PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings have your read them?

Melkane
08-12-2007, 06:33 AM
LotR has been a part of my life for many many years, when I was a child it was the cartoon movies, here as an adult it's been Peter Jacksons masterpieces. But until the past few years, I've never actually read the books, until now. I have thanks to my mother (works at book warehouse) an extensive collection of the books about Middle Earth, I've read the Hobbit about a year ago and now I'm deep within the Lord of the Rings. After I'm done I plan to tackle the Silmarillion and go from there into the other tales. It's just such a fantastic and deep tale with so much painstaking history and rich lore it could literally be an alternate universe. It's simply amazing what Tolkien did .

Blitzed
08-12-2007, 05:18 PM
I read the hobbit, but could never really get into the the other parts of the series. A books really gotta grab me by the balls within atleast the first couple chapters for me to finish it.

halfassedjediknight
08-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I read lord of the rings, the whole thing, senior year in high school.

im still in college, but when i was a freshman i read other things. i remember reading the silmarillion. so intricate and detailed, its almost hard to read but so good.

oh ps i read the hobbit in 5th grade hahahha

Matt the Funk
08-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Read only the hobbit.

Coelho
08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Well... most of the english i speak today i learned reading LotR... my cousin gave me a version of it in english, and i had to struggle to understand it... at the first chapters, i would read with the dictionary on my lap, searching lots and lots of words... at the end, i was reading far better...
Anyway i did read the LotR, several times, the Hobbit, started the Silmarillion but never finished it, as my interests went to another things.

420_24/7
08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
i read the hobbit and lotr, i read the silmarillion but i dont remember it much. I didn't like it that much tho

WaZ
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Read it all. I personally didn't find the movies terribly awesome...

rebgirl420
10-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I chose: I'm a big fan I've read the common stuff and even some of his less talked about works.

My dad bought me The Hobbit when I was 7, it was one of his favorites, and I was hooked right away.

Ive read the series and seen the movies. I even have these cool detailed maps of middle earth, the elf language and number systems, and all kinds of cool stuff.

Im a nerd.

SmokenGuitar
10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
You are not a nerd for reading those books and having the various pieces of middle earth art . If anything it shows that you have a very imaginative mind . I have also read the series and I personally think that it beats the movies by a wide margin . When I was a youth they had Middle earth movies and shows that would appear from time to time in illustrative form . To this day , I think that the illustrative form of the books is a way better method of showing the Classic tale than ANY human actor ever could be . Dont get me wrong I liked the movies as well , but they are no where to close to the original graphic novels .

Tolkien is the greatest author of our Modern era . He ranks right up with or above Mark Twain . He is the Jimi Hendrix of the writing world ..... In my mind anyways

The silmarrillian is a difficult book to read . I have read it but it was a hard book to comprehend compared to the other works

Gandalf_The_Grey
10-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Read it? I starred in it! I was great, wasn't I?:D

Anyway, I've read The Hobbit twice, The LOTR once and I'm in the middle of The Fellowship a second time (somehow it's more enjoyable this time around).
I also have a detailed map of middle earth I bought at the bookstore some years ago, and love it (it actually really enhances the reading when you can take a look at where the characters are on the map).
I own the Silmarilian which I plan to tackle eventually... but, as is I'm reading The Dragon Reborn in Rober Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series and there's still 9 books to go after this one. What can I say, I'm enthrawled... and really, how many times can I read an adventure that I already took part in first hand? :jointsmile:

dragonrider
10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
I've loved these books all my life. I read The Hobbit when I was in late elementary school and read the LOTR trilogy in junior high. At that age, I mostly liked the action and fantasy. Over the years, when I would get bored, I would read the Hobbit again bacause it is so easy and fast, and it is a good entertaining story.

Before the movies came out, I decided I would have to read the whole series again, and I really enjoyed them again, even though I'm a lot older now and don't read as much fantasy. This time I understood a lot more about the sorrow of the story, with the magic going out of the world and the end of an age. The sacrifice. It is a great story on many levels.

