PDA

View Full Version : has anyone put their dog down?

BlAzInIt4:20
07-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Well i went today with my grandmother to put her best friend down. I had to drive due to the fact she wouldn't stop crying. I stayed strong until i saw them put the injection in... for some reason i just realized life is no more for spot. i also realized it's an emotional experience to do this.. It hurts knowing that friend you had for 14 years that youv taken care of and fed and gave a good life is now on the other side. BUT now im going to spend the day with gma just wanted to share this with everyone.. were going to go watch hair spray lol

the new simpsons movie rocks !!!

off topic i know..

Psycho4Bud
07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
I've had to do it a few times.......pets become our children and after 14 yrs. it's a tough thing to handle. Good luck and best wishes to you and your grandmother.

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

Gandalf_The_Grey
07-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I had my dog Buster for 9 1/2 good years. He was a doberman/lab, 135lbs, understood pretty much everything you said, absolutely loved playing with kids (he'd run accross the street to play with them lol), he was extremely friendly, and cared about everyone in the family immensely.

He even saved me once when a couple dogs approached me, snarling and ready to attack, and Buster came charging out of the yard at them, letting out his exceptionally deep and loud bark, and they ran like hell!:D

Every night he'd sleep with my little brother. I could tell my brother was the one person where Buster considered himself of higher rank in the pack order. He seldom took orders from my brother, and even snatched his food when he wasn't looking, but also protected that kid with his life. He stuck with my little brother when he (my bro) was 5 and lost in the woods for 4 hours, never left his side for a second. He always wanted to make people feel better when they were upset, and when I was cold at night he'd come and sleep on my feet.

He also thought huge sticks were like trophies, and occasinally he'd rip a small tree (like 6-7 feet high) out of the ground and run up to us with it looking so proud lol.

That was the best dog I could have asked for. Unforutately though his arthritis pain got to be too much and he couldn't even get up from his mat sometimes. So one day he just couldn't get up after many tries, and we all knew without saying a word that it was time to end it. So my mom (his favorite person) gave him a rediculous amount of painkillers and took him for a long walk on a sunny day, and let him run for a couple hours and just had the greatest time.... then took him to the vet and had the injection done.

I even dug the hole and burried him myself, a nice square deep grave. It was weired because he was dead but just looked asleep, I kept expecting him to open his eyes and look at me. Heh, and that was 4 years ago and I'm still getting choked up writing about this. But it's just one of those things we all have to face, makes it easier to cope with death later.

weedmaster
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
ive had to do it twice, it's heartbreaking, i feel for you and your gran.

Canuckofithaca
07-28-2007, 08:02 PM
my family had to put our cat down last month, he was 21 and really sick

jokeyjokejoke
07-28-2007, 08:13 PM
No, but i've lost two dogs in the last four years. One, Chaz, i'd had for 7 and a half years and he was with me when i lost my parents. He was perfectly healthy aside from the heart murmer he had from birth but one day he started being sick and never stopped. At first it was water he brought up but within two days it turned to blood. I took him to vet straight away after that who treated him with some injection. That night he died.

Two weeks before it happend i had a really good chat with. I thanked him for being so loyal. For being so good. I mean this dog right, you would not even know he was there he was so quiet but as soon as i called him he was by my side. I remember the look on his face when i said "Boneio", he loved them.

My other dog, Defor (As in "D" for "Dog) was hit by a car in april and died from a combination of his injuries and the vets incompetence, he was 2 years and three months. My last memory of him is him jumping of the bed the night before the accident. It seemed such a normal thing at the time but now i'll never forget it, at the time i never would of though it was the last time i'd see him. I didn't see him the next day as i went to work early and he was still in bed. It hurt loosing him, but not like loosing Chaz. Defore was more attached to my partner and was a little jealous when she gave me attention. But he loved her and made her happy and that made me happy. I remeber the day we got him this, tiny little yorkie pup, curled up on the back of my partners mum's Rottie / Dobberman cross. I actually have a photo of that.

zach5993
07-28-2007, 09:14 PM
yes in fact, I had to put my beloved beagle down yesterday. nearly broke my heart. I had know it would be coming weeks from now, but that only made it worse. She had cancer and there was no way to cure her. We did it ourselves.

stripedseed
07-29-2007, 12:39 AM
May 10th this year after only just over 3 years. She was from the pound, but was the best dog ever. Now have another one from the pound and while she's not the same, she's still good.

