PDA

View Full Version : quiz for biology today

halfassedjediknight
06-28-2007, 08:11 PM
my professor is whoopin my butt with all these pop quizzes and i have another one today.

Monomers for the 4 Macromolecules (polymers): Proteins, Carbs, Lipids & Nucleic Acids

Terminology applied to biomolecules: hydrophobic, hydrophilic, polar, non-polar

Effect of pH and temperature on Enzyme structure

Enzyme Inhibition

Definition of Metabolism

Redox Series (carbon)

I know the redox series for carbon, definition/s of metabolism, enzyme inhibition, and the terminology for bio/macromolecules as far as hydrophobic, polar/non etc.

does anyone else find biology classes a little challenging? if youre taking them in college i mean?

a lot of the stuff is stuff i learned in high school but now im learning it way more in depth, its intense.

halfassedjediknight
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
i actually have a question for anyone who knows about monomers and polymers.

arent they the 'building blocks' of molecules? like the lipids, arent their monomers fatty acids and glycerol?

maybe i should have posted this in science. i apoligize!

jdub61
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
i was able to get AP credit for bio so i don't have to take it in college, but biology was never more than straight memorization

jdub61
06-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Proteins ---> amino acids
Carbs ---> glucose, fructose, and galactose, i think off the top of my head
Lipids ---> i'd say glycerol+fatty acids
Nucleic Acids ---> i would say nucleotides. it could be broken down further to the P-group, the nitrogenous bases t/a/c/g/u, and the sugar... but i think nucleotide is the monomer.

halfassedjediknight
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
i actually just made flash cards from my discussion notes and this is what i got.

carbs - monosaccharides
nucleic acids - nucleotides
lipids - glycerol and fatty acids
proteins - amino acids

halfassedjediknight
06-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Carbs ---> glucose, fructose, and galactose, i think off the top of my head

i could be wrong, but those are the disaccharides, right?

im high so i could be mixing disaccharides and poly(?cs)saccharides.

we dont need to break them down that far i dont think.

420ultimatesmokage
06-29-2007, 04:38 AM
i could be wrong, but those are the disaccharides, right?

im high so i could be mixing disaccharides and poly(?cs)saccharides.

we dont need to break them down that far i dont think.

no those are monosaccharides, disaccharides are made of two monosaccharides such as sucrose (table sugar) which is a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose bound together by dehydration synthesis. polysaccharides are polymers made up of chains of monosaccharides

halfassedjediknight
06-29-2007, 08:24 PM
i aced that quiz easy. the carbon redox system and enzyme inhibition were probably my best areas.

i rented a little study room to study with my lab research group and we got all crazy before the quiz. i felt like a nerd writing on a giant whiteboard explaining how to shut enzymes off and stuff.

but i missed one point at most on that quiz.

sugareeeee
12-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Biology shouldn't be memorization, in fact "memorization" is not a very useful skill in real science when you grow up and get into the real world. An understanding of the underlying concepts surrounding an issue, and the range of their applications are far more important than the ability to memorize facts. If you are truly interested in science, then seek to understand the meaning behind the meaning, or the most fundamental aspects of each concept. Sure, general high school biology may seem like memorizing if you don't really care about what it all means; then you are just memorizing a bunch of words. If you actually try to put some meaning behind the words, it becomes understanding, not memorization. Science is great. If you find anything in that class even slightly interesting, and even if not at all, there are things you learn later on that will send you into a state of amazement and wonder. Things that seem almost unreal when you first hear of it. And then you look back on what you thought seemed difficult to understand in the past, and now it seems almost as fundamental as a single character from the alphabet to a writer, or a quarter note to a musician....