One thing about the books that I would say is a little disappointing now is the actual writing style. The story and plot are great, the mythological elements are great, the world the books create is very complete and satisfying with history and languages and peoples and it's own kind of magic, and the scene description is great. But the dialog is not that good, and some of the pacing is kind of old fashioned. And I think the actual structure of how the LOTR trilogy is organized is awkward. It's the writing style that prevented me from ever getting into the Silmarilion, even though I would have liked to know the history better.

I thought the LOTR movies were really well done, and I bought the extended edition DVD set, which really expands the already long movies with a lot of great material. It's long, but it feels more complete than the theater version. I think the movies cleaned up some of the problems that I didn't like in the books --- it has better dialog and better organization and pacing.

A lot of other fantasy I find to be kind of unsatisfying compared to LOTR. Nothing else I have read has ever come close to creating such a complete world, and nothing else has matched the meaning.

But one series of fantasy books that I am really enjoying now is the Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin. It's great! The world he creates is really interesting. The magic is not so much in your face the way it is with so many other fantasy books --- it's more in the background and usually kind of sinister and mysterious. It has more of the feel of a historical novel about war and politics in medieval times, with different noble famlies fighting it out, but it is an imaginary world and there are some magical elements. The characters are more complex than in LOTR, with everyone having both good and bad aspects and complex motivations. It's also a lot more graphic than LOTR, with murder, rape, torture and all kinds of other more adult-themes stuff. It's very different from LOTR, but I highly recommend it.

TPB_Bubbles
10-31-2007, 10:15 PM
I've been reading the Hobbit and LOTR for ages...since I was like 8 or something.

suhl
10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
song of ice and fire is the shit. some of my favorite books. ill go agead and say i like it better than lord of the rings, which i have also read. problem is the last book wasnt good, and only had half the characters, then martin said that was because it was one bo0ok split in two, and here we are two fucking years later and he hasnt released the second part, which he claimed to be done with back then. we want the imp. thomas covenant the unbeliever was some badass fantasy more in the tradition of lord of the rings. yeah i know what you mean about sorting through al the crap fantasy tool.

and reading fantasy may not make you a nerd, but believe me it doesnt do you any favors in getting laid id just not hide it but not show it off either.

dragonrider
10-31-2007, 11:29 PM
song of ice and fire is the shit. some of my favorite books. ill go agead and say i like it better than lord of the rings, which i have also read. problem is the last book wasnt good, and only had half the characters, then martin said that was because it was one bo0ok split in two, and here we are two fucking years later and he hasnt released the second part, which he claimed to be done with back then. we want the imp. thomas covenant the unbeliever was some badass fantasy more in the tradition of lord of the rings. yeah i know what you mean about sorting through al the crap fantasy tool
I'm pissed about the last book too. I got about halfway through when I realized that we really weren't going to get half the characters, and it killed me. I guess the story just keeps expanding as he writes it. Originally it was suppsed to be only 3 or 4 books, and now I guess Martin thinks it's going to be 7! Come on! Get writing! I see pictures, and he looks like an old man --- he better not die before it's done!

Maybe I'll try Thomas Covenant --- thanks.

psychocat
11-01-2007, 12:04 AM
One of my prized possesions is a boxed set of all of the LoTR books and a CD which is made up of Tolkein himself reading certain chapters out loud. You can hear the passion he had for what he had created , it's interesting listening to the author tell the tale.

higher4hockey
11-01-2007, 12:30 AM
damn straight, i've read the hobbit and lotr many times.

gbf4ever
04-19-2008, 11:14 PM
I've read all of Tolkein's works, one of my favorite authers. The movies were all right, I expected them to be much better though.

Esoteric416
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Ive only read the Hobbit, but i liked it alot. I read it like three times in the couple of months I had to spend in jail once, I guess mostly cause all the other books they had were crap.:thumbsup: