 PM
"You are that vast thing that you see far, far off with great telescopes." -- Alan Watts

"Camus said there is only really one serious philosophical question, which is whether or not to commit suicide. I think there are four or five serious philosophical questions:
The first one is: Who started it?
The second is: Are we going to make it?
The third is: Where are we going to put it?
The fourth is: Who's going to clean up?
And the fifth: Is it serious?"
-- Alan Watts

"All that is transient is but a symbol." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Reefer Rogue
09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Man is what he believes - Anton Chekov

slipknotpsycho
09-06-2007, 08:59 PM
It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked.
BJ Palmer

To sit back and do nothing is to cooperate with the oppresser.
Jane Elliot

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what is right.
Isaac Asimov

Reefer Rogue
09-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Man freely believe that which they desire. - Ceasar

Coelho
09-07-2007, 01:44 AM
"Anything is one of a million paths. Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path; if you feel you should not follow it, you must not stay with it under any conditions. Any path is only a path and there is no affront, to oneself or to others, in dropping it if that is what your heart tells you to do. "

"All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you."

don Juan Matus - The Teachings of Don Juan

"What makes us unhappy is to want. Yet if we would learn to cut our wants to nothing, the smallest thing we'd get would be a true gift. To be poor or wanting is only a thought"

"The countless paths one traverses in one's life are all equal. Oppressors and oppressed meet at the end, and the only thing that prevails is that life was altogether too short for both."

"The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so. "

don Juan Matus - A Separate Reality

"If you have no personal history, no explanations are needed; nobody is angry or disillusioned with your acts. And above all no one pins you down with their thoughts. It is best to erase all personal history because that makes us free from the encumbering thoughts of other people. "

"Death is the only wise adviser that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you that you're wrong; that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your death will tell you, "I haven't touched you yet." "

"When a man decides to do something he must go all the way, but he must take responsibility for what he does. No matter what he does, he must know first why he is doing it, and then he must proceed with his actions without having doubts or remorse about them.
To assume the responsibility of one's decisions means that one is ready to die for them. It doesn't matter what the decision is. Nothing could be more or less serious than anything else. In a world where death is the hunter there are no small or big decisions. There are only decisions that we make in the face of our inevitable death."

"People tell us from the time we are born that the world is such and such and so and so, and naturally we have no choice but to see the world the way people have been telling us it is. "

don Juan Matus - Journey to Ixtlan

"Everything we do, everything we are, rests on our personal power. If we have enough of it, one word uttered to us might be sufficient to change the course of our lives. But if we don't have enough personal power, the most magnificent piece of wisdom can be revealed to us and that revelation won't make a damn bit of difference."

"Things are real only after one has learned to agree on their realness."

"Solace, haven, fear, all of them are moods that you have learned without ever questioning their value."

"Any thought that one holds in mind in a state of silence is properly a command, since there are no other thoughts to compete with it."

"(...)the real experience is to be a man, and that what counts is being alive; life is the little detour that we are taking now. Life in itself is sufficient, self-explanatory and complete. "

"There's no future. The future is only a way of talking. For a sorcerer there is only the here and now."

"When we think we decide, all we're doing is acknowledging that something beyond our understanding has set up the frame of our so-called decision, and all we do is to acquiesce."

don Juan Matus - Tales of Power

" When one has nothing to lose, one becomes courageous. We are timid only when there is something we can still cling to."

don Juan Matus - The Second Ring of Power

Yes... im a fan of Don Juan, as you may have noted... ;)

Reefer Rogue
09-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Do not believe hastily - Ovid

Staurm
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." Albert Einstein

Reefer Rogue
09-19-2007, 06:03 PM
'That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.'

John Stuart Mill, extacted from his Book 'On Liberty'

TryptamineScape
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

TryptamineScape
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Yes... im a fan of Don Juan, as you may have noted... ;)

Teach me more of this Don Juan...Where can I find more? I googled it, but didn't find what I was looking for exactly.

Coelho
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Well... Don Juan was an Iaqui indian shaman, who teached Carlos Castaneda, an anthropologist, his knowledge, during castaneda's researches about use of hallucinogenic plants in indian traditions.
The books of Castaneda are VERY good, if you can read any of them, read, cause they are simply awesome. Anyway, if you cant find any of them, there is a site where all the "teachings" were resumed, so you can learn them without reading the books.

