PDA

View Full Version : bees- simple question

cavmanfotwent
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
ive been looking all over google to find out what time of the day bees are most active and less active. suprisingly i really cant find any answers haha. so does anybody know?

RetiredFF
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Bees won't leave their hive until the ambient air temperature is over 55 degress.

cavmanfotwent
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
its been like 80's all day

stripedseed
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Don't know if this will help or not, but is what I found.

We followed the daily and seasonal foraging patterns of the solitary bee Proxylocopa olivieri during two springs and summers in Har Gilo, Israel. During the foraging season, the bees exhibited a clear bimodal daily activity pattern. They foraged mostly before sunrise and after sunset. We hypothesized that this activity schedule entails foraging benefits. We found that snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus L.) was a major source of nectar for P. olivieri. Nectar production rates in snapdragon were significantly higher during the morning activity period of P. olivieri than during mid-day. Bees of numerous other species foraged on snapdragon, but their activity periods hardly overlapped with P. olivieri. Foraging activity in P. olivieri was highest at a combination of high (25â??35°C) temperatures and low (1â??100 Lux) illumination levels. We suggest that P. olivieri benefits from foraging at dawn and dusk on snapdragon, and possibly additional food plants, because of exploitation of the large amounts of nectar produced. A nectar enrichment experiment revealed that P. olivieri does not cease foraging because of lack of available nectar. We suggest that the P. olivieriâ??s ability to fly at low light levels enables it to dominate a unique foraging niche.

Stripedseed

Jderringer
08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't know about bees, cause they aren't much of a problem around here, but I do know about yellow jacket wasps (really bad problem in my area, and I'm VERY allergic). During this time of the year, they are most active from 9am - 8pm, and are most aggressive from 3pm-8pm, mainly because they change their diet end of summer/beginning of fall. Now they are eating more rotten fruit. Rotten fruit contains alcohol, and towards the end of the day they are drunk, confused and mean.

420MissHighTimes420
08-22-2007, 04:51 PM
:wtf:

Jadian21
08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Personal experience tells me right before sundown.

Then again, that's usually when I play frisbee golf and I'm baked enough to notice all the damn bee's.

O' Cannabis
08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Where I work we have to spray bees nests all the time and we aren't allowed to do it until the sun goes down cause that's when they all return to the hive so u can kill them all. Don't know if this helps.

Jadian21
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Well if you put that together with my observations that bees are nastiest right before sundown it makes perfect sense. It's as if they're all on their way home before sundown, hitting rush-hour bee traffic when all of a sudden here comes a big fucking road block, so they get some bee road rage and suicide sting the guy in the way. :D

smoke it
08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
you must wait untill the sun goes down to spray the nest because this is the time when they all return to their nest. im actually getting rid of one in my yard tonight.

partyguy420
08-22-2007, 08:50 PM
i was told by a somewhat wise uncle of mine, that you shouldnt spray a wasp or bees nest/hive until the air starts cooling down, because they go into a sort of like a hibernation state of mind, so they are slower, and not as active in cooler weather....

ChronicJoint
08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
sun, im going to give thou the talki of the birds and the bees.

when a going in a woman and a man love easc othoer verymuch they do a specil kinda of hug. and 9 months later ababy is born.

rdit: im seriusly fuched , dont worry for misslepinga.