PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite author? Book or Series?

Melkane
08-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Jump starting the new book forum with a few topics of discusion.

I myself pretty much have only got into Fantasy books and some Science Fiction here and there.

My favorite Author is a man named Piers Anthony, most of his books are aimed at teens and I've been reading his stuff since I was about 14. In one year I read about 70 of his books, i was a reading monster back then. He is probably most known for his Xanth series. Which is a comical fantasy world based around puns. Though I get into a bit more of his serious stuff. My favorite series of his are

The Incarnations of Immortality series which takes things like Death, War, Fate, Time and not only portrays them as living beings, but as positions/jobs with unique powers and abilities.

Mode Series - This series really jumps into the idea of alternate reality theory and long before the show Sliders even, this really makes your imagination come alive.

He has got so many different stories and great series under his belt I could talk about his works for a very long time.

how about you?

rebgirl420
08-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Anne Rice!

Tea Party
08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Gabriel Garcia Marquez is one of my favorites. One Hundred Years of Solitude is his best known and is one of the small handful of books that I have read more than once. The genre is Magical Realism (historical fiction). The story follows the lives of one family through the generations and their dealings in a fictional South American town through wars, births, deaths, and encounters with gypsies, love, insanity, and the invention of ice. There is even a young woman who enjoys eating dirt (Love in The Time of Cholera is another of his, and a great love story).

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hundred_Years_of_Solitude)

mecha0man
08-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Phillip K Dick

jamstigator
08-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Larry Niven

wholapola
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child
Dan Simmons
Clive Barker
Stephen King

Hilder420
08-22-2007, 07:02 AM
my favorite authors are Orson Scott Card. The Alvin Maker series, I've read each book over and over it never gets old. also enchantment, and majic street are good. hes got mostly sci-fi but i prefer his fantasy work. another favorite is Amelia Atwater-Rhodes who wrote alot of tennage fiction. Francesca Lia Block, Anaïs Nin her Delta of Venus is awesome!! Elie Weisel, the Holocaust survivor, great books, but my fave in that genre is "The Last Jew in Wegrow". chilling tale. ooh also Patricia McPhillip esp her Riddle- Master Trilogy. Liz Berry's The China Garden. two books i read i cant remeber the authors, one was "The Red Tent" abt Leah and Jacob's story, told by Leah's POV. Harem was a very good book, dont remember the author. If ur ever in the mood for an easy read try Emma Gold's "Easy". very funny with a sprinkling of stoner humor and her quest for finding a guy with a big penis, and a stash. :jointsmile: -Hilder

L Rag
08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys, American Gods, all them are insanely imaginative and just so broad and well written..Amazing..
And Terry Pratchett - that guy is a crack up! All the discworld books.. Awesome

Hilder420
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
a friend of mine just got some neil gaiman books. im waiting for her finish so i can get my paws on em. we went to see stardus the movie it was cool so ima go get the book it should be spectacular.

L Rag
08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah bro they're primo aye... I haven't read/seen stardust, but I was thinking about if people made movies of his books, and I reckon a movie could never do it justice... There's so much in there thats like, physically impossible to put in a movie, so much stuff that only works in your imagination.. :D

Foskers
08-23-2007, 08:18 AM
J.K. Rowling. You guys can knock me all you want for liking Harry Potter...but JK is a DAMN good writer. Props to RebGirl for Anne Rice...
Dean Koontz
Timothy Zahn (Star wars)
Christopher Poalini (Eragon series)
The old RL Stine stuff...I couldn't get enough of some of the old Goosebumps...ahh the good ole' days as a kid...

L Rag
08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah bro, thank JK Rowling for bringing us Hermione/Emma Watson.. :D

Coelho
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah bro, thank JK Rowling for bringing us Hermione/Emma Watson.. :D

Indeed! :4:

Currently, my favourite author is Carlos Castaneda.

Dr. Bloor
08-23-2007, 09:14 PM
W.E.B. Griffin
John Steinbeck
Hunter Thompson

Hilder420
08-24-2007, 04:07 AM
no knocking JK Rowling ive read all the harry potter series. theyre some of my faves. i finished reading the last book and i liked it so much, im reading it again just for fun. if she ever comes out with anything new ill prob read it.

L Rag
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah gG straight up! But sole, got a mad idea. I read it real quickly so I was like FUCK I wanna read it again. But ima wait for like a year or something so i dont remember heaps of it then itll be like reading it 4 tha first time again! YEEEYAH

nschell_420
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Now I'm not religious or anything,quite the opposite but I really enjoyed the Left Behind series which is a series about the rapture and the shit that happens after.

all ablaze
08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Chuck palahniuk
Sven hassel
George orwell

Divadish
09-05-2007, 09:03 AM
At the moment , Alan Bennett : Untold stories and History boys, Jung Chang : Wild Swans

sonic titan
09-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Hunter S. Thompson
Irvine Welsh
Jack Kerouac

L Rag
09-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Hunter S. Thompson

Haha, have you read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Wack..

Mohksha
09-20-2007, 04:52 AM
Alastair Reynolds is pretty damn awesome. He writes hard, dark science fiction and space opera. He's really good if you like cutting-edge technology. He used to work for NASA so he knows what he's talking about too. He only puts in technology that he actually thinks is reasonable in the future unless he needs it for plot.

wholapola
09-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Just finished "The Wheel Of Darkness" (Preston/Child) **DAMN** Good read!!!

riddlerxan
09-22-2007, 03:14 PM
i like paranormal stuff steven king books fantasy.

atomictown
09-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Favorite book, I'm gonna have to say 1984.
Favorite series, I'm really getting into the Foundation series by Issac Asimov.

im_a_luckycharm
09-25-2007, 02:17 PM
My favorite author and series is Libba Bray and her trilogy that starts with A Great and Terrible Beauty. They're a fantastic mix of magic and historical fiction. I can't wait for the next one!

geonagual
09-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Indeed! :4:

Currently, my favourite author is Carlos Castaneda.

