PDA

View Full Version : need help with puppy...

slipknotpsycho
07-18-2007, 04:08 AM
i need some ideas here...

ok here's the problem... first, instead of the oldfashioned newspaper we have these things called puppy pads... well he's pretty much got the idea to poo on 'em.... but he will not pee on them for nothing.... i've been trying hard to work with him and get him to pee on the pad... but eventually he'll walk straight off the pad, far away (it's not that he's just missing it by an inch or so) and pee on the floor...

i've tried picking him up when he's peeing and putting him on it, he'll walk off and go pee somewhere else.. i've tried taking a clean one and cleaning up one of his pee spots with the pad so maybe he'd get the idea... that ain't worked either....

any ideas?

oh yeah, he's sick right now, so getting him housebroken isn't very viable... he needs LOTS of liquid, and he has frequent diahreah... once he gets over it i'll start taking him out like normal...

but any ideas for now?

Psycho4Bud
07-18-2007, 04:12 AM
Them pads are garbage! I've had two different friends try them things with no success. Just gotta keep an extra eye out and when he starts looking "in need", take him outside.

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

jdub61
07-18-2007, 04:12 AM
i say your best bet is to take him outside like every 20-30 minutes.... at least, that's what i do with my girlfriend's puppy when i'm at her house

slipknotpsycho
07-18-2007, 04:14 AM
you think everytime he actually goes outside i should give him a peice of a treat, until he gets the idea?

he doesn't seem to respond well to just yes and no's... it's like he's tone deaf... i can scold him and he'll still sit there as if i was saying good boy lol...

jdub61
07-18-2007, 04:18 AM
yeah, positive feedback could help reinforce the idea of peeing outside...it wouldn't hurt, at least...

you should post a pic of him, btw :)

slipknotpsycho
07-18-2007, 04:19 AM
http://boards.cannabis.com/pets-animals/123336-his-name-buddy.html

clever421
07-18-2007, 04:31 AM
hm i had a puppy like that all i did was kinda made him smell his pee by putting his nose close to it then pick him up and make him smell the news paper or puppy pad lol idk why but puppy pad sounds like a hilairous word

Celeste
07-18-2007, 04:44 AM
hi slip, i'm on, and i have a few suggestions for you.

thoughtwriter
07-18-2007, 05:01 AM
this sounds mean, but when he pees, put his nose in it....i know :( but it worked with my pup....
also, put a bell on the door (like a chime or something), so everytime you take him outside to do his business he will hear the sound.....make sure your always take him out of that door........be patient, when time goes on, take his paw and knock the bell with it....then EVENTUALLY he will ring the bell himself

napolitana869
07-18-2007, 01:01 PM
When I got my last dog I had the opposite problem. He would pee outside and poop inside. All I had to do was give him a treat and he picked up the idea in no time. He was older than your dog though so it could take a little puppy longer to learn. Also, some breeds are harder to potty train. Good luck!

stinkyattic
07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Personally I don't like the idea of puppy pads at all just because it reinforces that it's okay to take a crap in the house.
I would not be surprised if you could get him to pee on a FRESH pad, away from where he's just pooped.
But outdoors IMHO is the way to go.