We have no children and so our dogs are them.

W

partyguy420
07-29-2007, 01:49 AM
more then one... and let me say this... not one of them has been put down in the pound... they have all been put down with a hand gun... or rifle...the last one... my uncle took me with him... to put my dog doobie down... best dog in the world... a black lab with a bit of chocalte lab in him... he was normaly black in color... until the sun hit him just right... and his fur would turn into more brownish color... he was only a year old... but we had to put him down because he got the taste of blood....

but anyways to continue with the story... my uncle was a dumb ass... and shot my dog 2 times...(with a gun that has brought full sized bull elks down with one shot) so i grabed the rifle out of his hands... because my dog was still yelping and i just couldnt let my uncle blow this dog into little chunks befor it finaly died... so walked up to the dog... gave him one last hug... and had to put the rifle to the back of his head... and take care of him...

thats the hardest thing in the world to do... to put down a dog that would eat your weed if you left it laying out... to a dog that would just injoy smoke being blown into his face... to a dog that would start barking when your mom started coming up the stairs... the dog that at the end of the day would just curl up and share your bed... and sleep with you all night... and most of all... the dog that would make you happy as hell when you would come home so pissed off that you were contemplating killing some one...

i miss him... everytime i bought a bag of weed... just to rember him... i would have to roll up a doobie...

pixel
07-29-2007, 02:41 AM
partyguy that brought a lump to my throat

Rest Assured
08-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I had to take my old Staffordshire Bull terrier to the vets to be put to sleep. She had been around for longer than my eldest child, and it was the hardest decision of my life...I still miss her and I get choked up thinking about her dying in my arms :(

Smurph
11-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Had a miniature pincher. The most energetic and playful dog i've ever had. Though he only stood about a foot tall with all 4 legs planted, he could jump (and use my legs to jump off of) to about my shoulders with a little momentum.

He got hit by a car while chasing a squirrel a while back and it damaged his main nerve in his left front leg rendering it useless and limp. I took him to the vet and he said it was just going to take time to get better. For a few months I had a 3-legged dog (even though he had 4 limbs). Eventually, he started biting at his limp leg. We would put bandages over it so he couldn't bite his own leg, but he got through that. We eventually realized that we had to amputate. To buy us some time before he chewed his own paw off, we put a cone on him.

So we wake up the next morning and his cone is not on him... but neither is his paw. He got all the way through! Thankfully we'd keep him in a large cage at night so he doesn't chew everything up in the house at night.

We couldn't find anyone to amputate that didn't need the money right up front. I just didn't have $1500 to put down at the time, however, I was very willing to finance it. Unfortunately, there's no help or understanding for pet owners who don't have $1500 on tap.

Taking my dog to get put down was the hardest thing i'd ever done. He was only two! He didn't need to go yet!

timmyD123
11-18-2007, 01:45 PM
:wtf: you mean like..assisted dog suicide?

beachguy in thongs
11-18-2007, 02:50 PM
The Simpson's do (sorry about your dog) rock!!!

thecreator
11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry to hear that mate I know how difficult that can be. I've done it a few hundred times in High School for I was a vet assistant for four years and every time I saw him do it it was like the first day all over again. I have only put one of the family dogs down for he was hit by one of my neighbors while drunk.He didn't even have the nerve to walk to the house and tell us, he called about an hour later and told me where my dog was.

I hope your grandmother is doing well its hard to loose a friend, especially when their full of purity and love.

Opie Yutts
11-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Yes I've done it. It is the nature of life in the big country. Last one was a 9mm hollow point between the eyes of one of my Blue Heeler dogs. It's no fun but it's better than paying someone else to do it. Then I got out the D-10 cat and dug a nice hole with one or two swipes, laid her in the hole, had a little service with my family, then they watched me cover her over and make a little mound.

