PDA

View Full Version : Overprotective parents....

TheFatKid
06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
....please die. My parents were once like this. I couldn't go to the mall without an adult, couldn't go to the movies without an adult, couldn't do anything without an adult until I was like 12 and a half. Now I'm 15, I have a lot more freedom than I used to. A LOT more. Well now I'm in the AP classes with all the goody two shoes kids, and I'm noticing most of their parents won't let them do SHIT. I asked a few people to come to the mall with me. They couldn't because they needed to be with a fucking adult or leave by some ridiculous hour like 7:00. Thats the mall. I was out on the street at like 11-12 when I was 13, and nothing happened to me. Another girl in my class isn't even allowed to give her number to her friends and can't go on field trips. Why the fuck are people like this? I find it in mostly Albanian parents too.

TheFatKid
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah I know, I can understand it when you are young, but at fucking 15? Thats just like religious extremists.

sttomassmoker
06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
lmao, overprotective albanian parents.

lmfao

you have the chops of a stand up comedian or a simpson's writer.

M3nt0R
06-13-2007, 03:11 PM
it's natural for a mother of most organism to look out for the safety of her offspring. Humans are just like any other animal...beneath all that 'higher thought' crap, we're just operating on instinct/ Parents set curfews because they want you to be in a safe and sound environment.

Some just push it because they're the organisms in the species that seek even more protection for satisfaction. They get happy when you're safe. They want you to be safe so they don't have to worry or anything...

idk some are just overly-protective, though.

George W Bush
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
When your 12 you mostly need an adult in this day-n-age.

I mean cmon your 12 do you really have the proper decision making skills?

George W Bush
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
edit.......

birdgirl73
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
They're doing their job, Fat Kid. And if you are a good parent when you become one, you'll be the same way. Good parents know what their kids are up to, even when the kids become semi-independent, and the parents make rules for a reason, mostly to keep their kids out of trouble. You'll notice that the smartest, most successful kids (your AP colleagues) seem to have the most "over-protective" parents? Well, that's likely also why they're doing well enough in school to be in advanced placement. Their parents have set boundaries and had rules in place that keep them from being out roaming and potentially getting into trouble or being preyed upon somehow. They've likely also had rules and boundaries at home and a stable family life with parents who're engaged in their lives.

You said you were out on the street from 11 - 12? Well, in my book, that's mighty young to be without supervision. Not constant supervision, but at least some supervision. You're lucky that you didn't encounter any trouble. The impulse control and judgment of kids at that age isn't what it will be later on, and there are also pedophiles all over the place who fancy just such pubescent-age kids.

You'll see all this in a different perspective later when you're a parent yourself.

blazed620
06-13-2007, 03:33 PM
my parents were always over-protective...and i hated it...now im getting older tho..and its not as bad as it use to be...

TheFatKid
06-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I can sort of understand where you all are coming from, but in the same sense what danger will come from giving your phone number to your friends? And what's the danger in going out somewhere where there are TOO much security guards and almost no trouble goes on?

napolitana869
06-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I think the not being allowed to give you're phone number out is sketchy. Is she allowed to have friends over? I tend to be the type of person who assumes the worst, but that doesnt sound normal to me and it makes me think her parents are trying to hide something.

It's important to protect your kids, but it's also important to know when to let go. I think my parents did a good job with knowing when to let go and when to hold on, although I often didnt think so at the time.

WalkaWalka
06-14-2007, 12:45 AM
I dunno parents can be overprotective. The best teacher is experience. Its kind of like you should let your kids fall from the small tree so they don't try to climb a big one. Curfews always fuck me over. I had a midnight curfew for a long time and thats about the time shit starts to wind up. Sometimes I would not go home. Now in days they say be home at one. I kinda just roll in when I want and they're cool with it as long I give them a call before I leave. I haven't had a problem since the last time I went to a kegger. Its strange to deal with them. I can see where their at. Which is I hope this little bastard lives through the night and doesn't end up dead in the ditch or wreck his car or get in trouble with the cops. But on the other hand I like to have a good time. I've been through some fuck up though. One time the Sheriff called us at like 4 in the morning becuase this girl I'd been hanging out with ran away and I was the last one spotted with her. She wanted me to come with and I was like I got it pretty good here. So I dropped her by the payphone in town and went home at like 1:00 am. They were slightly freaked out to say the least. I've got my error margin down quite a bit since then and I've learned alot about people were I might not of doing something else. By the way I'm 17.

Matt the Funk
06-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Some areas can get dangerous past 12pm....but 7 and for a 15 year old is ridiculous. Those are the people that have little to no life experience.

rebgirl420
06-14-2007, 12:56 AM
My parents let me learn stuff for myself. But they were always there if I needed help.

Marco0172255
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I have cusins parents are so strict

I hate to see my cusin thats a fun but shy person be held bak from being himself by his parents which dont let him go any where

they dont have cable they dont got a basketball hoop the kids in the neighbor hood are fukin gay.....and they dont let him leave

i sayed there for like 2 weeks and we never left the house

Coelho
06-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Fatkid, my dad used to get the car and seek for me if i was not at home at 11 pm... even if i was coming from work... and i was 17...
I only went in a schools trip when i was in the college... And this overprotection only ended when i left home, at 21.

slipknotpsycho
06-22-2007, 12:49 AM
"my dad's attitude was 'just go do it! you'll screw it up but sooner or later you'll get it right, just go do it!" - christopher titus.

o.0 that's gonna be me.. but also as he says...

