PDA

View Full Version : PC power supply remote ballast mod

Dizzy1
06-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Me again!

I got a couple of security 150 watt HPS lights. I didn't want a booty looking ballast in the cab or bare ballast innards on the side of my cabinet. I have way more computer parts then I know what to do with and I found the perfect thing to mount the guts in, a computer power supply enclosure.

The psu I chose was an old 150 watt unit. I gutted it, and mounted the other stuff in there. I also utilized the plug connection on the backside. It's not 100% complete, I still need a heavy gauge extension cord to chop up for the run to the bulb and then a plate to cover the hole where the fan used to be. I contemplated using the fan, but I didn't feel like looking up on how to wire it in (if even possible) and the case itself has plenty of airflow. It's getting late and I need to get my drinking going... it is Friday night after all. :)

the yeag
06-02-2007, 07:33 AM
get a fire extinguisher...nice home made shit rocks.

Dizzy1
06-02-2007, 07:36 AM
LOL
There is one about 2 feet from the cabinet.
I plan on running it for 4 to 6 hours when it's complete before installing the whole thing... while wearing sunglasses.

And if you look at my grow log, everything is home made! Except the pots, I'm not so good at the whole plastic polymer forming. ;)

personal growth
06-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Thats a cool idea. being a computer geek myself I have a cople of old p/s sitting around. thank for the tip .....

Dizzy1
06-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Finished the remote ballast and I've been running the light for about an hour... nothing has caught on fire, so major plus there. hehe
Camera has seemed to of disappeared otherwise I would show an tell.
The bulb and reflector are together, I think you all will like it.
Pics to follow!

And your welcome PG, from one geek to another. ;)
I would have to say my "success" is due in big part to my tech background. PC Fans? PC fan speed controller? PSU case? I'm kicking myself in the ass for not saving a POS USB web cam. I would have mounted it in the cab so I can always watch them. :smokin: Now there's another idea for ya!

Al B. Fuct
06-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Dizzy, I'd love to have a cam in my op, too! Just make sure your grow-cam is secure. No wireless cams!

There's technosnoops with video stuff in their cars these days- can recall a case not long back where some sicko was perving on his kids in the bathroom with a hidden wireless camera (probably transmitted on std TV freqs) and someone driving by saw the video on their in-car video/TV system. I don't mind that guy (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/070511cameraman.html) getting busted but it would be sad to see anyone get hosed for just minding their grow op.

If you ethernet it, make sure you cfg the IP to something unroutable. Obviously, USB is cool. :)

khronik
06-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Eh, from the sounds of that story, that guy wasn't jerking off to his kids using the toilet or anything. It sounds like he just wanted to catch whoever was peeing on the seat or something. Granted, it is pretty weird to have a camera in your bathroom, but it's not something that should get you jail time.

Al B. Fuct
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Which may be why the guy was charged with "violation of privacy" instead of some sexual misconduct charge.

Sorry, but there's no excuse to spy on your kids or (anyone else) in a bathroom. If you think you need vidcams to keep your kids' toilet habits neat, you probably need psychological help more than vidcams.

Dizzy1
06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Alright guys, I appreciate the visit to my post, but could you two please discus the filming of kids in bathroom in your own post.