StickyfingahZ
11-19-2007, 08:00 AM
We had a miniature collie we had to put down.....she was old and had arthritis,She was a good dog,When The doctor gave her a shot and I saw her head go down,I was so sad and angry at the same time.I never thought I would be that sad,but it felt like one of the family had passed away...........it was.

xhookahtimex
04-22-2010, 06:30 PM
im so sorry for your loss... i couldn't imagine doing such a sad thing... you are so brave to be with your dog during their final moments,
Stay Blessed,
Bee x

painretreat
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Good question: Always relevant; My cousin had to do this last week. Listening to her, being able to talk about it without a tear in her eye, as I wept. Have had to do it several times. Have a few in a pet cemetary and a few in a box (cremated): Still digs up old feelings when the topic comes up; On the bright side, I have a recent addition: when I figure out how to post, will post in pet pics thread;
Anyway, they say psychologically-the best thing to do is get a new pet asap: AS, I have done this and can assure you, the work of a new puppy and training, gets you busy on your new goal and seems to help a great deal! I lucked out with my new addition; first mixed breed I've had and I just love her! Fills the immediate empty hole-in the long run. The only thing I can say in addition is: It is always better to do it before you feel guilty you waited too long! I am sure I did with one pet, as I felt her life diminishing while the vet prepared the medicine-I was sure she was fading in my arms of cardiac arrest after a long struggle with pancreatitis. The guilt will always live on. The only comfort is in the fact she was wiggling her tail and walking in the front yard the evening before and I stayed up all night with her trying to decide, when: By that time-I realized, she most likely was having some mini heart attacks and seemed to have mild seizures throughout the night, even though she recognized me-she never appeared to be in pain. Perhaps, that is how our little friends 'take care of us.' If only I had perceived her time was there, when she was comforting me. Now, my new little friend has all the best traits of every pet I've ever had. Plus, I decided on just one pet at a time, instead of two. It sure makes my new little friend different. Always thought they needed another 4 pawed friend. Boy, was I wrong. Not that 2 pets aren't better than one-it just suits my needs better.
The other thing the professionals rec; is to have a plan for the demise of your pet when the day comes-you will be preparred. After my very first loss-I had a plan (as I had read the professionals recs prior tho the unexpected passing) so I had a plan and just went into auto-pilot, even getting a new pet 2 days later. It took months before I could speak or tell anyone of his passing. Not that it gets easier, but having a plan for that day-is the best thing!
A thread that remais relevant to us all!

Bong30
04-27-2012, 01:40 PM
I just put my white boxer down. She was only 4. Had bad cancer, and it was time. Had the vet come to the house. It was terrible, but very easy on my baby girl. God bless you all that have lost a pet.

Its a Plant
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I just put my white boxer down. She was only 4. Had bad cancer, and it was time. Had the vet come to the house. It was terrible, but very easy on my baby girl. God bless you all that have lost a pet.

Sorry to hear that man. My condolences.

It's always tough to put down a pet. It's losing one of the family. ~

HomegrownInIdaho
04-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Our dogs had puppies, mom shepherd/pit mix, dad pit mastiff mix. Anyway she had 9 by the time they were weaned and we took 5 to the humane society 3 of them couldn't even stand up. They had a degenerative spine disease. Out of 9 a third of them got put down. Wasn't super attached to them but it was still rough. Like putting a 2 month old baby down. Was sad.

reefergrl
08-26-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I know losing pets (really, friends) hurts. They do become your family.

79lostinspace79
09-21-2012, 12:58 AM
No I have not but I had a dog die on me last year my dog died. He was over 19 years old in people years and this week my friend had two kitten die on him I had to dig a grave for his kittens .And also I had two dig a grave for my dog I got another dog but it still hurt.Where I was living there a mean old lady that had the dog and she mistreated him so one night I stole him off of her
and raised him ever since too he died on Sept 11 2011.Had him for four years My new dog is also a rescue and the same with my cat too.

chantoke
01-07-2013, 12:30 AM
I had to dig a grave for his kittens

True friend. :/

Cinnamon
05-25-2013, 04:37 PM
I've never had to put my pet to sleep, not on my own. But I have come home after a weekend vacation with my mom to find my pet cat dead on the floor. =( I was too upset to attend her burial.

Shovelhandle
05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
yes

Esteban1
05-25-2013, 10:58 PM
My best friend "Pokey"291750 tried in vain to save him (15 yrs) but to no avail. One of the reasons I started cultivating. Both suffering ailments that modern medicine doesn't acknowledge. 2.5 years prior he was very ill, not eating. Took him to a vet (hate veterinary medicine cuz they prey on your sensitivity) where he was treated with antibiotics & told to take him home to die. We started to partake (he would sit on the ottoman while I on the rocker & get a grove on) & he developed an appetite, bounced back! Not this time, just passed 3 months prior. Cried like a little school girl.

:sadcrying