PDA

View Full Version : DUMBEST THING EVER SAID AGAINST ATHEISM

juggalo420
01-14-2005, 05:17 AM
i read this on another post and found this the most dis-honest or just dumb use of logic against atheism i ever read, i just had to make a post debunking it.

Originally Posted by GooseBear
atheist don't believe in God that is what I'm hearing
there is no proff that there is a God is what your saying
but then if there wasn't a God why would the atheists say they don't believe in him
cuzz technically he had to be there before people said they didn't think that he was real??? (end quote)

that is such a bullshit use of logic i barely know where to begin.

The average theologian uses 'atheist' to mean a person who denies the existence of a God. However, most atheists would stongly dispute the adequacy of this definition. Rather, they would hold that an atheist is a person without a belief in God. The distiniction is small but important. Denying something means that you have knowledge of what it is that you are being asked to affirm, but that you have rejected that particular concept. To be without a belief in God merely means that yhe term 'god' has no importance or possibly no meaning to you. Belief in God is not a factor in your life. Surely this is quite different from denying the existence of God. Atheism is not a belief as such. It is the lack of belief.

When we examine the components of the word 'atheism,' we can see this distinction more clearly. The word is made up of 'a-' and '-theism.' Theism, we will all agree, is a belief in a God or gods. The prefix 'a-' can mean 'not' (or 'no') or 'without.' If it means 'not,' then we have as an atheist someone who is not a theist (i.e., someone who does not have a belief in a God or gods). If it means 'without,' then an atheist is someone without theism, or without a belief in God.

Webster's 3rd New International Dictionary Unabridged
Here is Webster's definition of atheism:

atheism n 1 a: disbelief in the existence of God or any other deity b: the doctrine that there is neither god nor any other deity--compare AGNOSTICISM 2: godlessness esp. in conduct

disbelief n: the act of disbelieving : mental refusal to accept (as a statement or proposition) as true

disbelieve vb vt : to hold not to be true or real : reject or withold belief in vi : to withold or reject belief

Heres something i could say using goosebears logic, i dont believe in santa clause therefore he must exsist in order for me to deny he exists.

i used some material from infidels.org

mr chinnery
01-14-2005, 11:29 PM
God post fella. The whole idea of God falls apart in the face of hard logic. You might find this interesting Juggalo- http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html

The fact is most religious people are so clueless when it comes to logic, it's just not worth arguing with them. Unless you want a giggle, that is.

mr chinnery
01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
God post fella. The whole idea of God falls apart in the face of hard logic. You might find this interesting Juggalo- http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html

Oops, that should have read "Good post..." Maybe it's a sign...

jones2much
01-19-2005, 12:05 AM
OF COURSE GOD IS REAL. HE MADE WEED.

KennabisCranium
01-19-2005, 01:24 AM
I recommend reading the Book of John. I read it (along with MANY other books) when I was in solitary confinement in a maximum security prison.

GHoSToKeR
01-19-2005, 01:34 AM
right on, juggalo

Goosebear's original post made my head hurt lol

Dick Justice
01-19-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't believe in a God myself, but I hate to condemn the idea and those who do just on my own principles. After all, I've had some experiences with one plant or another that really force a second look at perception. And anyway, reality is in the eye of the beholder. I have to at least accept the possibility of some omniescent power quivering with life beneath the guise of everyday living. Or something.

Don't mind me, I'm--gasp--stoned again.

terminator
01-20-2005, 01:44 AM
ok let me re-word it for you.

atheists think god is bullshit.

you anal little douche bag..

juggalo420
01-20-2005, 03:08 AM
ok let me re-word it for you.

atheists think god is bullshit.

you anal little douche bag..
exactly, god is a fucking lie, told by the weak of mind who cannot grasp the concept of logic. no offence of course :D

terminator
01-20-2005, 04:04 AM
lol.. i take no offence because i too :p believe :p that god is nothing but some bogus shit for morons that cant take reality.

terminator
01-20-2005, 04:13 AM
actually i read the post wrong at first, but that guys still a stupid anal douche. what a dumb bastard. :D