PDA

View Full Version : I hate Vista

ceecee79
07-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Ever since I put the Vista upgrade on my computer, I have had issues. I solved many of the problems (such as internet connectivity, ect.) by doing a clean install of Vista, rather than the "express upgrade" which is what I did initally. The problem I am having now is that my camera will not work. I can find the camera file under windows.old, but it will not work. The camera came with the computer and is not seperate, it is part of the computer. As you may be able to tell by my descriptions, I am not the most computer savy person around, but would like to ask for advice from someone who is. How can I get my camera to work on Vista?

Thanks

D.Boone
07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
yea i heard that it was gonna be alot different and that alot of computers that dont originally come with it are prolly better off just sticking with xp and that alot of older software will not run on vista even alot of xp software

BoilerUp
07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Vista is not a good option now, unless you have specific reasons to install it. Many of the problems are going to be fixed soon, but since they changed the overall windows format a lot of low grade programs can't install properly.

What type of computer camera is it?

ceecee79
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
My computer is an Acer Aspire Laptop AMD 64 x2. It seems I have seen the camera under 2 different names, Acer Orbicam and BisonCam, I am not really sure. When I did the Vista install, the windows upgrade system said it updated something that had to do with the camera, but it still won't work. I also had issues with my Lexmark printer, but I finally got it working.

Spoken Word
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
it's okay... i got a laptop that came with it

click the start circle
type in
Device Manager
click allow
look for webcams or media somthing like that
and see what happends

slipknotpsycho
07-12-2007, 11:43 PM
i hate vista too... too many bugs...

and yeah you're right, if you're pc wasn't built just for vista you're probably better off with xp unless you got a pretty powerful computer, otherwise you're gonna lag alot... but i have core 2 duo and 2 gigs ram, i have no problems at all with vista... well atleast concerning speed...

i like vista better then xp except for the bugs... once a SP comes out, it'll be alot better... been awhiel since it's been out too so one should be coming out in a matter of months or so...

ceecee79
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I did the Device Manager thing and it shows up as "BisonCam, NP Pro" under imaging devices, and there is says the device is working properly and I tried to do the update driver thing, but it said the driver is already up to date. The only related file I can find on the computer is when I go to the start menu and click explore and go to the windows.old folder, and it comes up as "BisonCam", then I clicked on that, and it gave the option "live cam" but when you click on that, it just comes up, but never starts to work--not responding or whatever. I don't even think that is the same one, I think it was updated, but I don't know where to find the file. And Vista is not slow on the computer, it has just been annoying to me. At 1st it kept cutting off the internet connection, (wireless) and it would show a blue screen sometimes and just restart, but after I did the "clean install" I haven't had those issues. I just sometimes get annoyed with machines, I just want them to work on their own, lol.

Spoken Word
07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
hmmm.. i don't know.. my info might be wrong because i'm on a laptop AND my laptop came with vista, but you could still give it a try

in that same device manager menu... and click the webcam you want to use and uninstall...
then look for "Recovery Manager" and install it again..
that usually works for me

ceecee79
07-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Well I uninstalled it, and now I can not find recovery manager. Do you know where that file may be located?

Spoken Word
07-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Under 'Programs'
but i just type it where you typed device manager.
again, it might be different because im on a laptop and vista came with it.

since you uninstalled it. try uninstalling the other camera and installing only the one you want to use.. like you normally would, without recovery manager.

see what happends and if not..
vista came with a lot of bugs that are easy to fix with troubleshoots online.

Dutch Pimp
07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
1. I can't upload attachments. (maybe, I stored them in the wrong place. invalid file?

2. On picture attachments, that other members post...the photos look fine...until I click to enlarge...then they look like watercolor paintings, very distorted. This is a big problem, when looking at trichomes.

I didn't have any problems with my old 98....:wtf:...I'm a noob with computers. Its easy to go over my head....Thanks.

Spoken Word
07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
1-assuming you mean uploading files to the site....try uploading the files in an e mail..

2- It might be that you need to install a graphics card.
or it might be your internet connection..

Dutch Pimp
07-16-2007, 05:25 PM
1-assuming you mean uploading files to the site....try uploading the files in an e mail..

2- It might be that you need to install a graphics card.
or it might be your internet connection..

1. yes, to the site....Thanks...I'll try that..eventually..:stoned:..

2. Dial-up..would a graphics card come with the computer?...otherwise ..hell with it...again thanks....:thumbsup:...

home.grower
07-16-2007, 05:27 PM
I bought a laptop (Acer Aspire 5633WLMi) and it arrived with (Hasta la..~) Vista. I soon got rid of it and put XP in there. Hardly, if, any of the software that I use is available for that lame OS. I've set it up with a dual boot just incase?

I'd sooner buy another laptop and run a few distros of linux in it when XP becomes redundant, but that's not happening til tomorrow..

Spoken Word
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
they launched it early for people to get used to it..
lol i think this is going to be the windows for a loong time.
so that is the best move, use XP until everything else is vista.. XP is a good OS..

dutch... no, i think you would have to install a graphics card.. mine came with a real cheap one.. and dial up also takes the quality away from pictures to run faster...

im not computer savvy either.. i don't wanna come across like some digital wizard.. lol

the image reaper
07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I had been reading in my PC World mags, that Vista really slows down your machine ... the other day, a friend bought a brand-new laptop (with pretty good specs) ... I checked it for him, wow :wtf: ... what a turd :( ... that's what it is, "constipated" lol ... I'd recommend him to 'upgrade' to XP, but Microsoft will be discontinuing support for XP in the future ... my next computer project, I will probably switch to Linux :thumbsup:

4Herbal2Happiness0
08-23-2007, 08:03 AM
LOL and so are everybody else.

jessem98
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
hate it too. i beta tested it, thought it was shit.

THClord
08-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Go back to XP. I'm even supposed to install XP on a Vista computer today. I hope I find all the drivers for XP, cuz the laptop came stock with vista.

r0k
08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Those of you who didn't know, there is _possibly_ a hidden backdoor in Windows Vista which allows certain government agencies to connect to your computer and monitor without your knowledge, nor permission. There is a great deal of controversy regarding this issue, and it's now being claimed by M$ that the backdoor doesn't exist, and never has.

I am sticking with linux/XP.

TallCoolOne
08-23-2007, 11:51 PM
cough OSX cough

420_24/7
08-24-2007, 12:02 AM
wow im like the only one on here that acctually loves vista, i havent had any problems with it yet. Also i like the cool visual stuff.

THClord
08-24-2007, 12:35 AM
You can customize your XP to look like Vista with a few simple OS hacks. So you get get an XP that looks like Vista if you want.

MtlguitarJames
08-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Vista hasn't really bothered me all that much anymore. The few software issues that I've had such as Nero, Acid Pro, and Sound Forge have been resolved by using the "Software Compatibility Wizard" I run them in XP SP2 mode and I haven't had any more issues with them. The huge downside to Vista is that is requires better and faster hardware. I don't have issues because I have 2 gigs of Dual channel ram and a C2Duo E6420 with 4 megs of cache. I was running a P4 3.06 GHZ CPU and Vista was a bit rough. I still will prefer XP Pro SP2 to Vista though. One of the biggest issues I've really ever had with Vista was with the IPOD. For some reason it didn't recognize it as a mass storage device. It eventually worked by rebooting with the IPOD plugged in. It still gets finicky though.

To r0K: There will always be some "hidden" back door that the Gov't can get into man. It's not just vista ok? Depending on what ports you have open for certain applications they can be exploited in some way. As long as you aren't talking about something crazy like growing 150 plants you don't really have anything to worry about.

James

babystarbud
08-27-2007, 05:46 AM
For general use, vista dosent do much that XP cant, and therefore for most people, upgrading is pointless unless you buy a new PC, in which case you dont really get a choice.

Im in the process of building a new system and so have bought vista ultimate x64, purely for DX10 and extra system memory support to feed my high def gaming habbit lol

however, it will run alongside XP untill the issues are fully ironed out.

JeKo
08-27-2007, 05:48 AM
haha thats why i didnt get vista i knew it would be so buggy for a couple of years

babystarbud
08-27-2007, 07:15 AM
haha thats why i didnt get vista i knew it would be so buggy for a couple of years

well, thats where i think a lot of peeps are missing the point....

there is no need to "get" vista.
you will just end up with vista as a natural progression.

people seem to think that just because there is a new OS then they are obligated to run it and thats just not the case, no one is forcing anyone to buy it, and I for one would say thay XP is the best OS in terms of stability and versitility, and will be for the next two years.

XP is the best OS in the history of OS's and thats not going to change for at least a few years.

NuDimensionz
08-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I just got it, and other than my modem not bein supported :( It's not been too bad, got my router working today so all is good, :D

I fink it looks shexxy!!!