PDA

View Full Version : my angry tarantula

halfassedjediknight
08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
just thought id post a pic of my pissed off zebra leg (costa rican zebra, "aphonopelma seemani")

In the first shot hes crawling up to the camera, the second pic he got pissed at it and started to display his fangs at me. the third and fourth are just him cruisin around, and the last is his home.

halfassedjediknight
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Heres my mexican redknee ("brachypelma smithi"). His name is agent smithi (after agent smith from the matrix, haha!) Hes still a young one and is an endangered species, so when he gets older hes gonna be worth some buko dinero. hes my favorite.

First two shots, hes just cruisin his pad. Third shot hes hanging out in his room (half coconut shell) and the others are just his little enclosure.

halfassedjediknight
08-21-2007, 08:03 PM
..and last but certainly not least, my native California Ebony (scientific name unknown, some sort of "aphonopelma" species). Hes a jerk, hes mean and fast, anything and everything bugs him. If I open his enclosure, he charges at the opening trying to escape. I think that if arachnids or any other bugs feel captive, hes really angry and wants his freedom.

First two shots are just him goin to his water bowl for a drink, and the last is just his little home. He burrows everywhere, its like swiss cheese dirt in there. Hes a sneaky one, like the nva in vietnam. I think ill name him something Japanese, maybe kamikaze or something.

orangeman
08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Why does it get pissed off when you take pics xD.

halfassedjediknight
08-21-2007, 11:21 PM
who knows? i wish i did, im a bio major and zoology minor, but im still no dr. doolittle.

I intruded on its 'turf', it responded with the all too well known 'fight or flight' instinct, obviously not choosing the latter.

tarantulas are sensitive to everything.

the joint meister
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
why the fuck would you want one of those? can you even play with them? can't they kill you?

peace out TjM

xcrispi
08-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Sweet Spiders ,
Used to hang w/ a girl that had a "Giant Bird Eating Tarantula " as big as a dinner plate , I shit you not . If it was out cruisin and didn't wanna be put back in it's cage it could jump from the floor to the ceiling from a stand still and run like hell .
Peace
Crispi :jointsmile:

orangeman
08-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Sweet Spiders ,
Used to hang w/ a girl that had a "Giant Bird Eating Tarantula " as big as a dinner plate , I shit you not . If it was out cruisin and didn't wanna be put back in it's cage it could jump from the floor to the ceiling from a stand still and run like hell .
Peace

Lol omg, thats insane. They are interesting but soooo freggin creepy. I'd be scared to even own one lol.

halfassedjediknight
08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
why the fuck would you want one of those? can you even play with them? can't they kill you?

peace out TjM

dont be so, pardon my language, but damned ignorant. why would i want one? im a biology major and zoology minor..i study animals you fool. besides, its a hobby. you think im the only person who collects tarantulas?

ps, play with them? theyre tarantulas, not puppies.

pss, they can maybe kill you if youre highly allergic to their venom, but the tarantulas i have are not old world, they are new world...therefore, their venom is weak and they have other ways to defend themselves. they have 'urticating bristles' that they kick at you. imagine a cloud of spiney hairs flying at your eyes, you can be blinded.

cant they kill you hahahha how funny you must be afraid of bee's huh

halfassedjediknight
08-22-2007, 05:54 PM
That first spider is really really cool as well as the other two. How much do one of those go for?

well it all depends on what species, age, sex, etc.

the first one was cheap, maybe like 40 bucks, but its a beautiful spider. its all blue with black on top and striped legs.

the second is way young, so it only cost about 20 dollars, but since they are endangered, when it matures it will be worth roughly 300-450 dollars. its the same spiders they used in indiana jones when hes in the cave and their all on his back. theyre very easy going. you can hold them without worrying if you dont startle them.

the other one i caught myself. its native to where i live. its an asshole too haha. its a jerk.

halfassedjediknight
08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Sweet Spiders ,
Peace

yeah the actual common name is 'goliath bird eater'. i think the scientific name is L. Parhybana, but I could be mistaken. they can grow anywhere from 12-15" in length ranging from fron leg to back leg.

about the jumping part, tarantulas cant jump. their abdomen would burst and they would die, and they know this . their hefty abdomen and thorax or whatever is too heavy for its legs to lift it into the air. even if they could, they would die on impact. no tarantula can jump, save the species A. Aviculara, which is called a pinktoe i believe. theyre arboreal, therefore dont live in the ground. they build webs high in the air and sometimes jump for prey, but only because their web will break their fall.

LuckyG
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
yeah the actual common name is 'goliath bird eater'. i think the scientific name is L. Parhybana, but I could be mistaken. they can grow anywhere from 12-15" in length ranging from fron leg to back leg.

about the jumping part, tarantulas cant jump. their abdomen would burst and they would die, and they know this . their hefty abdomen and thorax or whatever is too heavy for its legs to lift it into the air. even if they could, they would die on impact. no tarantula can jump, save the species A. Aviculara, which is called a pinktoe i believe. theyre arboreal, therefore dont live in the ground. they build webs high in the air and sometimes jump for prey, but only because their web will break their fall.

Too bad, that was a pretty cool story. I wanted a crazy Spider-Man tarantula too. Well, actually I just wanted to see one do that, I'd be terrified if I owned one of those and it got out.

xcrispi
08-25-2007, 10:21 AM
[quote=halfassedjediknight]yeah the actual common name is 'goliath bird eater'. i think the scientific name is L. Parhybana, but I could be mistaken. they can grow anywhere from 12-15" in length ranging from fron leg to back leg.

about the jumping part, tarantulas cant jump. their abdomen would burst and they would die.

You would prob. know better than myself ? She claimed it'd hang out in trees like your sayin in the wild and jump and snag birds outa mid air ? She had pics of it since it was a baby and lived in a lil brown medicine bottle . It was as big as a 10 in paper plate . How old / how long do you think it took to get that big man ?

Peace bro.

the joint meister
08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
dont be so, pardon my language, but damned ignorant. why would i want one? im a biology major and zoology minor..i study animals you fool. besides, its a hobby. you think im the only person who collects tarantulas?

ps, play with them? theyre tarantulas, not puppies.

pss, they can maybe kill you if youre highly allergic to their venom, but the tarantulas i have are not old world, they are new world...therefore, their venom is weak and they have other ways to defend themselves. they have 'urticating bristles' that they kick at you. imagine a cloud of spiney hairs flying at your eyes, you can be blinded.

cant they kill you hahahha how funny you must be afraid of bee's huh

come on man theres no need to fucking flame me like that, i am no fool i am just not an expert on spiders, i asked you a question and i got called and "fool" and a "damn ignorant" one at that, i wasint being an asshole to you why you gotta be one to me ay?

and no i am not afraid of fucking bee's

peace out TjM

halfassedjediknight
08-28-2007, 02:52 AM
come on man theres no need to fucking flame me like that, i am no fool i am just not an expert on spiders, i asked you a question and i got called and "fool" and a "damn ignorant" one at that, i wasint being an asshole to you why you gotta be one to me ay?

and no i am not afraid of fucking bee's

peace out TjM

dude look at your question, it wasnt all that great a question to begin with, so i answered exactly as i was questioned.

ps im not an expert on spiders either

oh but they cant kill you unless youre real allergic to their venom, which you probably arent.

halfassedjediknight
08-28-2007, 02:54 AM
[quote=halfassedjediknight]yeah the actual common name is 'goliath bird eater'. i think the scientific name is L. Parhybana, but I could be mistaken. they can grow anywhere from 12-15" in length ranging from fron leg to back leg.

about the jumping part, tarantulas cant jump. their abdomen would burst and they would die.

You would prob. know better than myself ? She claimed it'd hang out in trees like your sayin in the wild and jump and snag birds outa mid air ? She had pics of it since it was a baby and lived in a lil brown medicine bottle . It was as big as a 10 in paper plate . How old / how long do you think it took to get that big man ?

Peace bro.

Well, its possible im sure, but from what ive read its unlikely. People say that their avic avics jump and snag crickets. theyre arboreal so they make webs up high and catch bugs that fly and stuff.

ill look into it and find a proper answer for you.

I found this on the web..

"As hunters, tarantulas can be fearsome predators. Tarantulas don't have any special techniques, such as building intricate webs, or leaping great distances, for hunting their prey. They use good, old-fashioned stealth and strength, very much like wild cats. They sneak up on their prey and pounce on the unsuspecting victim, inflicting a fatal bite with venomous fangs"

oh also they probably take a while to get that big. tarantulas molt and grow slow. i dont know though.

texas grass
09-27-2007, 09:49 PM
those are awesome tarantulas, especially the second one

i heard that females live longer than males and are way more valuable to sell. have you heard anything like that halfassed?

savagepossum
09-27-2007, 10:10 PM
those spiders must have a pretty depressing life locked in a small box being gawked at by slak jawed yokels for the whole of there life

NinjaToke
12-24-2007, 09:35 PM
ive had a few tarantulas... i lost 2 b.smithi slings and 2 P.cancerides slings over last winter =( i was out of town and forgot to call my bro to turn on the heater because of a cold front =((((.... anyways i lost this c.cyclosternum(i forgot how to spell) in a breeding loan... so now all i have is 3 rosies... 1 mature male 1 sling and 1 female red phase rosie.

enjoy! (i dont think i have enough posts to post pics so ill just give links to my photobucket)

Female Red Phase rosie (http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/Bigbry4n/Tarantulas/?action=view&current=dementia.jpg)

Tigerrump Male (http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/Bigbry4n/Tarantulas/?action=view&current=Tigerump.jpg)

Rosie Sling unsexed (http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/Bigbry4n/Tarantulas/?action=view&current=Mindy.jpg)

P.cancerides molting (http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/Bigbry4n/Tarantulas/?action=view&current=TakeshiMaruyamasan.jpg)

so yeah turns out i lost alot of my pics thats all i have i plan to get some more after the winter

NinjaToke
12-24-2007, 09:36 PM
jedi knight i love your b.smithi i wish mine could have got that big but i was careless and lost them D=.... what kind of substrate is it on?

Funkmaster H.O.H.N.
02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Those are some cool looking spiders, I wouldn't want to live with them though.