PDA

View Full Version : Our 4 year old cat just died

JaggedEdge
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I woke up this morning for work and saw one of our cats lying on the floor with his eyes open and his mouth half open. He was only 4 and my g/f said he was running around an hour and a half before I found him. He wasn't bleeding or anything. The only thing out of the ordinary was when I picked him up a really bad odor hit me. I assume that was just his body releasing gases though...

I will be posting a sister thread in the lounge.

xxxhazexxx
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
im really sorry to here that dude,its young for a cat to die fast like that i dont want to upset you mate but with a bad smell get the avet to check for posion,have you got nasty peeps living near you?the reason i say this it happend to my sisters dog :(

JaggedEdge
04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
No he was an inside cat, he never ever went outside. It is very odd though. From what I understand cats usually go and hide somewhere when they feel ill and are dying. He was just lying in the middle of the kitchen floor. We think rat poision, but the only place we put it is in the attic and I haven't seen any rats dead or alive on our level of the house. Plus this cat was a very picky eater, so I highly doubt he would have even tried to eat a dead rat. We searched the internet, and it said a lot of cats have a certain heart condition where they just die suddenly with out warning.

napolitana869
04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I would take him to your vet to find out the cause of death, especially if you have other pets in the house

JaggedEdge
04-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Animal autopsy's cost to much money... We can't afford to do all that. We will take our surviving cat to the vet tomorrow though. Get him checked for heart worms and all that. We are thinking it could have been a heart worm or more likely just a heart condition. I checked all their food and treats too, but none of them have wheat gluton as an ingredient (which has been blamed for many pets deaths in the food recall.)

You just reminded me to check the recall list again though.

Metaphor
04-17-2007, 11:26 PM
sorry to hear that man, i hope your other cat (or cats) have long and happy lives.

Matt the Funk
04-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Sucks to hear....RIP....

JaggedEdge
04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys, I'm not nearly as sad anymore. I still miss him, but it is going to continue to happen for as long as we keep adopting pets.