PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Sosa hits 600th homerun

budsmoker only
06-21-2007, 07:21 AM
he hit his 600th homerun tonight against the cubs...

i think its kinda cool that he got it against the cubs, cuz he was a legend there, as a cub fan myself i used too watch him all the time, crushing the ball...

it went to right field and it was off of jason marquis....

what do you all think about that??

Perp
06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
I think, he's a legend only in his own mind.

yoda
06-27-2007, 09:12 PM
too bad he stunk for the o's i guess. but congrats to him on reaching the plateau.

Its a Plant
06-27-2007, 11:58 PM
As far as I'm concerned, he will only be remembered for having that corked bat bust open...

Haha I mean seriously, what a filthy cheat. Why again was he not reprehended for having that cork? LOL oh yeah, he LIED and said he grabbed the batting practice bat on accident...

On another note, I really hate where baseball's at right now. Mainly because my Cardinals probably won't even make the playoffs (along with the Cubs but that's nothing new :S2:), the BREWERS will take 1st in the central, AND Barry Bonds is going to pass Hank Aaron here pretty soon, only further tarnishing the game.

God he's another cheater I want to see burnt at the stake. Maybe it's his "everyone's out to get me" mentality, or his egotistical, sickening swagger. Bonds used illegal supplements to get where he is today, there is no doubt about it. Take a look back when he first came in the league. He was a skinny, quick base stealer. Now look at him. Hank deserves to keep that record...I honestly hope someone challenges it once it does happen. ~

Perp
06-28-2007, 12:29 AM
No one is going to challenge it. Fact is, McGuire and Sosa saved baseball following the strike. It was their homerun battle that brought the fans back to the ballpark. Bonds, being how he is, felt left out of the headlines. So, he did what they did.
But, let's be honest. Bonds was a great player before he got on the juice. He would have been in the Hall of Fame either way. Sosa (not that he's going to make it) would have just been another good player. McGuire may have had a chance but after his evasive testimony about steroid use he won't make it.

Its a Plant
06-28-2007, 12:55 AM
I dunno I honestly think someone will step up and bring up the fact that he used illegal supplements to break the record. For God's sake, if Pete Rose is banned for LIFE over betting on the game, Barry HAS to pay the price as well...

I remember watching Baseball Tonight a while back and they were talking about how it's a pretty distinct possibility it will get challenged, and that no one besides the city of San Fran will celebrate or even acknowledge the fact that he broke the record. ~

geonagual
06-28-2007, 01:22 AM
He is another one of the steroid users...
IAP. your right. baseball's records dont deserve to be broken by these flat out cheaters..
FUCK SAMMY SOSA
FUCK BARRY BONDS
They have ruined the game
but a good thing is that
Griffey is having a decent year..
maybe he will get 600 in the next couple of years..
we know he is not a cheater cause he is a red..
Reinstate Pete Rose..

OniEhtRedrum781
06-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Wasn't there some sort of scandal where Sosa had a corked bat or something?

Its a Plant
06-28-2007, 01:41 AM
As far as I'm concerned, he will only be remembered for having that corked bat bust open...

Haha I mean seriously, what a filthy cheat. Why again was he not reprehended for having that cork? LOL oh yeah, he LIED and said he grabbed the batting practice bat on accident...
Lol, yes oni, there was. :thumbsup:

budsmoker only
06-28-2007, 04:59 AM
i agree with you IAP...
hank aaron deserves to keep that record and i member last year they were saying will barry bonds make it?? and shit like that and i was like god i hope not...
there is a tiny part of me that is like damn that will be cool to see, but at the same time, "fuck him".....
his shoe size grew while he was in the mlb... (how many other 30 yr olds have their feet grow).. and also i believe his head got bigger, like its a bigger hat size now...

im a cubs fan so i like sammy.... that cork in the bat thing was pretty wack but they x-rayed all his other bats and none of them have cork in it.... (not sure if that helps, but they did)....

either way tho, 700+ homeruns is a shitload of homeruns... same with 600+ god damn... haha

Its a Plant
06-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Oh, I mean don't get me wrong, Sosa is a beast, and I love watching him get a hold of one and sending it out of the yard....I remember when him and McGuire were going at it that year...I admit it was all fun to watch and made me a bigger fan of the game. ~

budsmoker only
06-28-2007, 05:20 AM
^^^
i loved that homerun race...
i watch the cubs anyway and that made it that much more better to watch it....

Perp
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Griffey is awesome. Imagine if he hadn't been injured so much in his career? He'd be right up there in HR. And yes, Rose should be in the Hall. There are many players of questionable character in the Hall (Ty Cobb) including racists and criminals. Gambling, to me, isn't even really that bad. He's paid his dues for whatever transgressions he made.

KevinFinnerty
07-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Barry Bonds is going to pass Hank Aaron here pretty soon, only further tarnishing the game.

God he's another cheater I want to see burnt at the stake. Maybe it's his "everyone's out to get me" mentality, or his egotistical, sickening swagger. Bonds used illegal supplements to get where he is today, there is no doubt about it. Take a look back when he first came in the league. He was a skinny, quick base stealer. Now look at him. Hank deserves to keep that record...I honestly hope someone challenges it once it does happen. ~

The fact that this mindset (which is way, way off base) has become so prevalent among baseball fans is one of the reasons I don't really like baseball all that much anymore, even though I loved it as a little kid. The thing that most baseball fans either don't realize or refuse to accept is that Bud Selig has tarnished the game a lot more than Bonds, or any other player, ever did.

Simply put, Barry Bonds is not a cheater because he's never failed a test for steroids (In case you were not aware, Bud Selig refused to introduce any sort of steroid policy whatsoever until 2004, even though his tenure as commissioner began about the same time as the post-1994 offensive surge in baseball). He's also never even been charged with any crimes relating to performance-enhancing drugs, let alone been found guilty. And even if he did take steroids, he certainly was not even close to the only player to do so. However, we'll never know exactly who was on steroids, thanks to Selig.

Another thing, you simply cannot tell who is on steroids just by looking at them except in the most extreme of situations (like the guys on fitness magazine covers who have more muscles than humanly possible). I mean, Barry Bonds is not the only baseball player who has excelled in his mid to late thirties while putting on some weight (You could make the case that Roger Clemens' success into his early forties and his substantial weight gain over the years are just as indicative of steroids use as in the case of Bonds, and Clemens has had allegations against him too). And if you still think you can spot the juicer from the non-juicer, well consider the fact that NOBODY believed that Rafael Palmeiro was on steroids before he got caught, even with Jose Canseco's accusations; baseball aficionados loved to point to him as the posterboy of the sweet-swinging, non roided-up power hitter. Also, a lot of the guys who have been caught for steroids have been smaller guys that nobody would have suspected (Alex Sanchez, Matt Lawton, etc).

The bottom line is that, by all accounts, steroids were extremely prevalent and basically accepted in baseball for decades, until Bud Selig decided that enough years had passed since the strike that the league could survive a steroid scandal and instituted a steroid policy in 2004. The fact that Barry Bonds has been singled out the way he has just because he's the best player of the so-called steroid era shows just how naive the average baseball fan is.

Now I'm off my soapbox.