PDA

View Full Version : Another bad parent tries to blame video games for their kids violent actions.

Melkane
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Murderer's mother blames videogames for son's actions // GamesIndustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26755)

She admits right in the article that she just bought the games other kids were playing and the ones he wanted without properly checking into what the games were about. She was so ignorant of gaming she didn't even know they had ratings...yeah that's being an active concerned parent *rolls eyes*. People like this just piss me off. Looking to lay the blame on anyone, anything but themselves. Then we get crap like Manhunt 2 being banned or a higher than should be rating.

TOOL9
07-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Thats right, the video game is what made him stab that woman 72 motherfuckin times.... i get it now

slipknotpsycho
07-17-2007, 10:33 PM
i don' teven really pay attention to this type of shit anymore.... blaming games is a useless battle.. i've only ever known 2 games to have something done about them despite the countless bitching.... manhunt 2, and gta:sa...

all they're really doing is giving the games publicity and making every kid and everyone else want it just that much more.... i know i've bought a couple of games for shock factor...

rebgirl420
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Ugh that makes me so mad. They did this for all the school shootings and stuff. It just pisses me off to no end. Im pretty sure people who do that kind of shit have deeper problems than DOOM or GTA.

Ganj
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
But video games have been known to increase aggression in adolescents. OK, so the kid was a little unstable to begin with but think about it. A naive teenager would easily think that murder is OK because America is distributing all over the planet! I hope you all get the idea I'm trying to convey. You're argument would probably consist of a compare & contrast of reality & video games, which should be taught to children. Perhaps all the blame rests on the parent though. For her negligence as a mother. Who bought the game consoles? Who brought home the games? I have a few questions before I can nail this lady to the cross. Although, I can't see how a mother could even put her son in that category. To say he's one of those kids who can't tell the difference between a video game & reality. She probably had thoughts like, "If he keeps playing those games he might kill someone." Then again, you can always look at it from a lawyer's perspective. Someone is always controlling what you hear and see on television.

BoilerUp
07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
But video games have been known to increase aggression in adolescents.

Sorry but no. Violent video games do not cause aggression | The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/video_games_and_aggression/)

" Williams explained: "Players were not statistically different from the non-playing control group in their beliefs on aggression after playing the game than they were before playing." He added: "Nor was game play a predictor of aggressive behaviors. Compared with the control group, the players neither increased their argumentative behaviors after game play nor were significantly more likely to argue with their friends and partners." "

Using video games as a reason for murder is ABSURD. Anyone who would have those kind of reactions to games is probably mentally disabled and shouldn't be playing them in the first place. Mothers of these children should know this, but they probably go through a denial phase and just let them buy the games. That or they don't even bother to check the ratings on the box.

TallCoolOne
07-17-2007, 11:03 PM
i still blame super mario brothers for my constant derogatory comments of the italian people.

Ganj
07-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Sorry but no. Violent video games do not cause aggression | The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/video_games_and_aggression/)

" Williams explained: "Players were not statistically different from the non-playing control group in their beliefs on aggression after playing the game than they were before playing." He added: "Nor was game play a predictor of aggressive behaviors. Compared with the control group, the players neither increased their argumentative behaviors after game play nor were significantly more likely to argue with their friends and partners." "

Using video games as a reason for murder is ABSURD. Anyone who would have those kind of reactions to games is probably mentally disabled and shouldn't be playing them in the first place. Mothers of these children should know this, but they probably go through a denial phase and just let them buy the games. That or they don't even bother to check the ratings on the box.

You're right. Although, in your defense you enlightened me to a good point. Playing violent games does make you more aggressive. You don't blow up the helicopters out of kindness, and if you did, then you might be touching base on some pathological unease. If there is any increase in an individual's aggression, it could be easily observed during gameplay.

ZeldaG.
07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
crash bandicoot makes me run into people on the highstreet spinning like mad, trying to steal their apples :jointsmile:

BoilerUp
07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
You're right. Although, in your defense you enlightened me to a good point. Playing violent games does make you more aggressive. You don't blow up the helicopters out of kindness, and if you did, then you might be touching base on some pathological unease. If there is any increase in an individual's aggression, it could be easily observed during gameplay.

I can accept that as an answer, it would be bad on my part to say that it doesn't increase aggression at all.

rebgirl420
07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
hahah zelda, I know when i was a kid i used to dress up as mrs.pacman and run around the mall screaming "wakka wakka"

Ganj
07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
As for me, playing GTA serves as a tool for venting my aggressive tendencies.

4twentE
07-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Practice. That's exactly what I play GTA for. :wtf:

420_s.w.e.d.
07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I have been playing violent videogames for many years and I have never had thoght to go kill someone because I seen it in a video game. the parents of these children need to stop letting their kids buy these games if they think they will kill someone. Most people that kill are because of something happening in real life not from a fucking video game.

thcbongman
07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I think video games are good.

It improves your hand-to-eye coordination, and critical thinking.

I think shooter video games does increase aggression, but you could make the same argument for something like boxing or martial arts.

palerider7777
07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
it's called inproper parenting how bout teach ur kids right from wrong i grew up doing nothing but playing games and i never once been to jail so it's a bunch of bs

onequestion
07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
And weed causes people to go on massive killing sprees.

Reefer Rogue
07-24-2007, 07:32 AM
I can't stand people that blame video games for violence. The media and movies play absolutely no part ;)

palerider7777
07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
nope it's the parents not teaching. kids can watch all the t.v and bad stuff they want. but if there taught right none of that would bother them. yes they might have ?? about stuff but if u teach them right that won't matter.i know cause i grew up in 2 diffrent homes. 1 my mom 2 my dad's.

my brother stayed with my mom. and she let him do what ever damn she was even smoking him out at around 11 years old. i grew up with my mom like my bro but more with my dad a marine.. and yes he was strick when i was younger but when i was around 10 he let me do what ever i wanted. as he owned a business in pcb fl and knew everyone there. so me growing up with him we were more best friends. and everywhere we went we knew everyone .

so i grew up in business and when i'd go back to visit my mom and bro.and when ever something my bro or cousin's would be doing something wrong i got outta there. cause my dad tought me to think ahead and use my brain as to following others be a leader.

u know the kids these days don't really get to spend time with there parents like i got to with my dad. and that is tied to the gov they are breaking up homes. i mean there's so many laws now u can't do this or that to ur kids. u can't have them on a job with ya. stuff like that and the wages compared to what u have to spend out makes it where both parents have to work pretty much. and there's the problem kids are left to themselfs and who's to blame the gov.

palerider7777
07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
oh yea my bro is pretty much fucked. he will be spending a bit of time in prison as he's pretty much lived that street life style. and did alot of things he should'nt have and yes that linked str8 to not being raised right. see how that works!!:wtf: