PDA

View Full Version : Rats!

LuckyG
08-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Who's got 'em? And how are they as pets? I'm trying to decide whether I get a dog or a pair of rats for pets when I move to my new apartment - dogs would be fun for outdoors and going for walks, but rats don't need to go out in the winter, and they're cheaper to feed and just as smart and affectionate.

I have a dog at home right now, and... wtf, did she just pee on the floor? She did. And I'm sitting right here. Hmm. Okay. Well, she is normally a good companion, but for the past week it's just been me and her and I think she is bored of just sitting around and going for walks once in a while, maybe playing tug of war. I just feel kind of bad that I can't pay attention to her all the time, but I have other stuff to do too.

Any input is appreciated!

Mustelid
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd have replied earlier if it weren't for the fact that I just joined. It's a shame no one else has. Rats are great pets, very clean, intelligent and affectionate. I'd highly recommend a pair of rats.

GrinS
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
i hate rats and for some reason, i look down upon people who own them.

xcrispi
11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
i hate rats and for some reason, i look down upon people who own them.

Bummer dude ,
They're as clean as a cat believe it or not . And smart , I'm not believing the smart as a dog bit but that's just my opinion .
I've had many , many rats over the years and they're way cool and domesticateable creatures . Merlin , Tinker , and Booty rat rocked !!!! :thumbsup:
Peace
Crispi :jointsmile:

hreskofreight4
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
you could get a little ratdog like a chihuahua and get the best of both worlds

Nyghtfire0
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
as i read this i cannot help look down at my little girl (ruby - she's a rat) sitting on my lap and think yes rats are amazing pets also my rats never eaten my weed lol

OLDE ENGLISH '800
11-09-2007, 03:15 PM
ive had rats but not for long usually the ride back from the pet store then they get thrown in with a snake.

jessem98
11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
i had a pet rat, his name was harley and he was awesome. They're very smart, and can compress their bodies a ton. I personally think they're awesome it you want something to chill with but dont want the hassle and mess of a dog. Dogs are amazing too.

psychocat
11-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I like rats and would say you should go with them over dogs any day.
Dogs are dumb , too damn subservient and needy.

stinkyattic
11-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Dogs are dumb , too damn subservient and needy.
Oh man... try living with a female bully breed if you think they are subservient... stubborn, pushy, and can sulk like a champ...
Rats are wicked cool though. I've never had them as pets but have had friends who did- neat little critters, and by far the smartest rodent that is commonly kept as a pet.

shyboots
11-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Rats are the best pets ever, the more time you spend with them the more you get out of them (as in any pet really) Used to have one that sat on the back of the sofa and play with my hair till he fell asleep........never messed outside his cage either. Awesome animals!!

Metaphor
12-04-2007, 03:18 AM
lol if your getting a pair of rats, your gunna end up with alot more than a pair of rats, if ya know what i mean.
but yeah, there good pets. ive had 4 or 5 over the years, very easy to care for and cheap to maintain.

TheSmokingMonkey
12-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Rats are the BEST pets. Be sure to get rats that are healthy and strong, from a reputable breeder. The ones in pet stores (especially big pet stores, or stores that sell them as feeders for snakes) are often sickly and prone to premature death from respiratory disease.

They are so smart and easy to care for. Be sure to keep the cage in a warm, draft-free part of the house, though, cause they catch cold easily and can die from it. And never, ever use pine or cedar bedding chips - aspen or newspaper only!

I recommend feeding them fresh veggies and table scraps. They are omnivores and a homemade diet is much, much better for them than premade pet food. They can get by just fine on healthy human food (rice, veggies, whole grains, meat), so as long as you eat healthy, you can just share your food with them.

Definitely get at least two, as they are social. Males are super-lazy and females are super-hyper. I thought females were more fun, but if you want one to sit on your shoulder and chill out, get males.

I miss having rats. But my dogs would probably get into trouble with them.