"there's certain lessons that shouldn't be applied to... like your first break job!... etc etc.."

YouTube - First Break Job (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aaZmlSEPVE8)

spliffstar22
06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
my dad would be the one to change my moms thinkin because she was like this up till i was maybe 5-6, then i just got corrupted, and went off with my older cousins just chilling.......i'd hate if my parents were like that though, parents just gotta chillout, give your child the correct knowledge that youve gained through experience, so when they experience the shyt you've experienced, they can handle themselves in a correct manner............and not make stupid decisions.........

DaPolarBear
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
My parents are kinda overprotective, and my moms a little paranoid because I was nearly busted for grass at the end of the year( they don't know I smoke, I lied my way outta trouble with a little help from a friend). So if Im going over to a friends place its always "Is there gonna be an adult there? Don't go anywhere without calling me (which i can understand and usually do, unless I'm going somewhere she would say no to)" And the whole No smoking, drinking, or anytihng illegal or immoral stichk.

cannabis=freedom
07-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Overprotective parents use the excuse that kids don't have any experience...well, why do you think that is? It's because they've never been allowed to do anything!

My dad is overprotective, and employed similar rules, but I didn't care. I just snuck out and went out. Just make sure your kid has a good head on their shoulders and then trust their judgment. Overprotection is a soul-crushing cesspool that just breeds anger, resentment and rebellion.

Btw, the amount of stupid adults I know is staggering, so a situation doesn't automatically become better by their presence.

Hardcore Newbie
07-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I wasn't allowed to use the stove until I was 18. My mom wonders why I'm such a bad cook these days :p

birdgirl73
07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I agree that with later adolescents you've got to loosen up the rope and let them do their thing and take risks. My husband and I sometimes disagreed on this. If they've proven they're responsible by not getting in trouble and keeping their grades up, then that, to me, means a good deal of freedom is in order. I mean this for older kids who're past driving age.

My husband is the more stern parent who tended to want to issue pre-emptive restrictions to prevent the risk of mistakes from ever occuring in the first place. That was what, I know, bred resentment on occasion in our boy, who certainly made his share of mistakes but seemed to be able to learn from them and then be allowed to proceed safely. I always believed in a longer leash, whereas Dave was always wanting to keep it reeled in in the first place. Fortunately, we're mostly through those leash-limit times now.

cannabis=freedom
07-12-2007, 01:57 AM
I wasn't allowed to use the stove until I was 18. My mom wonders why I'm such a bad cook these days :p

Exactly! Now, if she had let you use the stove from a young age...

you may possibly have received some minor burns, but those would all be healed and you'd actually know how to cook and also know what not to do.

Great example.

birdgirl73
07-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Was she afraid you were going to burn the place down or something? That makes me sad!

Didn't she ever cook with you and work with you in the kitchen till she could see you knew what you were doing? That was always one of my favorite mom-son activities, cooking with him. We had some of our best talks during those times, too.

Hardcore Newbie
07-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Was she afraid you were going to burn the place down or something? That makes me sad!

Didn't she ever cook with you and work with you in the kitchen till she could see you knew what you were doing? That was always one of my favourite mom-son activities, cooking with him. We had some of our best talks during those times, too.
She never taught me to cook, like the only thing my parents didn't do with me :P

I mean I'm alright I just can't make big fancy meals without lots of practice from a cookbook

birdgirl73
07-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I mean I'm alright I just can't make big fancy meals without lots of practice from a cookbook
Aw, heck, you're not alone there. If I try something big and fancy, I still need to practice, too, and to reference a cookbook, and I've been cooking for others since the early 80s. Sometimes I need to practice even if it's not big and fancy. Like with baking and candy-making. Or a meal that has more than four dishes where they all have to turn out ready at the same time.

I'm 16 and not allowed to use the stove or oven anymore. I still do at night to make pancakes or potato wages. Last time i made potato wedges i ended up with 2nd degree burns all over my hand and having to mop the floor at 3 am
Gmoneyapplesauce, sorry about your burns! Did you learn some new safety technique from that experience? If so, then here's hoping that won't happen again in the future.

nibbler
07-12-2007, 07:19 PM
As a mammy to three boys I have to say that I give them their freedom. They are 8,7 and 3.

As a child there was 7 kids in our family 4 girls and three boys. The boys where allowed travel and leave home to seek yonder or sow wild oats whatever way you want to look at it. At 17 i wanted to go to Germany to work as an aupair. He took me to court I never got to germany I also tried again at 20 to move to london again he intervened. This man was /is an enormous bully I love him he is my father but I do regret him stopping me. Not believeing in me.

So with my children I do things differently. I choose to let them choose obviously I have boundries but I heard NO!!!! so much as child I hope I never want to control there every movements. It's stifling.....:mad: