PDA

View Full Version : pot and mentle health

tweaked
01-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Ive been smoking for 2 years now. I have bipolar,depression,ocd and anorexia. Lately when I smoke I get paranoid and start crying and get depressed and talk about depressing things then the next minute Im fine. Is that messing with my mentle health? Also, can I get psychois from this since I have illnesses? Can my meds be interacting with this? Lately Ive lost 15 lbs Im down to 88 lbs. and when I smoke I feel faint and my chest hurts is that from the eating disorder or pot too? I read that pot can lead to cancer etc. but those anti drug things are always trying to scare you to death to have you stay away from it. Oh yeah Im like totally obssessed with anything pot related etc. my gf tells me I already sound like a druggie and now Im really curous about other drugs like coke, shrooms etc. hmmm

Nullific
01-10-2005, 10:31 PM
In 1983, Gross et al also carried out a controlled experiment of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinal to test the idea that the appetite-stimulating effects of this prominent psychoactive component of marijuana might be beneficial to patients suffering from anorexia. Tetrahydrocannabinal did not promote weight gain in the patients, and was associated with severe dysphoric reactions in about 25% of the patients. (Note however that THC is just one of ~60 psychoactives in marijuana that contribute to the high.)

Some say marijuana may help depression and bipolar, while others could say it makes it worse. Case by case it would probably depend on the amount smoked and how often, quality of the herb and medications the person is taking for it.

Patients who use cannabis to "relax" may be treating the anxiousness sometimes associated with depression. Cannabis aids the insomnia sometimes present in depression and can improve appetite. Better pain control with cannabis can reduce chronic pain related depression. While cannabis cannot yet be considered a primary treatment of major depression it may improve mood when used under physicians supervision and in combination with therapy and/or SSRIā??s.

There is currently a debate as to which "strain" of cannabis is most appropriate for the adjunctive treatment of depression. Since symptoms are so individualistic it is hard to determine what strain is right expect empirically. In general Sativa dominant strains tend to be more "up" and Indica dominant strains more relaxing.

Patients themselves are often the best judges of whether or not cannabis helps relieve the symptoms of depression. A poorly educated or narrow-minded physician may think any use of cannabis to be a substance abuse related aspect of depression. More enlightened psychiatrists (i.e. Lester Grinspoon of Harvard Medical School) appreciate the often beneficial aspects of cannabis therapy. http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/depression_and_cannabis.htm

There are other ways to help depression than perscription drugs. Try 5HTP or Kava Kava supplements, get more Omega-3 Fatty acids as found in fish and hemp oil, salvia d. has also been used to treat depression as had GHB.

Powerful hallucinogens may make your condition worse.

larry
01-11-2005, 12:41 AM
If you cant handle it like man, Dont bother smoking it.

Bud is for pimps not little bitches. :cool:

jones2much
01-11-2005, 12:46 AM
damn larry.........thats funny

adh endo
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
smoke pot if you think it helps you, smoke a little and relax..

chest pains will be cos youve been inhaling smoke- a bong will reduce harshness a lot..

mental health depends, its up to ones self..

i know its helped me a lot, but depends on dosage and lots of things...

and ive found it helps me keep a healthy diet because i always have a munch as part (or to kill) my buzz..

and yeah, toke, be happy, stress free THC...

sevkex
01-13-2005, 04:23 AM
lol you know whats funny, I'm going to a psychiatrist soon because my mom thinks I have a drug abuse problem, the shrink said it helps depression until you come down off your high then it makes it worse, <3 ignorance

larry
01-13-2005, 04:36 AM
You are going to a psychiatrist because your mom thinks you
have a drug abuse problem? How do you think a psychiatrist
can help you? If you are going to quit smoking pot just do it.
Dont let your mom wast good hard earned money on a pschiatrist
to help coach you. They are the biggest wast of time/money ever.
I cant understand how people can pay good money for
what is basically a fake friend.I say fake because they
wouldnt give a shit about you, unless you pay at least $60bux an hour.

chrace
01-13-2005, 05:09 AM
i dont experience any negative coming down effects

people just need to learn, through common sense and the mood that pot creates, to shape a lifestyle that suits you

i quit wellebutrin and finally relieved myself of any possibilities of me ever seeing a psychiatrist when i started smokin

sevkex
01-13-2005, 06:36 AM
lol, larry, keyword MOM , plus she wouldn't do it if it wasn't covered by health insurance because I think somewhere in her head she knows its not as big of a problem as she thinks it is. Plus I don't want to quit, shit i havent smoked in like 4 days now and I'm fine.

larry
01-13-2005, 06:53 AM
If you dont want to quit.
Why are you going to a phyciatrist if you dont want to quit?
I didnt know health insurance covered drug addiction councelling.

sevkex
01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
one again larry, keyword MOM