PDA

View Full Version : Kayak upgrade

stinkyattic
07-30-2007, 02:42 AM
Uh oh... a chick with a power drill and a hand plane :eek:
I bought a pretty small, sluggish, kayak last year. It's a Perception Acadia Scout 10, originally built as a junior model, but fits me fine. I REALLY like its lines, and its light weight. But it doesn't track straight at ALL with an adult in it, so this is what I've done to fix that.
I added a ~20" keel extender made of a piece of poplar that I carved and planed. Speed of a boat is dependent upon the ratio of its displacement to its waterline... I just added almost 4 feet to my waterline! :D Test drive results will be posted when I feel like it. I also added a fishing rod holder made out of a sink drain line. Home DePOT is not just for DIY hydro, eh?

HEY! If you look really closely, you can see my electric meter SPINNING in the background, lol...

S.W.I.M. 504
07-30-2007, 02:43 AM
who needs a kayak when u have floatys on your arms?

msalen
07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
good thinking stinky , i 'd like to say that your my hero;)

stinkyattic
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Yay, thank you!
I'm taking the boat out after work today. It's hella hot out, yuck.

Weedhound
07-30-2007, 05:36 PM
How did you attach it to the front of the kayak?

Weedhound
07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Never mind I figured it out.....like the very first picture there, lol. :thumbsup:

Bluntmasterbabe
07-30-2007, 05:40 PM
I love kayaking...we've been looking at them online, and we'd like to buy one, but they're insanely expensive. Looks like alot of fun:D

stinkyattic
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
It's on the rear of the kayak actually. It makes the overall profile of the boat's waterline thicker closer to the bow, a shape that boat-builders refer to as "cod-headed" and which has been used to add speed to Adirondack guideboats for a hundred years.
This boat was $310 NEW. Look up Perception Acadia Scout. It's a junior model but I bought it when I weighed in at 185 lbs and it was fine.
I attached the keel using a pre-existing bolt hole that was molded into the plastic, and then stabilized it with 3 screws right into the hull- one through each of the metal straps, and one that you can't see that is countersunk up into the wood at the base of the keel extender to keep it from twisting.

Weedhound
07-30-2007, 05:55 PM
On the back, lol. Boy I'm sharper than a razor blade today. You wouldn't get me in that death trap for all the tea in china. What are you; some sort of nut?

stinkyattic
07-30-2007, 05:59 PM
You wouldn't get me in that death trap for all the tea in china. What are you; some sort of nut?

Awwww it doesn't have a spray skirt so you can just slip right out.
Anyway, THIS nut only runs whitewater in a canoe. Kayaks are for those lazy days when you just want to cruise around really fast and silently with no effort and sneak up on fish.

Country Cow Freak
07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I think that addition will make your boat track much better and, better tracking = better speed. Way to go Girl with power tools :thumbsup:

We are putting a flotilla together for the end of August on your favorite river. *You have mail*

Peace,

CCF

stinkyattic
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Yo what's up CCF.
Tried out the 'yak yesterday on the CT river and found that:
-It tracks better
-Less energy is wasted on steering
-Speed is improved
-I put the keel on a little high; only an inch or so sits in the water, but a cooler with a 12-rack in it should fix that, lol.

Country Cow Freak
07-31-2007, 04:33 PM
-I put the keel on a little high; only an inch or so sits in the water, but a cooler with a 12-rack in it should fix that, lol.

Maybe you could make a wider keel so that you would have deeper contact with the water and still use the same bolt holes?

Tried to E-mail you the itinerary for the 29th but the mail was returned with

Remote host said: 552 <stinkyattic@***********> is currently over quota.
Perhaps I'll run in to you or you could E-mail me with another address and I'll send it to you. Should be a good time. So far we have six boats lined up!

Peace,
CCF

Weedhound
07-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Awwww it doesn't have a spray skirt so you can just slip right out.
Anyway, THIS nut only runs whitewater in a canoe. Kayaks are for those lazy days when you just want to cruise around really fast and silently with no effort and sneak up on fish.

Yeah, you're some sort of nut.... :D

MadSativa
08-03-2007, 04:53 PM
looks like it will work to mee mabey some booms for me dogh