Carlos Castaneda's don Juan's Teachings (http://www.prismagems.com/castaneda/)

Note: have some good weed while reading... cause it will help a LOT to understand it... :thumbsup::stoned:
And any questions... jusk ask!

geonagual
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Well... Don Juan was an Iaqui indian shaman, who teached Carlos Castaneda, an anthropologist, his knowledge, during castaneda's researches about use of hallucinogenic plants in indian traditions.
The books of Castaneda are VERY good, if you can read any of them, read, cause they are simply awesome. Anyway, if you cant find any of them, there is a site where all the "teachings" were resumed, so you can learn them without reading the books.

Carlos Castaneda's don Juan's Teachings (http://www.prismagems.com/castaneda/)

Note: have some good weed while reading... cause it will help a LOT to understand it... :thumbsup::stoned:
And any questions... jusk ask!

Castaneda's books is the best reading I have ever done in my life...

TryptamineScape
10-23-2007, 02:28 AM
how many books are there?

Reefer Rogue
10-23-2007, 08:08 AM
The end of all is death and man's life passeth away suddenly as a shadow.

- Thomas A Kempis

Coelho
10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
how many books are there?

A lot... between 9 and 12, im not sure...

TryptamineScape
10-23-2007, 09:16 PM
wow...I'll get to reading...thank you for opening me up to this new learning

4osiris
10-23-2007, 11:15 PM
There's a lot of them, i'll start us off with a good one from Socrates:

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

As above, so below. Thoth Hermegistus

psychocat
10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
"What makes us unhappy is to want. Yet if we would learn to cut our wants to nothing, the smallest thing we'd get would be a true gift. To be poor or wanting is only a thought"

This is very similar to Bhuuddist teachings :

By watching people Buddha found out that the causes of suffering are craving and desire, and ignorance. The power of these things to cause all suffering is what Buddhists call The Second Noble Truth.

To sit back and do nothing is to cooperate with the oppresser.
Jane Elliot

This reminds me of Da Vinci
He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.

And just to finish I will add my own slice of personal philosophy :
Insanity is the last refuge of the sane mind.

Coelho
10-24-2007, 12:41 AM
This is very similar to Bhuuddist teachings :

By watching people Buddha found out that the causes of suffering are craving and desire, and ignorance. The power of these things to cause all suffering is what Buddhists call The Second Noble Truth.

Indeed! In fact, many teachings of Don Juan are remarkably alike Buddhist teachings...
I think its reasonable, cause buddhists and shamans, through their techniques, reach a view of the world that is beyond the "illusion of the senses", they go "outside the Matrix", and so they can see the world as it actually is.

And just to finish I will add my own slice of personal philosophy :
Insanity is the last refuge of the sane mind.

Man... i can understand each word, each letter of this thought... and i agree completly! :stoned::jointsmile:

wow...I'll get to reading... thank you for opening me up to this new learning

Well... if you get all the books, you will note that the first 3 ones are not in cronological order... so, if you want read them in cronological order, i would suggest read:

1 - The part 1 (chapters 1-17) of Journey to Ixtlan (the 3rd book, and the best in my opinion)
2 - A Separate Reality (the 2nd book)
3 - The part 2 (chapters 18-20) of Journey to Ixtlan.
4 - Then the next books, in their own order: Tales of Power (the 4th), The Second Ring of Power (the 5th), etc...

The first book, The Teachings of Don Juan, happens (in cronological order) together with the chapters 8 to 17 of Journey to Ixtlan. So you can read it whenever you wish. This book is, for me, the less good of them all. So, i suggest you read it after the others.

And the last book, The Active Side of Infinity is different of them all, so it can be read after the 4th (Tales of Power). Its also a VERY good book.

