PDA

View Full Version : resident evil 5 trailer being accused of racism...

slipknotpsycho
08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
here's the trailer:http://youtube.com/watch?v=kP3XFPSHiWo

man... wtf is the world coming to :mad:

PS3 News: Resident Evil 5 Trailer Racist? (http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1625.html)

is it just me or is that completely ridiculous? (i'm not even some huge fan of RE, so it's not cuz 'i feel like my game is being attacked' i could personally give a shit even if it were cut from release)

4twentE
08-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Where can I see the trailer?

slipknotpsycho
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Where can I see the trailer?

i just posted it up top

YouTube - Resident Evil 5 - E3 2007 Trailer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kP3XFPSHiWo)

link incase someoen can't see the embedded video.

4twentE
08-02-2007, 05:04 PM
OK. I vote no, not racist. It seems to take place in some African village, so there should be lots of black folks running around. And if there's lots of zombies running around, I'd kill them no matter what color they are.

Gandalf_The_Grey
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I've seen the trailer, it takes place somewhere in Africa. One of those desolate poor nations where tribal members are running around killing people with machettes.... and of course the people with machettes turn into zombies and whatnot, so you run around in a village with hoards of zombie Africans after you. I actually suspected somebody might cry "racist!" when I saw it, but that's only because of our rediculous double-standards in political correctness. Resident Evil 4 was basically the same thing but in an eastern-european village; same thing different part of the world.

But on a non-race-related note, I'm still not cool with this new theme. At first I thought it was just a pretty scary lookin theme, but then I realized it was moreso because it struck a nerve as being something real. I mean there are, in real life, millions of people dying from tribes running around with machettes cutting off the heads of men, women, and children. That's some deeply disturbing shit as is, I think making the same terrifying reality into a videogame for us to play just aint cool. I know if I was in that situation, watching my friends and family getting slaughtered, I'd be pretty pissed off if millions of rich kids were playing at it like a game.

Nation_1ne
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, because Africa is prodominatly occupied by white people.

If that's the case I may as well make a claim that all the previous Resident Evils are racist towards white people.

slipknotpsycho
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I've seen the trailer, it takes place somewhere in Africa. One of those desolate poor nations where tribal members are running around killing people with machettes.... and of course the people with machettes turn into zombies and whatnot, so you run around in a village with hoards of zombie Africans after you. I actually suspected somebody might cry "racist!" when I saw it, but that's only because of our rediculous double-standards in political correctness. Resident Evil 4 was basically the same thing but in an eastern-european village; same thing different part of the world.

But on a non-race-related note, I'm still not cool with this new theme. At first I thought it was just a pretty scary lookin theme, but then I realized it was moreso because it struck a nerve as being something real. I mean there are, in real life, millions of people dying from tribes running around with machettes cutting off the heads of men, women, and children. That's some deeply disturbing shit as is, I think making the same terrifying reality into a videogame for us to play just aint cool. I know if I was in that situation, watching my friends and family getting slaughtered, I'd be pretty pissed off if millions of rich kids were playing at it like a game.

very true, and i agree with you on that.

but as we all know, people will make games, songs, books, and movies out of any event, tragic or not to profit from...

i'm still waiting to see "Flights of 9/11... Terrorist Missions" or some equal type crap....

oh and idon't mean waiting so i can buy it :p to tell you the truth, i'm honestly suprised it's been used as little as it has to monopolize the situation... (i mean yeah it's been used ALOT, but far less then i'd of ever expected)

Nation_1ne
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM

In that case let's ban all modern warfare games then, right?

MadSativa
08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
this game is gonna be sick the last one was bloody briliant, I cant wait for the movie (3) as for racist you cant make a game in africa without haveing africans it would be racicst if they had a set in africa and their were nuthing but white guys play africans but who knows. Tony Montana was a white guy playing a cuban and thats was briliant and in some Rodriguez films hes got non indigenous people playing mexicans and it came out amazing. Racsit no briliant yes the T viruse is out of the country and gone global, new from the Umbrella Corporation.:pimp:......

Reefer Rogue
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
no racism

onequestion
08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Anyone who says that was racist is an idiot. What would be racist is putting a bunch of token white people in an AFRICAN village. And this game looks fucking awesome.

LIP
08-02-2007, 05:32 PM
How is any of that racist?

