PDA

View Full Version : Greek Mythology

Euphoric
01-11-2005, 07:22 PM
heres a thread about greek mythology! oh yeah :cool: whats your favorite? Aphrodite is hot :eek: <3

Lulu
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Persephone is the goddess of the underworld in Greek mythology. She is the daughter of Zeus and Demeter, goddess of the harvest. Persephone was such a beautiful young woman that everyone loved her, even Hades wanted her for himself. One day, when she was collecting flowers on the plain of Enna, the earth suddenly opened and Hades rose up from the gap and abducted her. None but Zeus, and the all-seeing sun, Helios, had noticed it.

Broken-hearted, Demeter wandered the earth, looking for her daughter until Helios revealed what had happened. Demeter was so angry that she withdrew herself in loneliness, and the earth ceased to be fertile. Knowing this could not continue much longer, Zeus sent Hermes down to Hades to make him release Persephone. Hades grudgingly agreed, but before she went back he gave Persephone a pomegranate (or the seeds of a pomegranate, according to some sources). When she later ate of it, it bound her to underworld forever and she had to stay there one-third of the year. The other months she stayed with her mother. When Persephone was in Hades, Demeter refused to let anything grow and winter began. This myth is a symbol of the budding and dying of nature. In the Eleusinian mysteries, this happening was celebrated in honor of Demeter and Persephone, who was known in this cult as Kore.

The Romans called her Proserpine

Her names means something like "she who destroys the light."

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/p/persephone.html

Euphoric
01-11-2005, 09:36 PM
thats a very interesting story :) no wonder its survived the ages..

Belleza
01-12-2005, 02:39 AM
my fav from Greek Mythology would probably be Aphrodite too.

observe
01-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey everyone this is my first post.

I'm reading this kick ass book called Quiver by Stephanie Spinner
It's based on one of the greek legends.
Here's a review

From Publishers Weekly
Spinner competently retells the classical legend of Atalanta, abandoned in the woods as a baby because of her gender. Saved by the goddess Artemis the Huntress, Atalanta grows up to become a talented archer and the "swiftest of mortals"; grateful, she swears her loyalty to the goddess and vows to stay chaste. As the book opens, she is the only female hunting for the Calydonian boar, and the first to draw its blood (though, again due to gender, this feat earns her more trouble than honor). Spinner's pacing is somewhat awkward (the story takes too long to unfold, and the conclusion seems rushed), and the large cast is hard to keep straight, but Atalanta has depth as a strong, female protagonist who not only defeats men but who also trusts herself. Shortly after the hunt, Atalanta learns that she is the daughter of King Iasus; he is dying, lacking an heir, and demands that she marry and produce one. To adhere to her vows of chastity, she offers the king a compromise: she agrees to marry a suitor who beats her in a race; otherwise, he must be killed. Of course she wasn't counting on Aphrodite's meddling, or being shot in the heart by Eros's love arrow. The narrative may be difficult to enter, but there is enough death, surprise, prophecy and direct intervention from the gods-including interludes of their whimsical dialogue-to keep readers engaged.

Pick it up from the local library,it's in the young adult section but im serious this is a sick book.It's brilliant I love it.It's great because it starts with action and isn't all boring.The first 5 chapters are like all these charecters hunting a giant beast and it is just such a wicked book check it out

That was a lame ass first post lol

maryjanemama
01-13-2005, 02:32 AM
My favorite Greek goddess has always been Thalia. She is the goddess of good cheer and comedy. I honestly almost named my youngest daughter Thalia.

Lulu, I remember that story from Greek mythology in Literature class from 8th grade and we reviewed it again in 11th. One of my favorites. I read tons of mythology when I was pregnant (and Shakespeare, read the plays aloud and did all of the voices, too, when no one was home). It's always a fun way to lose yourself for a while.

Belleza
01-13-2005, 03:00 AM
I like Egyptian Mythology too. :)