PDA

View Full Version : marley has cancer

yoda
05-25-2007, 04:13 AM
this cat i have, marley, was diagnosed with cancer today. he's gotten fat over the last few years(he's only 6) after having a urinary tract infection. he began getting lazy.

the last two days, he's done nothing but sit around or lie down alone. he hisses whenever our other cat goes near him. the ultimately worrying sign was that he stopped eating. he'll eat a little bit of tuna out of my hand, but won't touch the dry food. so my mom and i took him to the vet yesterday morning.

had bloodwork done, got a call back tonight. he's been diagnosed with cancer, so taking him in again tomorrow for some kind of treatment. anybody else have experiences with their cats getting cancer? my friend had one, but she beat it.

40oz
05-25-2007, 04:20 AM
No but I have a dog that is obese. I should probably start making him go on jogs with me before he gets some kind of disease. Good luck with your cat, I know what it feels like to have sick animals with an uncertain future around.

yoda
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
went back to the vet this morning, had a chemo therapy injection. he actually seems to be responding to it, cause he started eating on his own this morning.

40oz
05-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Thats good. What did the doctor say his chances for survival would be? or did he just say its uncertain?

Melkane
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
A year and a half ago I lost my 5 year old cat Clea to cancer, I took her in as a stray a couple years before, she had this wound on her neck that didn't look to good, but I thought that it would eventually heal, well it never did, I tried all the home treatments to get it to heal, none worked. Finally after having her for a couple years and she still had it scratched open, I took her into the vet. They cleaned it, gave her antibiotics and stitched her up. A couple weeks later I was investigating the area and I noticed a lump by the area, over the next couple weeks it got bigger an bigger, more lumps began forming all over her neck I took her into another vet and they did a biopsy, it came back cancerous and they diagnosed her with lymphocelioma(sp), and too far gone to have any hopes of surviving. So I was forced to put her down. It hurt bad. It was so unexpected, she was so young.

yoda
05-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Thats good. What did the doctor say his chances for survival would be? or did he just say its uncertain?

it's uncertain for now. he's going back in next thursday for more blood work. hopefully caught it early.

napolitana869
05-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I would think him being young would improve his chances. Good luck. I hope he gets better soon

Nightcrewman
05-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Hope he gets better, modern vetinary care is fantastic so he's in with a really good chance

NCM and Dipsy (our cat)

yoda
08-10-2007, 08:03 PM
unfortunately, he' not going to make it. fought it for a few months, but my mom and i are leaving in about 20 minutes to put him to sleep. thanks to everybody who responded.

igot4cheep
08-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I am so sorry to here that. I have a cat also and I can only image it that where happen to me. Once my condolences are with you and your family.

slipknotpsycho
08-10-2007, 09:19 PM
unfortunately, he' not going to make it. fought it for a few months, but my mom and i are leaving in about 20 minutes to put him to sleep. thanks to everybody who responded.

atleast you know it's the right thing to do, i hope it don't upset you too bad man.... i've known people who freaked out horribly over it, like you'd expect of someone to do that came home from a vacation to find out their dog had a broken leg and infection.... like they hadn't done everything they could do.

keep your head up man.

TallCoolOne
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm so sorry. The death of a pet is the worse kind.

yoda
08-10-2007, 09:43 PM
atleast you know it's the right thing to do, i hope it don't upset you too bad man.... i've known people who freaked out horribly over it, like you'd expect of someone to do that came home from a vacation to find out their dog had a broken leg and infection.... like they hadn't done everything they could do.

keep your head up man.

hey thanks man. im freaking out a little bit. it'll be an adjustment, one less family member. im not going to go crazy over it though. he's been suffering a lot the last week or so, just not worth the fight for him.

qdavid
08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
The nurses at the dermatologist said Bob Marley died from a melanoma that first showed on the bottom of his foot. I keep meaning to Google that to see if it's true. This thread reminded me to do that.

qdavid
08-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Actually, he died from brain cancer they assume metastasized from a cancerous tumor that resulted from an untreated injury.

yoda
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Actually, he died from brain cancer they assume metastasized from a cancerous tumor that resulted from an untreated injury.

if i remember correctly, he injured his toe playing soccer. it got infected and went untreated? it then spread.

qdavid
08-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Fuck me. I should not post when I'm stoned . I forgot to say the injury was to his toe.

yoda
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/kylelax/marleychair.jpg

here's a picture of marley

V-DubLove
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
i had a cat a couple years ago that got "FIP," it's basically like AIDS for cats, there's no cure for it. he wouldn't eat anything, we had to puree food and use a big syringe type thing to force him to eat...it was awful, breaks your heart man. good luck with your cat i hope he pulls through

sam44
09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Sorry to hear that man. I went through the same thing last year when my cats liver was failing and we had to put her to sleep.