PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Works of General Non-Fiction

Tea Party
08-12-2007, 10:00 PM
The Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe, The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science, by Michael S. Schneider, a high school math teacher (though it is written for adults, smart teens will enjoy it as well).
This is a great science book for layperson to expert, and anybody interested in Astronomy, Mathematics, Art, Music, Religion...or Pot.
Each chapter is dedicated to one number from 1-10. It is full of interesting diagrams, quotes, illustrations...oh, and words! It is especially good for growers. Chapter five deals with the number five and plant growth and structure, the golden mean/ratio, etc.
Even if you hate science, you will enjoy this book. It is the opposite of dry, though calling it wet doesn't seem to make much sense. If you believe that the universe has no order, read this book.
The Universe may be a Mystery, but it's no Secret! (http://www.constructingtheuniverse.com/)

suhl
08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
universe in a nutshell by steven hawking.

stinkyattic
08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
John McPhee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McPhee)
John McPhee is a FABULOUS author whose writing style makes so many topics gripping. The Geology book 'basin and range' is fantastic. The John McPhee Reader, a collection of excerpts, is a GREAT place to begin if you want to get a sense for the author.

Another one I love is a book called Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World- it's cod-centrism! It's funny! It's tragic! It explains the colonization of North America, among other subjects, entirely through its relation to the salt-cod industry. And there's another one, Salt, that is its later companion.

MadSativa
08-14-2007, 09:01 PM
any Richard Marcinko book I recomend "Red Cell"

Coelho
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Carlos Castaneda's books:
(my suggested reading order)

Journey to Ixtlan
A Separate Reality
Tales of Power
The Active Side of Infinity

They are source of a great knowledge and wisdom.

sonic titan
08-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Evolution of Conciousness: Robert Ornstein
Your Brain Is God: Timothy Leary

Matt the Funk
08-26-2007, 10:39 PM
universe in a nutshell by steven hawking.Good one. And props if you can understand it.

all ablaze
08-29-2007, 12:42 PM
The rise and fall of the third reich: William l. shirer
It's a big bugger.

Iguana
08-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Lost From The Ottawa - The Story Of The Journay Back, A Memoir by Pun Plamondon

The story of the former White Panther, fugitive, activist, and FBI Ten Most Wanted listee.

Iguana
08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Lost From The Ottawa - The Story Of The Journey Back, A Memoir by Pun Plamondon

The story of the former White Panther, fugitive, activist, and FBI Ten Most Wanted listee.

TX Girl
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
The Year of Living Biblically : One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by AJ Jacobs

Secular guy tries to closely follow the Bible. Great quick read, pretty funny, & at times sweet and surprising.

mikeyjo
11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
by Edward Tenner

sonic titan
11-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Black Holes & Time Warps - Kip S. Thorne
Im reading it now and it's very enjoyable!

erock0609
11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming - Stephen Laberge:thumbsup:

ABHT is not an easy read but is mind blowing. EtWoLD is one of my fav books of all time. After the movie Waking Life I tried to learn as much as possible about the art. Out of all the books out there this was the only one that really got me somewhere. If you have any interest in the subject you must get it. $4 used on Amazon!!

e

Aliigetshyphy
12-11-2007, 03:06 AM
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming - Stephen Laberge:thumbsup:

ABHT is not an easy read but is mind blowing. EtWoLD is one of my fav books of all time. After the movie Waking Life I tried to learn as much as possible about the art. Out of all the books out there this was the only one that really got me somewhere. If you have any interest in the subject you must get it. $4 used on Amazon!!

e

Waking Life is an amazing movie!

KushyKelsey
11-25-2009, 01:00 AM
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. It's about Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters and their journey across the country and the Grateful Dead and all sorts of 60s counterculture icons. I guess it's being turned into a movie next year but who knows how that will turn out.

and if you are a Doors fan No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Sugerman is phenomenal. I'm not big on biographies but that one is fantastic.

elduderin0
02-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson. A good insight into how and why the country was formed. Should be required reading for those who misinterpret history and use it to protest the application of basic human rights.