HAHA! How come I knew you were going to say that. I am also a huge Castaneda fan..been my favorite for about 20 years

WaZ
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Too many...

Maybe, maybe, Greg Bear as favorite author.

akimbo1013
12-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Favorite book, I'm gonna have to say 1984.
Favorite series, I'm really getting into the Foundation series by Issac Asimov.

Yeah 1984 is incredible. What a complete and total mindfuck

Frickr
12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
one of my favorite series is from Dean Koontz and Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, and Brother Odd. you have to love a book where the guy lives with Elvis!

bhouncy
02-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Clive Barker
Irvine Welsh
Douglas Adams
Frank Herbert

kuyutha
02-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Max Brooks

zombies, need I say more?

bluebird
03-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Favorite Series: The Belgariad by David Eddings

slantedcorners
04-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I love Bret Easton Ellis (nihilist, dark, and makes you hate all the characters) and Haruki Murakami (existentialist, magical realism, and trippy in a way).

I like when books get me riled up and it makes me hate the characters...although all I've been reading as of late is band books/autobios (Slash, Anthony Kiedis from RHCP, Led Zep...and to read is Kurt Cobain, Nikki Sixx, and Lemmy)

Esoteric416
04-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Ok let me think.
Stephen King
Chuck Palahniuk
Terry Goodkind
Carlos Casteneda
Michael Talbot
And of course last but far from least (check my sig) :D

emilya
12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Ayn Rand's books and philosophy changed my life in a very profound way. I highly recommend her books and her studies to any reader of good novels, philosophical thinkers and political scientists. To read and understand her main 3 books will definitely change how you view and think of this world and your place in it. This to me, is the meaning of an influential work of writing.

I dare you to read:
Anthem
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead

If you do, your outlook on life will change. Guaranteed.

gypski
12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Herman Hesse Siddartha, Magister Ludi, Beneath the Wheel, Steppenwolf. :thumbsup:

Hermann Hesse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Hesse)

wholapola
10-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Finished FLASHBACK by Dan Simmons, very good read. On a side note, I hear Stephen Kings' "The Dark Tower " is currently being shot. It is being directed by Ron Howard. Not sure when release date is set for. Hope it comes pretty close to the book series...we'll see.

emilya
10-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Since there are parts of the Dark Tower story in every story SK ever wrote, that is going to be a tall task indeed, even for Mr. Howard. The story becomes not just one of Roland of Gilliad, but also one of us as the readers of the story and Stephen King himself as he writes himself in as a part of the story at one point. There is no way a movie, even in 3 or 4 hours is going to match the excitement found in having to go back and re-read Carrie, Salems Lot, The Stand, Pet Cemetery, The Shining and so many others, just to find the clues that had been imbedded years before by the great story teller Stephen King, already planning and creating his epic story of the Gunslinger. Many think Stephen King to be a hack, but when you look at this Dark Tower series and see all the interconnecting links between even his short stories over the years and discover parts of the Dark Tower series in every one of them, you will come to realize the genius that is Stephen King. Spend a year or two getting to know him; it will be well worth your time.

prettygirlsmokes420
11-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Love Agatha Christi. And The There Were None. Don't know if I spelled that right because its been awhile. I was given that book on my thirteenth birthday. I had to read it twice at first but I loved reading about the murder and mystery on the island. I deff. Reccommend it for those who love a good mystery. :thumbsup:

painretreat
11-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Richard Bach. Jonathan Livingston Seagull (http://lib.ru/RBACH/seagullengl.txt) Richard Bach. Jonathan Livingston Seagull (http://lib.ru/RBACH/seagullengl.txt) - 53k -

wholapola
12-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Just started 'Under The Dome' by Stephen King, it's a good one thats hard to put down once you start it.

kayakush
12-13-2011, 02:05 AM
my favorite author is ernest hemmingway. he is so easy to read and so deep. i love the old man and the sea. i also love j.r.r tolkien. the catcher in the rye is also a favorite.

Nightcrewman
12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Terry Pratchett, Discworld series, sheer genius.

jiggsaw
12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Twilight, it's all great an junk . Like it's pretty sweet the vampires and werewolves are all like yayah and junk. The books are like the best books evar writtan an they are like super long an junk. If I was a werewolf I'd have sex with women too. It took me seven years to finish, ya it's a super long book. It's also wrriten very well , like that woman is the best author evar. yayah.

urika
02-08-2012, 02:55 AM
i have read the best seller Match me if you can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips . It's worth reading .

wholapola
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Under the dome-Stephen King
Flashback-Dan Simmons

Its a Plant
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
One of my favorite series is George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice & Fire." The shitty Game of Thrones HBO series simply cannot do this epic tale justice, so if you are slightly intrigued by the show, I urge you to pick up the books. Martin's attention to every detail in his fantasy world will leave you wanting more, and this is coming from someone who doesn't read fantasy.

Another one I recommend is the late William Gay's "Twilight." Same name, much different content. This guy got started late in life, and sadly just passed away last week, but his work lives on. Some really compelling and darkly honest stuff! ~