Blitzed
08-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Now, while we understand the complaint - and we hear this blog isn't the only source speaking out - there is the possibility that Capcom isn't racist, and that they simply placed the game's setting in Africa. ...in Africa, if we're not mistaken, there are African-American individuals. To jump ahead in the story, if they're all getting infected by whatever this zombie virus is, it would stand to reason there'd be a lot of black zombies. Chris Redfield being white doesn't seem relevant, as he has been white since the start of the series, and up until now, we have difficulty remembering even a single African-American undead opponent for Chris. In other words, the heroes in Resident Evil have been mowing down white zombies for over a decade.

Damn double standards. Kill all the white zombies you want, but when Africans become zombies you better just let em roam, or your a racist. Wouldnt that make GTA SA racist because, every other main character was white, and CJ (a gang banger in a city similar to LA) is black? People need to stop blaming video games for the worlds problems.

S.W.I.M. 504
08-02-2007, 08:16 PM
its all a huge double standard, everyone know black people love to play the race card im sure if black people put white people into slavery 200 years ago white people would be pulling the race card the same way black people use it.

but today i could make a video game called KILL THE WHITE PEOPLE! for xbox 360 and im sure nobody would complain.

MisterGreen
08-02-2007, 08:18 PM
that's not racist at all it's a fucking video game. like blitzed said the world need to stop blaming video games for it's problems.

friendowl
08-02-2007, 10:00 PM
there is a game on line called border patrol where you kill illegals coming in to the usa
another game called iced where you can take the role of an illegal alien

what happened to normal fun games

S.W.I.M. 504
08-02-2007, 10:07 PM
^^ ya what happend to the video games where you just kill people not based on thier ethnic backround, but just for fun. what is the world coming to?

couch-potato
08-02-2007, 10:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with the theme of the game, unless zombies really are killing people who live in poverty. Looks like some good clean fun, hell I might even pick up a 360 because of it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
08-02-2007, 10:47 PM
In that case let's ban all modern warfare games then, right?

Nope, I'm not saying that at all. Something like a WW2 game is long-since past from a prior generation. Something like Halo or Gears Of War is just fantasy. I have a problem with this because a) it's happening right now, but moreso because b) there's just a line IMO; there's wars, there's brutality sure, but the shit going on in Africa is kind of another level of sick twisted shit. Did you know in Rawanda the soldiers would sign their names to the heads they cut off from children?

Look what it really comes down to is the difference between wars between governments, and outright genocide. I think there's a big difference between government conflicts and cutting down children in their homes with machettes.

Nation_1ne
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Nope, I'm not saying that at all. Something like a WW2 game is long-since past from a prior generation. Something like Halo or Gears Of War is just fantasy. I have a problem with this because a) it's happening right now, but moreso because b) there's just a line IMO; there's wars, there's brutality sure, but the shit going on in Africa is kind of another level of sick twisted shit. Did you know in Rawanda the soldiers would sign their names to the heads they cut off from children?

Look what it really comes down to is the difference between wars between governments, and outright genocide. I think there's a big difference between government conflicts and cutting down children in their homes with machettes.

None of those games are what I'm reffering to. I'm talking about games like CS:S, SWAT, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell and games like GTA and Saints Row anything that represents the Modern World.

Yeah I know some of the sick and twisted things that go on out there. I do watch the news. But I fail to see why you think it's unfair to make a game in Africa but it's ok based in Iraq? Or a game that's based in the united States? Sadly, equally disturbing things happen in all countries, the difference is in how frequently they occur.

BUZz UK
08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Did I miss something? Where was the racism?

BUZz UK
08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
On a side note, zombies feature heavily in lots of African folklore.

slipknotpsycho
08-03-2007, 01:34 AM
None of those games are what I'm reffering to. I'm talking about games like CS:S, SWAT, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell and games like GTA and Saints Row anything that represents the Modern World.

Yeah I know some of the sick and twisted things that go on out there. I do watch the news. But I fail to see why you think it's unfair to make a game in Africa but it's ok based in Iraq? Or a game that's based in the united States? Sadly, equally disturbing things happen in all countries, the difference is in how frequently they occur.

true but we don't have games where we rape kids based in america...

and i do see where he's coming from... maybe i can explain it a bit better..

what he's talking about is pure twisted brutality, it's derranged and fucked up on a whole new level.

iraq and the other wars are a clash of people, but compared to the other shit, it's STILL civil... atleast imo...

we're not over in iraq cutting the heads off women and children and defiling their bodies by the thousands/millions.... we're not strapping ak's on kids as young as 12 and having them enter the battlefield....

i don't agree with the war in iraq, but it is by far, much more clean and civil...

i dunno even reading this over it still doens't quite grasp the point any better then he explained... i just understand what he's saying and his point of view and i happen to agree with it...

zino11
08-03-2007, 01:47 AM
what the hell? i see no racism at all

couch-potato
08-03-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't give a shit if the zombie is white, black, brown, yellow, blue, green, or purple. I'm gunna fucking kill it and I'm going to enjoy myself while doing it.

slipknotpsycho
08-03-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't give a shit if the zombie is white, black, brown, yellow, blue, green, or purple. I'm gunna fucking kill it and I'm going to enjoy myself while doing it.

lmao, funniest quote i've seen in awhile...

gravity420
08-03-2007, 02:06 AM
a recent several hundered million dollar lawsuit was filled against toyz r us, over racial discrimination

slipknotpsycho
08-03-2007, 02:07 AM
link plz.

Eazy
08-03-2007, 03:18 AM
erm sterotypical is clsed i culd get like
errm
africans are black... they have villeges and beards? erm its not in south africa as there is no lethal weapon badies init... and oh yea... there zombies ..

slipknotpsycho
08-03-2007, 03:49 AM
erm sterotypical is clsed i culd get like
errm
africans are black... they have villeges and beards? erm its not in south africa as there is no lethal weapon badies init... and oh yea... there zombies ..

do you speak english....?

and who voted they agree it's racist?

i just want an explination as to how :wtf:

Nation_1ne
08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
true but we don't have games where we rape kids based in america...

and i do see where he's coming from... maybe i can explain it a bit better..

what he's talking about is pure twisted brutality, it's derranged and fucked up on a whole new level.

iraq and the other wars are a clash of people, but compared to the other shit, it's STILL civil... atleast imo...

we're not over in iraq cutting the heads off women and children and defiling their bodies by the thousands/millions.... we're not strapping ak's on kids as young as 12 and having them enter the battlefield....

i don't agree with the war in iraq, but it is by far, much more clean and civil...

i dunno even reading this over it still doens't quite grasp the point any better then he explained... i just understand what he's saying and his point of view and i happen to agree with it...

All I can say is you obviously don't know much about the war in Iraq then do you? I can assure you children are given weapons out there. Hell, I'm pretty certain I've seen news about children being strapped with bombs and blowing up soldiers, and It's more civil? How about all of the news about troops abusing innocent prisoners?

Warning some pictures may be disturbing.

Children of Iraq Association Charity (http://www.coia.org.uk/)

How civil a war is that?

There is nothing wrong what so ever with basing a game in Africa. The game is purely fictional for crying out loud. I for one saw nothing about gangs decapitating innocent villagers in that RE5 trailer, nor rape, or young children being forced into crime for that matter.

Also I don't understand what you mean by "We're not cutting the heads off of people in Iraq"? As far as I know we aren't in Africa either. I think you'll find that in Iraq rebels do cut off the heads from people.

NightProwler
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
people always try to make shit look raciest

bluntblaze
08-04-2007, 02:37 AM
haha racist? hell no. scary because its in a remote african zombie village? can i get a.. hell yeah! lol... i think this game looks awsome. i downloaded the trailer the other day and ive wanted it ever since.

slipknotpsycho
08-04-2007, 02:42 AM
haha racist? hell no. scary because its in a remote african zombie village? can i get a.. hell yeah! lol... i think this game looks awsome. i downloaded the trailer the other day and ive wanted it ever since.

yeah i'm not a fan of RE cuz of the puzzles and crap, RE4 seemed to be more assault-ish... this one looks better... i might actually pick this one up after prices drop on it.

420_s.w.e.d.
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
its not racist

opticaldata
08-17-2007, 05:17 AM
i dont see it as racist. its probally another white person with there pants so far up there *** its preventing them to think with reasoning. All i see is another poverty stricken african village that is dealing with starvation and disease.

killerweed420
08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
How in the fuck could that be seen as a rascist trailer.Now if somebody was screaming "Lets kill all the ****** zombies" that might be construed rascist. Not in my book.There is nothing rascist about using the word ******.Its just a word.

xxxhazexxx
08-17-2007, 08:58 AM
wheres my shotgun i cant wait,res 5 yeah its not racist

rebgirl420
08-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Thats so not racist. Im a HUGE zombie buff and 90 percent of zombies in movies AND games are white! Not that it matters much anyway, I dont consider zombies as humans anyway. Im sure they dont care who they eat, black, white, latino. So why should we care? Lemme tell you what, if my ass is being chased by zombies im shooting.

lunchbox3445
08-17-2007, 10:35 PM
it's not racist, it looks like it's going to be an amazing game though.