PDA

View Full Version : mental block about rock wool cubes are drving me crazy

willow
01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I took pictures and they didn't come out well enough to show anything. Thanks to notanovice for helping, at least now I know how to do it. I think that I solved my root rot problem and I think it was due to the rock wool deteriorating and contaminating my system. I follow instructions that I have gotten from all the great people who have given me advise. When I soak the cubes in 4.5 ph water for 24 hours, they seem soggy and not easy to work with when either putting in a clone or a seed. The cubes I got with my system did not have plastic around them. I got some other ones with the plastic and had major problems with them and that is when the contamination started cause they were breaking apart. They got all yucky. The cloner I got has water running on the cubes all the time. The instructions said to let the water run all the time and when I asked the person where I got the cloner that the cubes seem to break apart, I was told to let the water run all the time and cover the cubes with the clay pebbles. Other information says that the water should run on a timer but it doesn't say how long to let the water run. So what should I do? Let the water run or put it on a timer and if it goes on a timer, how long on and how long off? I really feel stupid about this and can't seem to get it right. One thing I did learn is that the system needs to be completely cleaned and sterile all the time. Thanks for anyone's help. Bonbon and notanovice lordsoth666, heartsurgerysurvivor, garden knowm have really helped alot. Willow

notanovice
01-14-2005, 11:23 AM
it`s been MY experience in a N.F.T. system to run the water all the time, but i`ve seen other similar systems run their solution through the tubes 15 minutes to one half hour every hour or 2.
either way would work, but i preffered to have the solution run 24/7 with solution changes every week, and system flush every month to wash out accumulated fert salts on inside of res. and tubes.

hope this helps you out

Elfmannbca
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
:rolleyes: I use the drip meathod and have it going 24/7. Flush it for 24 Hrs with just water every week then add the food the next day. Just watch the PH and PPM though as the plants take in the food the PPM and PH can become toxic. I found It a lot easier once We developed a routine.

Here Some pic of my Babies after 2 1/2 weeks into flowering

Garden Knowm
01-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Don't feel bad.... something is wrong and you will find the answer soon..

I have seen sysems that run all the time and systems that just run every 30 minutes and everything in beteen.
I have soaked rockwool for weeks (on accident) and never seen it break up. I have seen algea completey consume systems and rockwool... the plants were still GREAT...

Growing should be easier than what your going through... Can you get someone who is an experienced grower to check out your set up.... There must be something fundementaly wrong and I bet it is a quick fix...

Have you tried hydrogen peroxide?
I'd still like to see the roots : )
good luck

bonbon
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
rockwool does not need a constant watering ,in fact it will not function as a medium if it is soaked ,it is designed to hold and retain air and water,if soaked constantly ,it will deteriorate and drown the roots,limit the cycles to 15 minutes every 3-4 hours,or use hydroton with a starter cube only,only increase the cycles as the plant grows,....bonbon

bonbon
01-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Growing with rockwool (http://tn.essortment.com/growingwithroc_rtek.htm)

http://www.highlife.com.au/man/ (http://www.highlife.com.au/man/)

How to grow cannabis in rockwool. (http://www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/rockwool_guide.php)

....bonbon

heartsurgerysurviver
01-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Not trying to disagree with anyone , but , I use 2x2x2 rock wool cubes in my aeroponic cloner, I run it 24/7 for months at a time without any cleaning, [I am very careful about what goes in the water]. The cubes I put in water , some have been in water for weeks, never have broken down in any way. They come in sheets that have 10 cubes by 10 cubes [100] and i cut them off as needed. A few of the cubes have developed a green slime onthem and i just washed them off in the kitchen sink with no break down. I believe the green slime comes from the light that hits the water making
it grow. The sprayers hit
on one side of each cube so the roots get both water and air constantly.

The only real trouble i've had with the cubes has been a ph problem that flushing well has taken care of. Plants grow very well in the cloner, so well that i've been thinking of putting the sprayers in my ebb and flo tray.
I know other more informed growers have a different opinion, this is just what i've been doing sucessfully and I don't mean to step on any toes.
I hope this helps
peace
heart

notanovice
01-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Not trying to disagree with anyone , but , I use 2x2x2 rock wool cubes in my aeroponic cloner, I run it 24/7 for months at a time without any cleaning, [I am very careful about what goes in the water]. The cubes I put in water , some have been in water for weeks, never have broken down in any way. They come in sheets that have 10 cubes by 10 cubes [100] and i cut them off as needed. A few of the cubes have developed a green slime onthem and i just washed them off in the kitchen sink with no break down. I believe the green slime comes from the light that hits the water making
it grow. The sprayers hit
on one side of each cube so the roots get both water and air constantly.

The only real trouble i've had with the cubes has been a ph problem that flushing well has taken care of. Plants grow very well in the cloner, so well that i've been thinking of putting the sprayers in my ebb and flo tray.
I know other more informed growers have a different opinion, this is just what i've been doing sucessfully and I don't mean to step on any toes.
I hope this helps
peace
heart

PROPS, BRAVO :) :)

keywestcathy
01-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Notanovice...you are so politically correct, I lovesit!! And all the advice you give is ver sound. The key to using rockwool is the level of water that covers the cube. If the rockwool sits in more than 1/4 inch of water, it becomes too saturated. If you are using a medium like geolite under the rockwool, 1/4 inch of water is all that is necessary. I like to keep the algae that forms on the rockwool cubes scraped off as it attracts fungus gnats.
bekind/Coloradojane
www.growweed.com

Bspectral
01-16-2005, 04:24 AM
I took pictures and they didn't come out well enough to show anything. Thanks to notanovice for helping, at least now I know how to do it. I think that I solved my root rot problem and I think it was due to the rock wool deteriorating and contaminating my system. I follow instructions that I have gotten from all the great people who have given me advise. When I soak the cubes in 4.5 ph water for 24 hours, they seem soggy and not easy to work with when either putting in a clone or a seed. The cubes I got with my system did not have plastic around them. I got some other ones with the plastic and had major problems with them and that is when the contamination started cause they were breaking apart. They got all yucky. The cloner I got has water running on the cubes all the time. The instructions said to let the water run all the time and when I asked the person where I got the cloner that the cubes seem to break apart, I was told to let the water run all the time and cover the cubes with the clay pebbles. Other information says that the water should run on a timer but it doesn't say how long to let the water run. So what should I do? Let the water run or put it on a timer and if it goes on a timer, how long on and how long off? I really feel stupid about this and can't seem to get it right. One thing I did learn is that the system needs to be completely cleaned and sterile all the time. Thanks for anyone's help. Bonbon and notanovice lordsoth666, heartsurgerysurvivor, garden knowm have really helped alot. Willow
probably your rockwool cubes aren't the best type. its 2005 now and the best proven rockwool cubes out now are --- Grodan rockwool cubes (flat of 98) has 14 rows of 7--- try them!

Bspectral
01-16-2005, 04:31 AM
don't forget to give them a blooming foilage spray inside the dome

kuri
01-26-2005, 11:24 PM
hey there willow. i know what you are going through. that is the reason why i jsut signed up to this forum. i also have the nft 6 tray system from EZhydro. i had the same thing happen with the water getting smelly and almost look like... spermy stuff floating in the water. YUCK. my roots were covered with this stuff. by the way i am a novice at this and am learning FAST on the go. then i learned to add 3% H2O2 and that has done wonders.

not only that but the system and you and i have is a bit different than how i have seen other nft systems are built. when you set it up, there is NO tilt to make the water run to the other side so anything in it's way (the baskets) will stop the flow until it builds up. so i placed a cd case under one side of the system to get a very slight angle to it. that has helped alot also.

ANOTHER thing i noticed about this system compared to other nft systems is that others have the baskets HANGING whereas this system we have, the baskets sit down on the gully and that smashes the roots AND lets the rockwool sit in the water that has not angle to flush out. so after just setting it up and having all this happen, i learned ALOT about TWO things that this system is a bit flawed in. i have the baskets hanging by some novice ingenuity where i used paperclips and rubberbands and i have the baskets suspended above the battom of the gully about half an inch and that has HELPED ALOT!!! the roots are very happy now and growing so fast, the plant skyrocketing and looking great, the water no longer get milky and spermy looking. OH, one more thing i added was a fish tank bubbler with airstone and that helps the water stay fresh.

also the black rubber tubing that takes the water up to the gully, with the stuff you have had, if you haven't already, i suggest you really clean out those tubes the best you can because it will clog up fast.

anyway, just wanted to give you a post and let you know i feel your pain and am somewhat relieved to know someone else is having problems with this particular system. but with combined efforts, we will all help eachother. later
kuri