Anyway, i suggest you to look the site i posted the link... so you can get a idea of what you will read in the books... and so, you will wish to read them more yet! :thumbsup:

qdavid
10-24-2007, 03:12 AM
People who live in glass houses shouldn't get stoned. -unknown

Reefer Rogue
10-24-2007, 08:10 AM
If you live in a glass house don't throw stones

If you can't take blows brother, don't throw blows. - Peter Tosh

He who neglects to drink of the spring of experiance is likely to die of thirst in the desert of ignorance. - Lin Po

yokinazu
12-26-2007, 04:53 PM
"be the change you wish to see in the world"
- ghandi
"three things cannot be hidden, the sun, the moon, and the truth"
- buddha
"at a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
- george orwell
"choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil"
- jerry garcia

Reefer Rogue
12-26-2007, 05:22 PM
"To be good is noble; but to show others how to be good is nobler and no trouble" - Mark Twain

"Goodness is easier to recognize than to define" W.H Auden

iniganja
12-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Ayn Rand on faith:

Do not say that you're afraid to trust your mind because you know so little. Are you safer in surrendering to mystics and discarding the little that you know? Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life. Redeem your mind from the hockshops of authority. Accept the fact that you are not omniscient, but playing a zombie will not give you omniscience??that your mind is fallible, but becoming mindless will not make you infallible??that an error made on your own is safer than ten truths accepted on faith, because the first leaves you the means to correct it, but the second destroys your capacity to distinguish truth from error.

Reefer Rogue
12-30-2007, 09:07 AM
A dream is a prophecy in miniature - Talmud

We are never present with, but always beyond ourselves; fear, desire, hope, still push us on toward the future. - Montaigne

Rose2Smoke
01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
:smokebong:

Reefer Rogue
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule. The liberty of man, in society, is to be under no other legislative power, but that established, by consent, in the commonwealth; nor under the dominion of any will, or restraint of the law, but what that legislative shall enact, according to the trust put in it. - John Locke

The only freedom which deserves the name is that of persuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. - J.S Mill

The fairest rules are those to which everyone would agree if they did not know how much power they would have.

Each person is to have an equal right to the most extensive total system of equal basic liberties compatible with a similar system for all. - John Rawls, A theory of justice

Whoever makes something having bought or contracted for all other held resources used in the progress...is entitled to it. The situation is not one of something's getting made, and there being an open question of who is to get it. Things come into the world already attatched to people having entitlements over them. - Robert Nozick

The government has no right to meddle in the care of men's souls. - Locke

Where there is no law there is no freedom. - Locke

All that makes existence valuable to any one depends on the enforcement of restraints upon the actions of other people. Some rules of conduct, therefore, must be imposed, by law in the first place, and by opinion on many things which are not fit subjects for the operation of law. - Mill

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton

asphodela
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
??You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.? -Friedrich Nietzsche

??Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.? -Democritus

Reefer Rogue
01-26-2008, 09:36 AM
'We are free to work or free to starve' - Marx

God does not exist and we must draw the consequences of his absense to the end. - Sartre

Only man can be the future of man. - Sartre

In fashioning myself I fashion man - Sartre

One will never be able to explain one's action by reference to a given and specific human nature; in other words, there is no determinism - man is free, man is freedom. - Sartre

Man cannot be sometimes slave and sometimes free; he is wholly and forever free or he is not free at all. - Sartre

We mean that man first of all exists... and defines himself afterwards... Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself. - Sartre

When the conscious mind imagines, it disengages itself from what is real to look for something that isn't there or doesn't exist. and it was this passage into the imaginary that helped me to understand what freedom is. - Sartre

Philosophers have interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it. - Marx

In communist society, where nobody has one exclusive sphere of activity but each can become accomplished in any branch he wishes, society regulates the general production and thus makes it possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, criticize after dinner. - Marx

The mode of production of material life conditions the general process of social, political and intellectual life. it is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness. - Marx

Let us review the various factors as seen in our supposition: My work would be a free manifestation of life, hence an enjoyment of ife. Presupposing private property, my work is an alienation of life, for I work in order to live, in order to obtain for myself the means of life. My work is not my life. - Marx

Maximus2007
01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Great quote

Tom

Reefer Rogue
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Everything that the modern mind cannot define it regards as insane - C.G Jung

FlyGuyOU
03-14-2008, 03:48 PM
...and we must consider that since-unfortunately-we are forced to live together, the most important thing for us to remember is that the only way in which we can have any law at all is to have as little of it as possible. I see no ethical standard to which to measure the whole unethical conception of a State, except in the amount of time, of thought, of money, or effort and of obedience, which a society extorts from its every member. Its value and its civilization are in inverse ratio to that extortion. There is no conceivable law by which a man can be forced to work on any terms except those he chooses to set. There is no conceivable law to prevent him from setting them-just as there is none to force his employer to accept them. The freedom to agree or disagree is the foundation of our kind of society...
~Ayn Rand

Herreic68
03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Do you ask what moral obligation I owe to my fellow men? None- except the obligation I owe to myself, to material objects and to all of existence: rationality. I deal with men as my nature and theirs demands: by means of reason. I seek or desire nothing from them except such relations as they care to enter of their own voluntary choice. It is only with their mind that I can deal and only for my own self-interest, when they see that my interest coincides with theirs. When they dont, I enter no relationship; I let dissenters go their way and I do not swerve from mine. I win by means of nothing but logic and I surrender to nothing but logic. I do not surrender my reason or deal with men who surrender theirs.

Ayn Rand "For the New Intellectual"

L Rag
06-18-2008, 02:06 AM
"When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself"
-Marley

Reefer Rogue
06-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Man is truly free among equally free men

Freedom can only be created by freedom, by a total rebellion of the people and by a voluntary organization of the people from the bottom up.

The urge to destroy is also a creative urge - M. Bakunin

Either the state forever, crushing individual and local life, taking over in fields of human activity, bringing with it its wars and its domestic struggles for power, its palace revolution which only replace one tyrany with another, and inevitably at the end of this development there is... death! OR the destruction of States, and a new life starting again in thousands of centres on the principle of the lively initiative of the individual and groups and that of free arangement. The choice lies with you! - P. Kropotkin

I am a fanatical lover of liberty considering it as the unique environment within which the intelligence, dignity and happiness of mankind can develop and increase. - Bakunin

The very fact that a person has a consciousness of self, of being different from others, creates a desire to act freely. The craving for liberty and self-expression is a very fundamental and dominant trait. - Emma Goldman

Prisons are the universities of crime - ?

For me, the chief principle of anarchism is not freedom but autonomy, the ability to initiate a task and do it one's own way... Autonomous people protect themselves stubbornly including plenty of passive resistance. - Paul Goodman

Society must be constructed to protect the sovereignty of the individual inviolate. - Josiah Warren

Everyone dies if only to justify life - Gentle Giant

Among the works of man which human life is rightly employed in perfecting and beautifying, the first in importance is surely man himself. - Mill

Human nature is not a machine to be built after a model, and set to do exactly the work prescribed for it, but a tree, which requires to grow and develop itself on all sides, according to the tendency of the inward forces which make it a living thing. - Mill

rebgirl420
06-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I like this because it really just confirms my theories on religion even more:

"I've gotten letters, but mostly from Bible-belt types who say, you must be Satan! They come right out and call me Satan and hope that I'm damned to hell.?

George A. Romero

Nightcrewman
06-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Mrs NCM was looking over my shoulder at this thread, as an acknowledged authority on Winnie the Pooh she asked for this quote to be put in.
Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
Winnie the Pooh 1926 -

budz4buddy
06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
here's one from he movie, called revenge of the nerds part 2, nerds in paradise.

"what if cat, is really spelled d.o.g.", said Ogre, while he was left stranded on a deserted Island with a half dozen arch-enemy nerds"

YouTube - Revenge of the Nerds 2 - Great Comeback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6jc5aZkws)

danish
07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Not realy sure who said it but i REALY love this one...

The day you wake up and have no questions what so ever is the day you dont wake up.

And this is a personal friend of mine who said it:

Can one purchase it then its not worth having.

TheMetal1
07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
"Nothing short of everything... is ever really enough."
-Aldous Huxley

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

These last 3 are great quotes from ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu and I feel they send a strong message to everyone that is trying to persuade the government, and general public, to reform their views on marijuana laws.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

"Respond intelligently... even to unintelligent treatment."

and the best one

"To see things in the seed... that is genius."

Great quotes everyone! :thumbsup:

Stay :D and Keep :jointsmile:

Reefer Rogue
04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Olong Johnson.. lol jk

This is def 1 of my fav threads ever, i can't remember writing these quotes but im glad i can come back and read them and remember them.

The Chillosopher signing out :stoned:

DropDeadFred
04-24-2012, 03:07 AM
All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking. Friedrich Nietzsche
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.